• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3T Hans3T's Tuff Country Build

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Hey there, H4Oans!

Well, 06 H3 went and got me all jealous, so I had to rush out and get a lift for my truck too...

:wink:

In all seriousness, I had actually bought the Tuff Country lift back in October and, for multiple reasons, had to wait until now to have it done. I'm now glad to report that the lift is on and everything is running smoothly thus far. Anyway, here is a write-up for you all to participate in.

First things first...

Why a Tuff Country Lift?:
  • Cost. Normally, the TC is about half the price of the Rancho. Since my kit was actually an XD Wheels Suspension Lift -- better said, a TC lift with an XD sticker on the cross member -- I did even better than that.
  • I sifted through a lot of forum threads titled "Rancho vs Tuff Country" and the likes, and could find no hard evidence (just personal opinion) that one was superior/inferior to the other. I will agree the bump stops are designed better on the Rancho, but couldn't justify the extra money for just that.
  • Why not a TC lift? I was willing to take a chance and try and help out the community with some unbiased info.
A few points about my particular install:
  • I chose to have the lift installed by a local shop. There were multiple contributing factors to this, not the least of which is my ineptitude with regard to mechanical components, lack of tools, and harsh winter weather.
  • I decided to continue using my OEM wheels and 33" Dueller A/T tires for the sake of my budget.
  • To allow the OEM wheels to fit properly with the lift, I used a set of 1.5" hub and wheel-centric spacers to kick them out some.
A few FAQs I've seen in the past, answered for you:
  • The front OEM transmission skidplate and/or the front OEM GM UCP cage will NOT fit after the lift.
  • YES, this lift will work with H3Ts (obviously) and it will work with all model year H3s as well.
  • It took the shop approximately 10-12 hours to complete the lift.
  • You could run up to 37" tires...but 35"s are recommended from the manufacturer.
  • The installation guide for the TC lift can be found here in case you're curious.
I think that covers some of the more frequently asked questions. Please feel free to ask any other questions and I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

The weather has been gross here, so my arsenal of photos at the minute is low. The few that I have are in my build thread, in post #8. Feel free to check them out.

As for before/after measurements...unfortunately it was snowing/freezing rain here the night before I went to the shop, so I was unable to measure the OEM heights. Right now I am at around 26" from hub to fender with the lift.

Here is a snap of the "phases" of lift.

phasesofliftcopy.jpg

And a couple more of just the lift...

PICT0358.jpg

PICT0377.jpg

I'm sure I'll add more info to this thread as I go...feel free to add any wisdom/opinions/etc you have. I want this thread to be useful to those who are pondering a Rancho versus Tuff Country lift, since I had a hard time finding one myself beforehand.

:cheers:

Last edited:

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Now a few questions for the community:

The technician did encounter one problem on the install, which is that my OEM front skidplate (the one embossed with the H3 logo) will not fit back on now. He says it is too bent up (it's slightly bent, but nothing dramatic) to fit on. I am wondering if maybe the instructions called for cutting the skidplate some to allow it to fit? I am not sure...perhaps somebody can offer a thought on that. For now, it is in the bed of my truck.

EDIT TO UPDATE: I ended up using a custom skidplate up front because I do not have access to metal cutting tools. The '06-07 OEM skidplate can be used with the lift but must be cut. TC offers directions, but my mechanic decided to ignore that part of the install for whatever reason... :roll:

I can hear a faint squeaking/rubbing noise at times when turning my steering wheel. It is coming literally from my steering wheel...almost sounds like plastic rubbing plastic. This was not happening (or at least was not noticed by me) before the lift. Any ideas?

EDIT TO UPDATE: This noise alleviated itself. Not sure what it is, but it is gone. Could've been something to do with the steering angle being adjusted...but I don't know.

Last edited:

05Mudiak

Yes the factory skid plate does req a trim on both rear corners.

