• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Time to upgrade the H4O forum software

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
And no, that doesn't mean banning anyone in particular!

I just purchased a license for Xenforo forum software, a modern upgrade over our current vBulletin software. I have no idea how to do the work so I hired a freelancer to do it. If all goes well we may have a working Garage again! The current Garage software is third-party add-on that the developers abandoned about a decade ago and the Garage has not worked in a while. It's very likely we can migrate over through custom mapping but it's not guaranteed. But migrating the Garage is a requirement in the job description.

The forum may be down for a few hours to do this change and a notification will be sent out ahead of time.

This will probably happen in the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to retain all of our current functionality and perhaps add more. I may elect to add some very limited advertising on the forum to offset these costs. I'm not trying to get rich off of the forum but it would be nice to offset costs. I know this is a break from what I've stated in the past. When we started this forum, ads often slowed down a website considerably but I don't think that's the case as much anymore. I'll look at it on the test server to see how it looks.

The hardest thing is that likely everyone will be logged out. I hope you remember your passwords. If you do not remember your password, do NOT use the current forum's password reset feature. It will probably fail and it may ban you because it's so screwed up. Instead, please do either of the following:

Password reset procedure options
1) Private Message (PM) me before we do the change and send me the password that you want to use. I will set your password and notify you when it's completed
2) After we change the forum use the new password reset feature.

I'm also hoping we get better registration security so we don't see these spam registrations as much anymore. We get from 10 to 40 spam registration attempts each day and I have to manually review them and decline them. Most are easy to identify, some are harder and this leads to delays in approving registrations for legit individuals. VBulletin is too old to put in updated security.

One of the nicest features of Xenforo is the use of a "responsive" website meaning Tapatalk will not be necessary to use the forum on a mobile device. I'll likely maintain the Tapatalk integration but I may sunset it over time.

I don't know if the Photo Gallery will migrate or be used as it seems like the Garage does the necessary work. Any thoughts on this?

Any other requests for the new forum, features you want to see migrated, items you want to see removed, items you want to see added? I don't know our capabilities yet but I'm open to suggestions.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Alex,

Awesome news!

Question, ever since photobucket went a-wall I and I'm sure others started using tapatalk to upload photos to posts. What happens to those photos if tapatalk goes away and does the new software have the ability to upload and or host photos?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Dang good question! Maybe for that reason we'll keep the Tapatalk integration. We can host more pictures directly than before (I increased the limits) and I'm not sure what Xenforo will do for us there. I'll keep this in mind as we transition.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Getting closer... Hoping to change over right before or after this coming weekend.

Garage - pics will come over but not mods lists and that stuff. Sorry about that. Maybe a bit later I can figure out something.
Look will be similar
Tapatalk will likely launch with forum but will be phased out soon. The new site has a good mobile page without using the data-grabbing Tapatalk.
I'll add in more changes and tweaks after we launch.

deserth3

Don't think tapatalk will be a great loss. Just noticed quote and thank are dimmed and can't be selected.
We appreciate all of your work.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Appearance-wise the changes are small and that was the intent. Behind the scenes the changes are massive. Much more secure platform. More options for features. Better screening of the many, many spam registrations we get each day. More customization. Stable and supported software. The ability to add to the Garage, even if we cannot add within the old format. But now members can have discussions within the Garage regarding the builds. Better management of attachments, making it easier to upload larger items. Better mobile presence making Tapatalk obsolete (or will soon be for us). Better ability to share threads to platforms outside of H4O.

Korby7

I'm liking the new format and appreciate all of the time, money and effort involved. Thanks Alrock.
So far, I have not been able to find a way to remove images from the garage. I have some that I need to weed out on mine. Any tips?