• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

1992 H1?

Lownslow79

Hi,

Norwegian guy here. Not sure if it's a midlife crisis thing, but seriously considering to replace our electric family SUV with this beast.😅 Wife and daughter not happy. Son very happy.

Limited community for these here in Norway, so I thought I'd check with you guys who have probably seen it all.

Generally just want to see if there are any obvious red flags before I fly to see it. Don't know a lot, but from what I've read I gather that the 6.2 is more reliable than the 6.5?

The listing is in Norwegian, so it basically says that the transmission has been converted to a manual automatic whatever that means or implies. It also says that the AC is not installed but is included as a heap of parts. The cabin floor has recently been insulated as well. Fairly new wheels, tires, water pump, batteries, main switch, etc.

Doesn't say anything about CTIS and the pictures are limited.

Did a VIN check and think this car at some point lived in AZ.

All comments much appreciated!

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 6.2 is a reliable engine. A bit underpowered but the Hummer isn't designed to be fast anyway. The factory AC did not work well in the 92/93 models when it worked. Most 92 H1s had CTIS but not all of them. Interior parts are out of production and hard to come by. Most mechanical parts are available. Items like the CTIS manifold are a little more difficult to find but are out there. AC parts for the older trucks are not very available but there are aftermarket options for adding AC. Not sure what they are saying with the "manual automatic thing. Original transmission was a 3 speed. Truck tops out at 55-57 mph. It will go faster but it won't like it. I would make sure that the wheels and tires are designed for the H1. Many aftermarket wheels don't support the CTIS system if the truck has it and many wheels aren't designed for the weight of the H1.

LagunaH1

My main concern would be the transmission..... what exactly was done to it and why? Same question about the aircondition: Why was it removed?

I read the ad and it's a 1992 limited edition so that's interesting. The rims shown in the photos are definitely not CTIS compatible as is.

Lownslow79

Did some research before flying up before 10th Jan.b No CTIS on this one, but fair enough I don't need it. Not sure about tranny either but will get the full story once kicking (big) tyres.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
All 92s were limited edition. They only made 316. All were sold directly to the consumer, some through Nieman Marcus.

Lownslow79

Hi again. Just came back after a trek across country to look at the truck. No rust on cabin. No rust underneath apart from some minor corrosion on one of the "portals". Pretty weird, looked like that kind of corrosion one gets on alu, not steel. Some very minor oil sweating from all portals and under the tranny, but in my mind that would be normal? Not dripping on the floor kind of bad, apart for a few drops under tranny on the floor.
Had a feel around underneath on shafts, everything seemed nice and rigid, no play.

There were "plastic skid plates" underneath along sides that made it hard to check for rust everywhere, but they don't use much salt on the roads that far north.

We didn't try driving it in other than H. No bad sounds during test drive, and the engine ran like a very big kitten. No belt squealing or anything else bad.
Thinking I should try the diff.lock gears before making the plunge unless you guys think it's a no brainer and it most likely works.

A bunch of snags on minor stuff, poor defroster heat on windshield, etc but nothing that I can't fix myself. Thinking about putting in a Webasto anyways to heat engine and cabin. No need for AC in Norway so don't really care that it has been removed.

Will post pictures if I buy it. Ironically it's a lot smaller for luggage space than my Tesla X, but I'm jumping ship from the electrical revolution anyways, fed up with charging all the time.

Thanks for all comments/tips so far.

John

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't sound too bad. The old saying is " if it doesn't squeak and leak it isn't a Hummer". The lightweight skid plates weren't plastic but they weren't very hardy either. Should be aluminum or the heavy duty ones were steel. The defroster fan may be weak or the ductwork loose. Sometimes the controls don't actually work the diverters either. At best the defroster on the Hummers is not good. The later models had windshields with the electric defroster wires in them. Those worked much better. More than likely the transfer case is fine but it wouldn't hurt to drop it in low lock and see if it works.