• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2012 JKU Review

justintaylor

Well-Known Member
Messages
63
Location
utah
Tim great looking rig, I am really looking forward to the build as well. How long do you plan on keeping the Jeep?
 

ajk150

Well-Known Member
Messages
196
Location
Haverford, PA
Great looking jeep (yes i said it). I'm looking into a 2012 4dr rubicon know and a 2011 toyota 4runner trail... not sure which way i will go yet, but i definitely like whats been done to the new JK's. Can't wait to see how your build goes, and what issues you run into. Get an idea where to spend my money and where not too.
 

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
Messages
765
Location
Colorado
Tim, I'd love to hear some pros and cons of the H2 vs the Rubicon. I've gotta admit, I dig some of these built up Rubicons - they appear to be able to go where lesser vehicles don't even try.

No doubt a built JK can go into most trails, but that comes with a cost. You can build a daily driver/ weekend warrior or you can also build a buggy off this platform. 6K in mods can get you a very capable JKU and still handle well as a daily driver. 35's on a JKU will get you into most places. To do some of the harder trails, 37's suit this wheelbase nicely.

Comparing the H2 to the JK is pretty tough. They are two entirely different trucks.
The JK is more comp. to daily driving/ wheeling the H3. In fact, a comp. of those two truck would be much easier to do.

Here's some thoughts on driving the SUT/ JK back to back. not that one is better over the other, but these thoughts popped into my head.

SUT pros: on road ride, full size comfort, large fuel tank, sound system quality, interior noise level at hwy speeds, lux qualities.
JKU pros: Visibilty on/ off road, easy to park due to size, top/ doors off, endless accessory list, can still buy new.

For those thinking of getting a new wrangler, the 2012 is the way to go for power over the previous years...unless you plan to do a Hemi or diesel swap. Buy the Rubicon if you plan to wheel and not build/ swap out axles. Make sure to order the 410 gearing also. 373 is standard on the Rubicons now. With this engine/ trans/ gearing, you can run 35's where the previous years would have to swap in 488 513 in the Autos. If you plan to go bigger on tires, you'll have to swap gears still.

If you like your trucks with more of a lux interior, Katzkin makes the factory leather option. As of now I think you can order the ebony leather interior. Tan was the only leather color you could order from the factory when I got mine. So I will be puting that in at some point. You may also want a headliner kit available through Hot Head Headliners.

That's about all I can add for now. LMK if you need feedback on specific things or pics on anything.
 

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
Messages
765
Location
Colorado
After putting some miles on this truck, this 2012 is night/ day diference over the 2010 I had. It was noticeable when I first got it, but after a handful of trips into the mountains, the powerband/ transmission on this one is very much appreciated. I did put an AFE exhaust on this truck, but just pulled it yesterday. The interior drone was terrible on that kit. I'm going to wait until Dynomax has their new kit ready and than try that one. I have had zero issues with the truck to date! no interior noises from the materials. I am on my 3rd windshield though. :thumbs: Don;t ask. :roll: Damn truck driver. Than the window guys messed up the 1st replacment. The 3rd is perfect though. :) I will go through roughly 3 of these a year as I did on my HUMMERS.

The interior needs more for my taste, and I new this when I bought it. I'm going to work on this befre the lift since I will not wheel again until our Moab trip in April. This is Ski season!!!! lol
I want to upgrade the interior to get this truck the way I want it. For me, it needs a couple changes. Some will say "It's a Jeep" leave it that way. It's not supposed to be nice inside. :huh: whatever!

I'm going to pull the seats and carpet first. My goal is to give the JK a more upscale interior to my liking. By "upscale" I intend to make it quieter inside and give it a look more comparible to the H3 Lux interior I had in my 08 Alpha. I'm going to Dynamat the floor and firewall inside the cab to knock down a little more noise. It's not bad now and I can use the Bluetooth without issue, but I want it a little quieter. I may do the doors too, but I'll see how well the first step goes. Next, I'm going to remove the hardtop and have it painted dark grey to match the interior plastics. I'm going to add the headliner kit after that. The headliner kit just fills in the inset areas, so the exposed hardtop will match vs white, and will give it a more finished look.

seats are OK. The H3 seats were more comfortable on the Lux package. I have cloth heated seats now (first year as a factory options for the wrangler), but am going to add custom Katzkin leathers. I did this in my 2012 too. It's easy to wipe clean!!! After a couple weekends off road and the top off, I was baning the crap out of the seats to get the dust out of the cloth..and doghair was a pita to get out of the seats too. lol. Leather is much easier to clean/ care for.

With those upgrades, I feel this JK will give the look/ feel of a more upscale interior and should have db levels equal to/ or less than my h3 did when I'm done. at least that's the goal. Outside of that, I'm happy with it.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Thanks for the update, I am interested to hear about the interior changes you do and let me know what you think. My brother is doing a few more mods in terms of offroad credibility then its time to start the interior mods and if all goes well for you we can just copy :)
 

H3DONIST

Well-Known Member
Messages
447
Location
USA
Nice review so far. I've always liked the looks on the unlimited, but I'm a creature of comfort and the interior is just too spartan for me. That and the price always seemed so high for what you get. Jeeps are kinda like Apple products, pretty on the outside and way overpriced. They've also both got fanatical, brainwashed owners that feel there is nothing better. lol Not to say you're a brainwashed fanatic Timgco. :wink:
 

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Messages
3,718
Location
Indianapolis, IN
Thanks for the review Tim, one thing always liked about the jeeps over the H2 and H3 are the removable doors and roof. Sometimes in the summer it would be nice to do that, the monster moonroof gets close but not quite, such a shame the HX never came out....

Sent via Tapatalk
 
Top