• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Forum Data breach?

Kurt

I got a notification that my password was exposed from this forum, which isn't a huge deal since I use unique passwords on everything but I was wondering what exactly got exposed? Just this forum or the server that's hosting it? etc?

May want to update passwords if that's the case.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I've got no knowledge of any breach. What kind of notification did you receive, and how can you be sure it's legit? Do you know it to be a data breach on the server or could it have been on a compromised device or local network?

Kurt

I've got no knowledge of any breach. What kind of notification did you receive, and how can you be sure it's legit? Do you know it to be a data breach on the server or could it have been on a compromised device or local network?

Google security picked up on it and flagged hummer4x4offroad.com specifically , I should have screen shotted it I guess but I changed my passwords/vpn for accessing this site.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Got it too.

Ummm my password was
FCHO?

I might be in a mood and telling people something like that.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Please change your passwords if you have such a notice. Be sure to log into the forum directly vs. following a link in an email to avoid any phishing links. So far I've not had any notices of compromises and we've not had to clean up any issues. We keep up on the security updates and we have a good hosting service. At the same time, the vBulletin software that runs this forum is old, and perhaps less secure than other platforms, and financially it doesn't make sense to switch to newer forum software services as those cost thousands for a service (forums) that's declining in use year over year.

If anything big happens we'll make the necessary changes, including fundamental changes to our OS, and I'll keep an eye out for any abnormal activity, like Gunner45 posting or Bigunit crossing cattle guards without getting high centered.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
I post. Usually is is something bad about Luisa or Dave and they delete them before anyone else can see.

Kurt

It could have been a vulnerability on the phone app which is separate from the bbs/server side thing.. who knows. I thought it was odd because I have a unique [aka not my email] login and a unique to this website password.

Good password habits usually dodges most of this stuff, eg. not using the same login/password on everything, I ended up getting a few 1Password accounts for my family members to manage their passwords, one had the habit of using his bank pin number for everything :)