• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

5 Speed H3 Things To Look For?

Real4WD

Might be purchasing a manual trans 5 speed H3 in few weeks. What are some things to look for as far as maintenance items on that vehicle vs auto
Trans?

Aside from clutch fluid, the clutch itself etc

08H3

Nothing. Rock solid.

Edit: May have posted initially with a manual transmission bias, but in all seriousness, I never had any issues at all over 300,000 miles.

atvspeed4

Pre 2008 had crappier syncros and smaller clutch. Ive had two 2006 5 speeds over the years both started having syncro issues eventually but I just dealt with it and they lasted a long time. I sold one around 100k but the second one I had 37s on it for several years as my commuting daily driver and sold at 198k on original transmission and the second owner put another 50k miles on it before he sold it with 37s as well

Real4WD

Good to know. You answered my next question....has anyone had issues with the clutch? How often do they get replaced on average (obviously it depends largely on the driver)? Any issue with the clutch cylinder etc

Exodus

I have an 08 5 speed,,i had the plastic shift fork changed first thing
I've had it in the shop twice with a peculiar issue, when in reverse if i have any pressure on the clutch i got strange noise like its got a lot of slop,, my mec tore it completely apart and found nothing ??
he is baffled, it might be a transfer case issue for mine ??

H3Hummer

my rig is a 5 speed to, i'm the first owner, 17 years old and just replaced the plastic shift fork. For the rest, just maintenance and changing used stuff . Rock solid 👍 :cool:

Jeepwalker

Worst case, manual trannys are easy to rebuild ...and generally not very expensive if it's just worn synchros, synchro collars and shift bushings. If you have one that needs some work, something to consider. Then yer good to go for a long time.

Also know that different lubes can affect how they shift. Shifting works by engineering a known amount of friction into the synchros. And as synchro rings wear, the friction surface area changes (generally increases slightly). Switching to an oil other than what is factory specified may be "slippery-er" or less so, and throw off the shifting. I've experimented with different oils and lubes on some manual transmissions I've had (Toyota's) that I personally rebuilt both. I used to have two exact similar trucks with the same setup. Yeah, you could definitely tell the difference between different lubes in shifting. Going with a so-called high-end synthetic gear lube, for example, might seem like a good idea, but it *could* affect shifting negatively. Maybe yes, maybe no. It'll probably have some slight different characteristic even if minor. So my recommendation is to buy the right GM stuff, when you get your tranny installed at least to establish a baseline before trying something else.

Last edited:

Real4WD

Worst case, manual trannys are easy to rebuild ...and generally not very expensive if it's just worn synchros, synchro collars and shift bushings. If you have one that needs some work, something to consider. Then yer good to go for a long time.

Also know that different lubes can affect how they shift. Shifting works by engineering a known amount of friction into the synchros. And as synchro rings wear, the friction surface area changes (generally increases slightly). Switching to an oil other than what is factory specified may be "slippery-er" or less so, and throw off the shifting. I've experimented with different oils and lubes on some manual transmissions I've had (Toyota's) that I personally rebuilt both. I used to have two exact similar trucks with the samhe setup. Yeah, you could definitely tell the difference between different lubes in shifting. Going with a so-called high-end synthetic gear lube, for example, might seem like a good idea, but it *could* affect shifting negatively. Maybe yes, maybe no. It'll probably have some slight different characteristic even if minor. So my recommendation is to buy the right GM stuff, when you get your tranny installed at least to establish a baseline before trying something else.
What fluid do you recommend exactly? Seems like people are VERY picky with what goes in manual transmissions due to additives and what not.

The owner's manual (2007) calls for Manual Transmission Fluid (GM Part No. U.S. 89021806), but I believe the "GM" fluid is discontinued.

Jeepwalker

Looks like it was superceeded by #19354435 [HERE]. Probably any mainstream dino lube of the same specs would work fine, but to go GM, there's a link below. If you know a small town family-owned GM dealer near you, many will sell fluids out of their bulk oil barrel (real cheap). Call the part's dept and ask ahead of time. Bigger dealers will just laugh, so try a small family dealer. There are 3 dealers by me who I go to regularly (GM & Chrysler) for OEM fluids (bring yer own jugs LOL). One Chrysler dealer I go to has a pile of clean milk jugs in the back corner of their parts dept which workers bring in. It's kind of funny. They sell ATF+4 way cheaper than I can get anywhere else (for jeeps). Same with our local Chevy dealer, I can get DexCool real cheap from them. Plus it gives me a chance to go down and banter with them ...and they treat me right on pricing too. I try to use all factory fluids on my vehicles so I don't have to keep track (except diff fluid which I've been using Walmart Synthetic gear lube for like 25 years ...in all my vehicles).

This from a forum post ..but other sites show the same:
"Looking on-line, I found listed on multiple GM supplier websites that the M/T fluid part number 89021806 has been replaced with 19354435. Both are General Motors GL-3 fluids so I assume they are interchangeable. The replacement number is much more readily available."

Hope it helps! :)

Last edited:

Real4WD

The vehicle I was looking at was sold yesterday. Guess I couldn't make it down to Texas fast enough. It's a shame...that H3 was a 5 speed adventure with OEM offroad lights.