• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Aluminum vs. SS exhaust

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Title says it all. Im looking to pick up a gibson exhaust and im trying to decide between the aluminum or stainless steel versions of the exhaust, what are everyone's thoughts on this? Thanks
btw price difference is about 160 bucks

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
In my case, the SS performance exhaust was actually lighter and smaller than the heavier and bulkier aluminum exhaust and freed up a lot of space and weight (about 35 lbs.) under the belly of my T.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapataint

cbetts

NERD!!!
In California, the aluminum is fine. However, with you living in the land of salted roads, I highly recommend going with stainless.

To be honest, you may get a better deal with a muffler shop and get it all custom. Over the years, I have had my Gibson touched up at least five times with various repairs.

If you can, try to find someone that has the Gibson already to make sure you like the sound. The Gibson setup delete the resonator and causes a droning in the cabin that many people do not like. Personally, I love the sound of mine but it is far from the quiet truck I picked up from the dealer eight years ago. The one benefit I got from the Gibson was the relocation of the muffler to the area the resonator used to be. This opens a big area by the bumper fro things like an air compressor.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I'll have to check out the custom route. At this point I've settled o stainless based on what you and others have said. I am honestly looking for a deep gurgle and the magnaflow doesn't give that and the Gibson is closer ...maybe a custom with a cherry bomb muffler is what I need

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
In particular...the sound the C7 makes at the beginning of this video

[video=youtube;iqkmdoNHsr0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqkmdoNHsr0[/video]

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
I have a Magnaflow on my H3 and it sounds great. Originally had a Flowmaster and the noise it made was annoying. My 69 El Camino also has a Magnaflow and it also sounds great. Had a Gibson on a F350 I had, and the sound was so horrible, I put the factory exhaust back on.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Yea, I wouldnt expect that kinda noise from a stock 5.3l

I need to look into exhaust again. I love my magnaflow and will probably stay with it but I have a crack in the OEM exhaust tubing right before the muffler in the back. I have no idea how that happened...To make it worse its right in a bend so its like like I can cut it out, add a straight piece and weld it in. I also am assuming I have a cracked manifold up front. I havent taken off the shield yet but seeing its been common lately I am sure I am in that group. I really should just start over from the manifold back lol.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I think that "gurgle" has more to do with the cam in the motor.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Yea I figured it might...I'm just trying to get to a throaty sound, or at least as close as possible haha.

So SS it is....I'll keep shopping. As far as I have found MagnaFlow and Gibson are the only 2 that offer exhaust for the Alpha (I think).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MaxPF

AGNTSA
The "aluminum" is actually aluminized steel. Even if you don't live in the rust belt it will still rust internally from the corrosive condensates in the exhaust. Spend the coin and get the stainless.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
As already discussed, stainless all day long. The only reason to not go with stainless is if for some reason you just can't afford it and honestly if money is a big concern regarding an exhaust system, then you probably shouldn't be buying one for a hummer of all things :asoff:

Of course I am not saying you were implying that in any way OP, just giving a further explanation as to why one should go with stainless.