• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2015 Chevy Colorado Diesel Concept looking good.

rascole

I'm drooling. Yahoo article.
attachment.php

Attachments

• d9dc3720-7050-11e4-a4ab-bde19bada7f4_zr2top1.jpg
    d9dc3720-7050-11e4-a4ab-bde19bada7f4_zr2top1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,069

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Remember the word, "Concept," does not mean it will ever be produced. In fact, odds are it never will be. The engine will be offered but the rest is as it states a concept vehicle. Some will remember the H4 "concept," vehicle and the actual H4 design that would have gone into production was nothing like it.

RamRod

That package, if it becomes available, would be a rather attractive option. However current diesel prices is about 30% higher than gas prices and practically negates any fuels savings to be had by switching to diesel

Sent from handheld smoke signal device

SuperBuickGuy

Remember the word, "Concept," does not mean it will ever be produced. In fact, odds are it never will be. The engine will be offered but the rest is as it states a concept vehicle. Some will remember the H4 "concept," vehicle and the actual H4 design that would have gone into production was nothing like it.

this is a package not a vehicle... even if GM doesn't come out with the package, we can build it ourselves with the bits they are providing (the diesel, small pickup).

That package, if it becomes available, would be a rather attractive option. However current diesel prices is about 30% higher than gas prices and practically negates any fuels savings to be had by switching to diesel

Sent from handheld smoke signal device

yes but - the sticker on my H3 was $52,000, the sticker on the diesel (with needed options) is $45,000. Figure if GM does this, that would add another 5k - which is still less than what mine cost but this one has the same torque, less hp, but more gears (6 speed).... and still, it proves that with just a few mods (even if GM doesn't do the mods) the new pickup can be a pretty capable rig.

Last edited:

rascole

This is more than a concept. It is a production ready concept, that means all the engineering has been done for the suspension and drive train. Even if GM does not roll it off the floor, it shows that aftermarket companies can readily reproduce the concept. Then that gives us more options. I am already a hold out for the diesel since my 01 Silverado will soon go to my son. At least GM has it in their minds to remember the off-road group, I sure remember the H4/X concept. I am going to see it in person this weekend at the LA Auto Show.

Last edited:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
this is a package not a vehicle... even if GM doesn't come out with the package, we can build it ourselves with the bits they are providing (the diesel, small pickup).

Did I say you could not do the work yourself? And in the GM world, a concept vehicle is the same as a concept package since packages would be designed for the vehicle in question. So call it what ever you want, a concept vehicle or a vehicle with a concept package. All I tried to do is explain that the majority of GM concept vehicles NEVER hit the assembly line and after 18 years at GM engineering I do know a bit about how GM operated.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
This is more than a concept. It is a production ready concept, that means all the engineering has been done for the suspension and drive train. Even if GM does not roll it off the floor, it shows that aftermarket companies can readily reproduce the concept. Then that gives us more options. I am already a hold out for the diesel since my 01 Silverado will soon go to my son. At least GM has it in their minds to remember the off-road group, I sure remember the H4/X concept. I am going to see it in person this weekend at the LA Auto Show.

In most cases I can remember, all concept vehicles were engineered and production ready. GM engineering is notorious for making concept vehicles, there have been a few in the off-road segment for the full size PU that never made an assembly line. The problem is not with engineering, the problem comes with marketing and then to the bean counters.

Marketing surveys and investigations will determine the estimated number of vehicles that will be sold for that "concept" vehicle. It is then turned over to engineering to figure the basic costs and then to the bean counters to determine if there is a profit to be made. Included in that is not only production costs but estimated warranty costs, liability, etc.

If it shows that the market is weak, no vehicle will be produced; if the market is viable, then GM might go ahead with production. I guess it all boils down to how viable the off-road market is in this day-and-age for a small pickup truck. (I believe the small pickup truck market is extremely strong; especially for only one vehicle.) Just don't base the numbers on those on Hummer or GM forums breathing heavy for this vehicle. GM will look at the overall market; not just the small number that are on Hummer and even GM truck websites (when compared to the number of actual people who own vehicles).
Time will tell....

As for the H4, the concept design was ruled out due to costs to produce vs. now many would be sold. That was why the actual production vehicle looked a heck of a lot different than the concept...still a nice looking vehicle, still a great size to hit the Wrangler head on, but different. Remember, when the H4 was hitting the board, Hummer sales were dropping. However, the H4 was dropped due to GM being out of money. If I can remember correctly, the H4 was dropped first, and a month or two later, the H2 redesign was dropped, and eventually the entire brand was scheduled for death. And then old GM died. But one thing I learn from talking with friends at the New GM, including engineering, and legal...GM has not changed. My personal opinion is they might actually be a bit more money conscious now since they are facing billions in future litigation from ignition switches plus the costs to replace those switches.

