• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Can Not Bleed Brakes...HELP

DaveH3

2009 HUMMER H3 Base

I changed the right front brake caliper, and all the brake pads. The system will not charge enough to bleed the brakes. I tried the procedure posted at thread 5672, and it didn't work. Is there a fuse that powers the brake booster motor? I don't hear anything at the master cylinder of notice it do anything. Do I have to do something with the ABS System? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

5gn-h3t

Make sure you have fluid in the reservoir, key on, bleeder open, press the pedal down just enough to make the brake switch, you should get fluid shooting out of the bleeder.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
And Key On (ignition on, but H3 not running) is the most important detail that 5GN references. I'm sure there's a brake booster fuse but I don't have that diagram or the owner's manual handy. Do you have any ABS warning lights on? If so, that could be the issue. If not, I doubt it's an ABS issue

DaveH3

Fluid is the reservoir and ignition is turn on. I do get brake and ABS warnings. They showed up after I started the brake change. No fluid come out

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Are you getting those warnings when running the car now? Were you doing any other brake or wheel work, like replacing a caliper?

DaveH3

I did replace the front right caliper because I took it apart instead of pulling the pins to get the brake pads off. I replaced it, because I originally though that is why I couldn't bleed it. I am getting the ABS/Traction Control warning. I connected an OBD code reader and I got a Code C0010 Pump Motor Circuit Malfunction, C0131 ABS/TCS Sys Pressure Circuit Malfunction, and C0267 Low Brake Fluid. The reservoir is full.

DaveH3

So it turns out the reservoir wasn't full. The brake fluid was up to the neck of the reservoir. As you add more brake fluid, it ran into another chamber in the reservoir. Once that was filled, the brakes bled with no problems. With the new clear brake fluid, you couldn't see it on the outside of the reservoir at the full line. Brakes were bled, and everything is back to normal.

scoreh3

DaveH3 , thanks for the follow up on not being able to see the one reservoir clearly and it was empty. That will be something we can all keep in mind when bleeding our brakes.

H

harveyspecter

2009 HUMMER H3 Base

I changed the right front brake caliper, and all the brake pads. The system will not charge enough to bleed the brakes. I tried the procedure posted at thread 5672, and it didn't work. Is there a fuse that powers the brake booster motor? I don't hear anything at the master cylinder of notice it do anything. Do I have to do something with the ABS System? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Visit this link to view the ABS module work.

You can view Rocketcarparts to see how to use the ABS module bleeding brake.

EndeavoredH3

So it turns out the reservoir wasn't full. The brake fluid was up to the neck of the reservoir. As you add more brake fluid, it ran into another chamber in the reservoir. Once that was filled, the brakes bled with no problems. With the new clear brake fluid, you couldn't see it on the outside of the reservoir at the full line. Brakes were bled, and everything is back to normal.

I went through this delightful troubleshoot a couple years ago, a definite "huh, interesting" moment.

H3nightrod

Can anyone help me with location of fuse for master cylinder? With power on truck on no brakes. Master cylinder is full but no breaks. Pedal goes to floor. Any ideas?