• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Adventr 2009 Championship Build

brschwan01

Notice anything different between these 2 pics????

Decided to toss a badge on there...

Also spent a few minutes and came up with a different gauge layout for my Torque Pro App (looks way better in person, camera phone doesn't like it)

It kinda defeats the purpose of asking the question, if you tell us what you did doesn't it.........

[emoji14]

The build is coming along nicely!

adventr

I gotta admit.... I was a little concerned whenever this package was dropped off. Mostly because I was expecting a MUCH bigger box. LOL

Pretty stoked about these. Have never had to search THAT hard for a darn set of shocks before.

adventr

Had to get the shocks installed ASAP, as I'm not a very patient person.

Took some quick/rough eyeball measurements of what I was working with, and fired up Solidworks. Tossed together a super quick/simple bracket for the reservoirs and cut out the pieces on the plasma table. TIG'd the pieces together, and then mig welded them to the shock towers. The placement worked out great. At closest point of contact, the tire is still over 1.5" away from the reservoir.
Not many pics taken, as I was in work mode, and just trying to get stuff done. I'll get some better pics in the next couple days.

Simple design pic:

Next few pics are with the front suspension unloaded with a floor jack:

This is a quick pic showing what it looks like at ride height (23" from hub to fender):

adventr

First impressions of the 5160s vs the 5100s:

- 5160s are quite a bit stiffer than the 5100s, which isn't a bad thing. Front end braking dive was reduced
- Rebound is much improved/stiffer on the 5160s

Only drove a few miles, so I'll make a more detailed comparison later on.

jphh20

Nice looking roof rack, building it custom or buying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adventr

Thanks. I'll be fabricating it from 1" tubing and some pieces cut on a plasma table.
Side and rear lights are 36w led flood, and front lights are 55w hid.

Will end up adding more to it before I begin construction. This is just a rough draft.

RamRod

Had to get the shocks installed ASAP, as I'm not a very patient person.

Took some quick/rough eyeball measurements of what I was working with, and fired up Solidworks. Tossed together a super quick/simple bracket for the reservoirs and cut out the pieces on the plasma table. TIG'd the pieces together, and then mig welded them to the shock towers. The placement worked out great. At closest point of contact, the tire is still over 1.5" away from the reservoir.
Not many pics taken, as I was in work mode, and just trying to get stuff done. I'll get some better pics in the next couple days.

Simple design pic:

Next few pics are with the front suspension unloaded with a floor jack:

This is a quick pic showing what it looks like at ride height (23" from hub to fender):

How much to get you to make another set!? Those look great?

adventr

Installed some new brakes this weekend. Also installed new OEM bumpstops (well worth the $30 they cost from dealer).

In a couple of the pics you can see the shock reservoir mount a little clearer.

Brakes came with all new hardware (slide pins, spring clips...ect)

New OEM bumpstops. You can also see how that UCA bumpstop works.

Did the rears as well.

adventr

Looks nice! Let us know how's those rotors and pads work for you.

So far so good. They bedded in nicely, and are much smoother than the rotors that I replaced. Pretty sure the old ones had some glazing/pad deposits ("warping") from the previous owner.

As far as these new rotors/pads go, I've used this brand on pretty much every vehicle I've owned in the past 5yrs. Never had a single issue or complaint about them!

adventr

Got my onboard air kit in the mail yesterday.
On past vehicles, I've used everything from cheap little Viair compressors, to engine driven York compressors, and even one of the high end Oasis 3000 compressors. All serve the purpose, but they were all pretty complex systems by the time you add in an air tank, plumbing, fittings, electronics for the controls..ect.

I wanted something "simple" for this rig. So I decided to try out a CO2 setup.

Got this kit from a Pirate vendor, Instant Air Supply. I also had them powdercoat the tank to match my H3.

http://www.instantairsupply.com/

First thing I noticed was how light the bottle is. It's all aluminum, so much lighter than a comparable steel tank. Place near my office fills the bottle for around $15. Going to get it filled sometime this week, and I'll update again with a report on how it performs.

adventr

Noticed a tiny bit of play in the driver side wheel hub whenever I was doing the brake job, so I picked up a replacement from Amazon.
They only had 1 in stock, so the passenger side will have to wait. But... It was tight anyway.

Also got my co2 tank filled today. As a trial run, I plan to use it tomorrow to run my air impact while I replace the hub bearing.
I'll weigh the tank before and after to see how much was used.

adventr

Did you get the new hub in? Was it a tough install?

Actually, I haven't done it yet. Ended up getting some kind of crazy stomach bug or food poisoning Thursday night, and was in bed the entire day on Friday... Lol

I did take it on the 200mi road trip yesterday, and it did fine. I checked the bearing for play last night after returning, and couldn't really feel any. I think what I may have been feeling the first time was actually the pry bar under the tire catching on the cement floor and making it feel notchy. Either way, I'll still end up replacing both bearings, as with 100k miles I'm sure they're due.

Going wheelin at a local offroad park tomorrow morning with a few friends. Looking forward to seeing how it does. We've been getting record rainfall all week, so it's going to be sloppy. Lol

Hunner

Were you hitting the metal stop before adding the upper bump stop? If you have not lengthened the sway bar links and those shocks are longer and your running stock tie rods I wonder how that was happening.
Do you think adding that upper bump stop will limit travel to less than stock?

CaseyS

The place where I fill my co2 bottle for my beer just does a bottle exchange so don't get too attached to that bottle. If you want that bottle filled in most places it is done off site somewhere and it has to be sent off and you will have to wait. It may cost more to do it that way too.

adventr

Were you hitting the metal stop before adding the upper bump stop? If you have not lengthened the sway bar links and those shocks are longer and your running stock tie rods I wonder how that was happening.
Do you think adding that upper bump stop will limit travel to less than stock?

Im pretty sure that it would hit that stop. Thought that was the noise I was hearing anyway when the front tires would suddenly drop. Noise went away when I added the stops. However, the stops are pretty cracked up now, so not a real long term solution. They just can't hold up to the UCA smashing them. Limit straps will be my next option.

Im sure it does limit travel a little, but not enough for me to be concerned. I'm really happy with the way that the suspension is performing at this point!

adventr

I have been eyeing that instant air supply setup on pirate. let me know how it works out for you

Used it today! Worked awesome. Used the inflator tool to deflate my tires when airing down, and then used it to inflate at the end of the day. Super simple setup that just plain works.
Also used it on my buddies rig today. Much faster than other options I've used.
I believe that Instant Air is having a big Memorial Day sale, so better order quick!

The place where I fill my co2 bottle for my beer just does a bottle exchange so don't get too attached to that bottle. If you want that bottle filled in most places it is done off site somewhere and it has to be sent off and you will have to wait. It may cost more to do it that way too.

Place just up the street from my office filled it for me. Just walked in, handed it to the guy, he went back and filled it, and handed it back. Took less than 5min. It's the same place that fills my big Argon bottle for my TIG.