It would be nice if GM would produce something for the off-road public, but I sure won't hold my breath.

This little truck with the diesel is really directed at the full size PU owner, who does not need a large interior space or bed, and just needs to pull something like a board or small trailer. The engine specs are pretty impressive for a small PU.... 2.8L Duramax Diesel, 181-horsepower at 3,400-rpm & 369 lb-ft of torque at 2,000-rpm.

rascole

Did I say you could not do the work yourself? And in the GM world, a concept vehicle is the same as a concept package since packages would be designed for the vehicle in question. So call it what ever you want, a concept vehicle or a vehicle with a concept package. All I tried to do is explain that the majority of GM concept vehicles NEVER hit the assembly line and after 18 years at GM engineering I do know a bit about how GM operated.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. Was just stating it is more than a paper or "mule" concept. I'm sure there will be some SEMA concepts as well.

atvspeed4

In most cases I can remember, all concept vehicles were engineered and production ready. GM engineering is notorious for making concept vehicles, there have been a few in the off-road segment for the full size PU that never made an assembly line. The problem is not with engineering, the problem comes with marketing and then to the bean counters.

Marketing surveys and investigations will determine the estimated number of vehicles that will be sold for that "concept" vehicle. It is then turned over to engineering to figure the basic costs and then to the bean counters to determine if there is a profit to be made. Included in that is not only production costs but estimated warranty costs, liability, etc.

If it shows that the market is weak, no vehicle will be produced; if the market is viable, then GM might go ahead with production. I guess it all boils down to how viable the off-road market is in this day-and-age for a small pickup truck. (I believe the small pickup truck market is extremely strong; especially for only one vehicle.) Just don't base the numbers on those on Hummer or GM forums breathing heavy for this vehicle. GM will look at the overall market; not just the small number that are on Hummer and even GM truck websites (when compared to the number of actual people who own vehicles).
Time will tell....

As for the H4, the concept design was ruled out due to costs to produce vs. now many would be sold. That was why the actual production vehicle looked a heck of a lot different than the concept...still a nice looking vehicle, still a great size to hit the Wrangler head on, but different. Remember, when the H4 was hitting the board, Hummer sales were dropping. However, the H4 was dropped due to GM being out of money. If I can remember correctly, the H4 was dropped first, and a month or two later, the H2 redesign was dropped, and eventually the entire brand was scheduled for death. And then old GM died. But one thing I learn from talking with friends at the New GM, including engineering, and legal...GM has not changed. My personal opinion is they might actually be a bit more money conscious now since they are facing billions in future litigation from ignition switches plus the costs to replace those switches.

It would be nice if GM would produce something for the off-road public, but I sure won't hold my breath.

This little truck with the diesel is really directed at the full size PU owner, who does not need a large interior space or bed, and just needs to pull something like a board or small trailer. The engine specs are pretty impressive for a small PU.... 2.8L Duramax Diesel, 181-horsepower at 3,400-rpm & 369 lb-ft of torque at 2,000-rpm.

That is really cool to hear the inside scoop from the otherside. Must have been pretty neat to see the revised H2 along with the H4 that would have possibly headed towards production.

SuperBuickGuy

take a deep breath, no one said anyone can't do the work themselves... I'm not sure who you were looking to quote, but I simply joined my voice in chorus with others who said the same thing - package, not concept.

and thanks for your service :horns: without you, we'd be stuck in a Heep.

Panzer07

I don't know it doesn't look that great to me...never the less I guess my mind would change if It ever makes it into the production line and more important the trails.

Torres

CaseyS

Don't hold your breath for any diesel offerings. They have that in there just for show in the US. They will not offer it here then sell 80% of their foreign sales with that engine in it.

rascole

Don't hold your breath for any diesel offerings. They have that in there just for show in the US. They will not offer it here then sell 80% of their foreign sales with that engine in it.
Every article that I have read says it is already been announced by GM that is a go. Several websites it has already passed epa testing. I know not to believe everything so we will have to wait and see.

rascole

Some pics from the LA Auto show. They said that the diesel will be an option on the 2016 models. It has already passed all EPA testing and they are testing it with the new 8 speed auto that is currently available in other vehicles.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20141126_110630 (1280x960).jpg
    20141126_110630 (1280x960).jpg
    633.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 20141126_110914 (1280x960).jpg
    20141126_110914 (1280x960).jpg
    579.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 20141126_110644 (1280x960).jpg
    20141126_110644 (1280x960).jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 212

RamRod

I though GM already said it's going to be offered in 2015, in the Canyon and Colorado?

The truck is available in '15 but the diesel option always was a '16 launch date

Spotted a gasser today parked behind me

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1417321450.025928.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1417321450.025928.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 115