• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

SoCal Event - Bishop, CA - July 27-28

cbetts

NERD!!!
Yep, the time has come for annual Bishop trip. My schedule got a little hectic this year so I had to make it a little shorter this time. We will be taking the same two trails (Silver/Wyman Canyons and Wheeler Ridge) but his time we are doing Silver Canyon at night!

Friday - July 27th - Silver/Wyman Canyons

Description: Silver Canyon starts at the bottom of the White Mountain in the town of Laws just a few miles north of Bishop. This run will provide some spectacular views of the stars with no city lights to interfere. We will then descend down Wyman Canyon. If everyone is up for it, we will return back the way we came in. This is an easy trail but the the heights can be intimidating. Low range will be required for the switchbacks. We will be getting close to 12,000 ft elevation so those that come into town the same day for this run may experience altitude sickness. :link:

When: July 27, 2012

Where: Laws, CA

Time: 8:00 PM, we will meet up and head out once everyone is ready. Airing down is optional for this run but it can make the ride more pleasant.
Meeting Spot: In the clearing next to Silver Canyon Road just outside of Laws. :link:

Communications: CB channel 37

Saturday- July 28th - Wheeler Ridge

Description: Wheeler Ridge is a fun trail that will require decent ground clearance on the technical areas. Lockers are not required but can make some obstacles easier. Depending on how quickly we get through this, we will be taking a detour to a beautiful isolated lake for some great scenic views. :link:

When: July 27, 2012

Where: Swall Meadows, CA

Time: 10:00 AM, we will meet up and head out once everyone is ready.
Meeting Spot: In the clearing off Sky Meadow Road in Swall Meadows. :link:

Communications: CB channel 37

Confirmed Attendance:
cbetts - H3 (both days)
Zach - H2 (both days)
Kurt - H1 (Saturday)
Mb30sdl - H2 (both days?)
JRWid - H2T (both days)
H3-ING - H3 (Saturday)
elripster - H3
Portager - H3T

Possible Attendance:

Last edited:

Kurt

I'm In. Both days, I'll stay two nights and drive back Sunday.

I'll put the light bar on my shopping list for this trip :D

Last edited:

Fish

I will be camping July 22-26 so I think doing both may be to much for me..maybe next year. Have fun:cheers:

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I hope to make this and I think I've talked Colleen into coming. But mark me as tentative. My work is talking about sending me to Bozeman Montana around that time and said they would pay mileage (although they haven’t seen the bill yet), so I might be doing a Hummer road trip and some rock hunting around that time with my wife.

H3-ING

AdventureTime
I had to change things up this trip. I wanted to run Coyote Canyon but I do not have time for a pre-run. It has been MANY years since I have been on that run.

Is Coyote Canyon out of Big Pine? Sanger Meadow- Coyote Flat?
I checked out the lower parts last year but the Forest Service still had closed access to vehicles because of the burn.
You sent me this link a couple years ago. The author has some nice write ups of the area.
http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/

Have you done Wyman to Crooked Creek?
When I ran Wyman a couple years ago I was tempted but was solo so held off.

27b60e87.jpg

cbetts

NERD!!!
Is Coyote Canyon out of Big Pine? Sanger Meadow- Coyote Flat?
I checked out the lower parts last year but the Forest Service still had closed access to vehicles because of the burn.
You sent me this link a couple years ago. The author has some nice write ups of the area.
http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/

Have you done Wyman to Crooked Creek?
When I ran Wyman a couple years ago I was tempted but was solo so held off.

Yep, same Coyote. It gets washed out every year so I wouldn't lead the group without a pre-run of some sort. I usually take the Bishop route but come back out in Big Pine.

Crooked Creek is a pretty drive. There are some nice cabins up there. Not a rough road by any means. You would have been fine alone. A chunk of Wyman got washed out but someone made a nice bypass several years ago. Lots of fun at night!

Nacho

Now with Chese
I should be able to make this one, will have to see how things line up once it gets closer.

Kurt

I take it most folks are leaving southern California on Friday afternoon to make it up there? I'm planning on leaving work a bit early to beat rush hour and have dinner in Bishop or along the way... maybe I can convoy with someone up from the Valley, I plan to go N on 5 to 14 then up through Palmdale/Mojave...

Sircode13

Sounds like a fun trip, but the last time I was up that high (12,000') I was up at Brians Head Utah in March for our 25th anniversary and couldn't breathe, for the entire week. I ended up driving down to the valley, which was only 6,000' each day to catch my breath. I thought it was going to be my last. Would love to go, but don't think my heart condition will let me. Still thinking about it though..... anyone know CPR. LOL
:banghead:
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: