• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

#11-08-61-001A: Underbody Squeak/Creak/Crunch Noise

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
#11-08-61-001A: Underbody Squeak/Creak/CrunchNoise During Slow Speed Maneuvers (Replace Body Mount Cushions) - (Apr14, 2011)
Subject:
Underbody Squeak/Creak/CrunchNoise During Slow Speed Maneuvers (Replace Body Mount Cushions)

Models:
2004-2011 ChevroletColorado

2004-2011 GMCCanyon

2006-2010 HUMMERH3

This bulletin is being revised to updatethe Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 11-08-61-001(Section 08 – Body and Accessories).
ConditionSome customers may comment on a squeak/creak/crunchtype noise coming from under the vehicle while driving. This conditionis most noticeable when driving at low speeds over uneven surfaces suchas driveway entrances or in parking structures.

Cause
This condition may be caused by frictionbetween the upper and lower body mount cushion assemblies.

Correction
A revised body mount cushion assembly isnow available to correct this condition. The revised part has an anti-frictioncoating that will eliminate the noise. Use the following steps to diagnosethe condition and install the required service part(s).
To diagnose this concern, use chassis earsto determine if the noise is coming from the body mount cushion. If thesource of the noise is determined to be caused by the body mount cushion,replace all of the upper body mount cushion assemblies on the vehicle withthe revised parts.
Use the following steps to install the revisedcushion assemblies.

Important: On HUMMERH3 models, it is necessary to disconnect the fuel fill pipe from the fueltank to prevent damage when lifting the body.
Note: On vehicles equipped with a front skid plate, it may be necessaryto remove the skid plate from the vehicle to access the front mounts.

Disconnect thefront parking brake cable from the parking brake equalizer. Refer to ParkingBrake Lever Pedal Assembly Replacement in SI.

Warning When you remove the body cushions,do NOT separate the frame from the body more than is necessary (over 40 mm(1.57 in). Possible personal injury and damage to multiple parts mayresult if you do not follow the guides outlined below: • Intermediatesteering shaft--Do not allow the shaft to extend more than 25 mm (1 in).• Fuel tank filler hose--Do not stretch the hose excessively. • Tail/Turnsignal lamp wiring/rear lamps junction block--Leave slack in the wires.• Park brake cable--Leave slack in the cable. • Body ground straps--Leaveslack in the wire.
Replace all ofthe upper cushion assemblies on the vehicle. Refer to Drivetrain and FrontSuspension Frame Insulator Replacement in SI.

Reconnect the frontparking brake cable to the parking brake equalizer. Refer to Parking BrakeLever Pedal Assembly Replacement in SI.

Parts Information

New Part Number

Existing Part Number (use for location reference)

Description

CUSHION, BODY BOLT UPR LOCATION #2

CUSHION, BODY BOLT UPR LOCATION #1

CUSHION, BODY BOLT UPR FRT

Warranty InformationFor vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

E9541

Install Revised Upper Body Bolt Cushions-Regular and Extended Cab PickUp

1.8 hrs

Install Revised Upper Body Bolt Cushions-Crew Cab Pick Up and HUMMER H3SUT

2.0 hrs

Install Revised Upper Body Bolt Cushions-HUMMER H3 SUV

2.6 hrs

GM bulletins areintended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occuron some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the properservice of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment,tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies toyour vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. Seeyour GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit fromthe information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIANCERTIFICATION

© 2011 General Motors. All rightsreserved.

Red Emphasis Added by Yours Truly
These are very important if doing this job!

This is a technical bulletin NOT a recall. The dealer should have no problem doing this repair while under warranty, since it is an item covered under a Tech Bulletin.

Last edited:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Nope. New rear shocks, but did not fix my noises. Told the dealer it wouldn't, but heck, new shocks for free; can't beat that.:)

My problem is exactly what is described in this bulletin. And it is loud enough that people hear me coming a block away. And especially noises when turning into a driveway on an angle. So, I'll keep everyone posted on the repair. The dealer ordered the new cushions today. BUT, that is why I emphasized the info to REPLACE ALL. The assist service manager looked at the description and said ok, I'll order two of them, and I had to direct her to the sentence to replace all, and that the 2 was talking about a position.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bingo ! ! !

I am printing that sucker out and taking it with me to Sewell on my next service visit.

Thanks.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
And for those who need to try this at home..this shows the upper 'cushions' whch we call bushings.
bodybushingsreplacements.jpg

LagunaH1

The assist service manager looked at the description and said ok, I'll order two of them, and I had to direct her to the sentence to replace all, and that the 2 was talking about a position.

I bet they hate it when customers know what they are talking about :)

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Some do, some don't. Really depends on the dealer. Dealers don't like to do warranty work since GM tracks their costs, and dealers make more money on customer pay. (For customer pay they will use another labor time guide which has increased the labor hours by about 50 to 100 percent and they charge the going rate. GM pays for the time to do the job and has a set amount, set by the average of the prevailing labor rates for a specific area. So where this one says 2.6 hours, Chilton, Motors, AllData, etc., might say 3.6 hours.)

Dealers like bulletins because the part replacement is never questioned. I'm going to assume that when the dealer sends back my shocks and if they are tested, they might get some grief since they were ok.

I get mixed signals from the Chevy dealer here in Moab. Since they only work on a few Hummers during the year, they are not that familiar with them and I believe they were happy to see the bulletin. (Even though they can check for bulletins via ESI, but like most dealers, they don't.) The dealer in MI, loved me since I would help them out at times on Hummer problems. And that extra help paid off great when they did the under the table purchase of my vehicle from GMAC, then turned around and sold it to me.

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
I bet this is what my H3A had...and could never be duplicated more than once when they had it for weeks. LOL.

Hope you get yours squared away.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Dealer replaced the cushions today and it did the job. Amazing how quiet the H3 is now when I drive over rough roads, into a driveway, etc. Now I have the normal spring busing squeaks, but the loud obnoxious creaking and squeaking noises are gone.

2007HummerH2

f5moab,
Just out of curiousity, how loud was the clunk/clank squeaky thing, that you heard from the back end of your truck? Exactly what did it sound like???

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
An update. After running trails for two days, the noise is back. Not quite as loud, but back, so I'm back to my original thought; " it is the springs." Going to have Moab 4x4 Outpost rebuild them with poly bushings and teflon or nylon spacers.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure how long the fix will last, but after two days of waitng on parts, the above proceedure appears to have corrected my squeaking issue.

Thanks F5.

Poor service guy was a bit put off when I gave him a copy of the bulletin........ :wink:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I will, but I'm trying to find out the size of the bushings so it will be a few hour job vs. a few day job.

No one seems to market any for the H3. I'm trying to find someone at GM who can pull a design drawing that would give the spec (ID/OD)