Did he install the grease fittings in the rear crossmember I had to drill holes to install them

I will snap a couple pics for ya in the AM

skippy

As stated the OEM skid plate will fit I would get hold of the rancho install manual it will show you with measurements that will help you Btw looks good I wish I could have the wheels inside the guards Nice work

algin5109

I checked out the tc lift before I got my h3 so it's been a while . Does the lift relocate crossmember that relocates torsion bars. Does the lift also level the front end by itself or do u have to crank the bars after the lift to level.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Hans, I have a custom-fabbed plate/shield that came with my BA bumper that is cut narrower on the sides than the OEM '06 plate/shield where it bolts onto the bottom of the BA that you could have if you pay the shipping. I'll take a pic of it next to the OEM '06 "H3" embossed skid plate/splash shield before I leave for work this morning to give you a better idea of how it's cut & if you think it might work for you.

08H3

Truck looks great! I'm not directing this at you, or anyone specific, but outside of appearance, what's the point of lifting an H3? The only reason that I have ever known to lift anything was to put on larger tires for more ground clearance. 35's will fit a stock H3 fine, and unless you do some drivetrain mods, anything over that is a ticket to major repairs in my opinion. I know I have more clearance with cranked T-Bars and 35's (in the front anyway) than a Rancho lift. Besides that, the lift raises your COG.

Again, Hans, your truck looks great...not at all trying to rain on your parade. Just wondering what the real world advantage of a lift on an H3 is.

Last edited:

05Mudiak

With the lift you get stock front end angles to include the tierods so hopefully the chance of splitting the rack in 2 pieces are greatly reduced plus your CV's and ball joints will thank you but you do put more stress on the wheel bearing so pick your poison. Plus when you pull up next to a H2 and your the same height they give you a WTF look.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
You also gain clearance at the bumpers mid section and rocker panels. This can help for rockcrawling and even mud. COG isn't a huge concern because you go out the more you go up. I have gone out 3 inches and up 4

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Yes the factory skid plate does req a trim on both rear corners.

Did he install the grease fittings in the rear crossmember I had to drill holes to install them

I will snap a couple pics for ya in the AM

Honestly, I am unsure if he drilled holes in the rear crossmember, nor if he installed grease fittings... Looking forward to a pic for reference! :)

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Hans, I have a custom-fabbed plate/shield that came with my BA bumper that is cut narrower on the sides than the OEM '06 plate/shield where it bolts onto the bottom of the BA that you could have if you pay the shipping. I'll take a pic of it next to the OEM '06 "H3" embossed skid plate/splash shield before I leave for work this morning to give you a better idea of how it's cut & if you think it might work for you.

Thank you, Luis!! I really appreciate that. No matter how it looks, I will take you up on your offer! I need to have a skidplate up front regardless! :)

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Hans, here are some pics. I'm pretty sure it will work. It is well-made and should fit right on & the holes are perfectly placed. It was on an the H3 that I got my BA bumper from. The owner included the skid because he had no use for it after he got rid of his rig and I'm going with the OEM 06 shield when I get a winch bumper on my T.
oemcustomshield2.jpg

oemcustomshield3.jpg

oemcustomshieldoverlay2.jpg

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I started to use it as a test piece for some Duplicolor bedliner - that's why most of it is black - I'll clean up the rest and paint it for you. It looks really good with the bedliner and will be really easy for you to touch up.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Hans that should work perfect for you. I started to trim mine yesterday and still need to cut a tad more. That one seems narrow enough

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Here's how the shield looked on Fit4Duty's H3 (you can kinda see it) & he wheeled the piss out of his rig (lots of rocks) and he said it worked fine for him. As you will see, there are no dents in the thing - it held up really well. PM me your shipping address and I'll get you a shipping quote.
fit4duty.jpg

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
I started to use it as a test piece for some Duplicolor bedliner - that's why most of it is black - I'll clean up the rest and paint it for you. It looks really good with the bedliner and will be really easy for you to touch up.

Luis, you are truly a gentleman! I really appreciate all of this. The painting is the cherry on the sundae -- it's waaay too cold here to paint.

I'll PM you my campus address. :cheers:

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
What contact?...Inquiring minds want to know...it's time to share and come clean boys! I may need to "contact" that contact too! :)