• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

joekicksit

So Sunday night I went off-roading with some buddies and we stumbled across a mud pit.... went through it a bunch of times and eventually got stuck.. (for some reason it wont let me upload the pic of it stuck) got pulled out all that stuff and the rig was fine.
attachment.php

So tonight (Tuesday night) we went back to the same spot and the mud pit wasn't as deep or as much water in it so we figured it would be even easier.... So I went through it and my battery light turned on, So we checked the battery, shut off the rig and turned it back on and it was fine. My buddy in his 08 V8 Silverado went through the pit and got stuck trying to climb out of the hill part of it, after we pulled him out we all had our trucks off and were standing around talking and then when he tried to turn his truck on it wouldn't turn on...... So we jumped him using my rig......... and after a good while his truck finally turned on and as I got back into my rig the lights started dimming and getting bright and it died on me. We tried jumping it and it wouldn't turn back on. It would get jumped and loses power not too long after being hooked up to the cables..... So I got pulled out of the trails by a guy we met out there, and got pulled to my friends house who lives not too far away....
We tried jumping it again and it would not work.
As i was being pulled all my electrical shut off completely.
At first my lights were still working. Now to even roll up my windows I had too hook up the jumper cables to get enough juice to roll em up:banghead:
My friends all said to just let it sit all night and see if it turns back on tomorrow after its all dried...
Is there any ideas or tips of things it could be or what I can do?

Attachments

• photo 5(4).JPG
    photo 5(4).JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

benlaud87

Have you checked the battery cables? I had an issue like that on another vehicle and it was not the battery but the negative/ground was bad. If you have a multimeter you can check the voltage across the battery and if you can get it running by jumping it, test across the alternator.

deserth3

Sounds like you fried the alternator. But it could very well be a bad connection or a bad battery. But I think you killed the alternator.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

joekicksit

We tried jumping it and it wouldn't turn on. I'm crashing tonight at my friends house and in the morning if it doesn't turn on on its own then my other buddy is going to come and check the voltage. I my self am not mechanically inclined and I am barely starting to learn a few things here and there as things come up..... like my rig dying in a ditch :gaah: If I can't get it up and running my parents are going to be pist when I show up to the house with my rig covered in mud on the back of a tow truck.....

joekicksit

They noticed I took it into the mud Monday morning and basically just told me to be really careful not to kill my rig and I said of course not, cause with out it how else would I get to work:whaa: Soooo now only two days later they will think I killed my rig right after telling them I wouldn't ahahah
attachment.php

Attachments

• photo 4(4).jpg
    photo 4(4).jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 127
  • photo 5(5).jpg
    photo 5(5).jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 342

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I agree, I think it's the alternator.

As for the pics issue, there are limits on the size picture that you can upload to the forum and that's what likely prevented your "stuck" picture from being uploaded. You can either decrease the size of the picture or use a hosting service like Photobucket and link to the picture.

SuperBuickGuy

it's the alternator, and maybe a battery as well since it's not holding a charge. Most batteries recover enough to get a vehicle home as long as they don't have to start them and the driver practices good electrical management (no thumping stereo, no lights, etc)... the problem is if you run it too low, the battery breaks down as well.

Ed's06h3

Like everyone said your alternator is fried. Maybe you can yours rebuilt to save you some money instead of getting a brand new one. Hope everything works out for you

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Agreed with what everyone is saying on the alternator.

That is too damn funny. Every yellow hummer is attracted to mud pits and water drowning.

Big2dabank

Obviously go for the cheap fix first and check the battery cables, just to be sure. Could just as easily be a connection jarred loose from all the bouncing around.

Woodtick

Start by repainting your rig. Yellow is doomed. You may get away with replacing your alt,as suggested above. You could do an engine swap?3.7,5.3,6.2,you know what,just do the alt.

4speedfunk

I have done this trick on many vehicles (including computer-laden late models). Not sure if this will work on a Hummer but you might give it a try....

Start the truck.
Loosen and remove the positive battery cable while its running.
If the truck continues to run, it means the alternator is charging sufficiently.
If the truck dies, it means the alternator is not putting out enough voltage to keep the truck running, and its probably shot.

I base this trick on the fact that most cars ONLY USE THE BATTERY FOR STARTING....and after that, the vehicle's electrical system is fed entirely by the alternator. Obviously, you'll want to perform a REAL test on either...but, this can sometimes point you in the right direction and save you the expense and hassle of replacing components that may be okay.

(PS...I still vote its the cables)

joekicksit

Yea I got a new battery and the alternator isn't charging the battery, a dad's friend who is a mechanic took a look at it and said my alternator is fried, my buddy who works on his own cars/trucks said he doesn't think its fried but that there's something wrong as far the alternator getting current to the battery... So tomorrow or Sunday I am going to take everything out and clean everything and check and see if its just a connection problem, if not then I guess I am buying a new alternator.....and I like my h3 being yellow F.Y.I. :giggle: