• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Camping cots or other ideas?

skeptic

I just got back from another great weekend camping trip, and the wife and I agree that the only thing we don't like about camping is the sleeping arrangement. In a tent on the ground on a pad or inflatable mattress is what we've been doing for years, but it's just not working for us any more. I had a few ideas running around in my head, tent trailer, roof top tent, some kind of bed setup in my H2 with one of those SUV tents... I'm starting to think a couple cots with thick foam pads/mattresses in my existing tent may be the best idea. I really don't know much about camping cots. Never used one, don't know what to look for in one, don't know the pros and cons. Space is a concern, I don't want anything too bulky to travel with as I'm pretty stuffed as it is when we take both boys and both dogs camping. I suppose a roof rack would resolve that if I had to.

Advice, thoughts, other ideas?

Big2dabank

Look up Discobed, they have single, double stack and even triple stack cots. Saves lots of room in the tent and packs up easy.

0564.jpg

0504.jpg

0419.jpg

Last edited:

skeptic

Look up Discobed, they have single, double stack and even triple stack cots. Saves lots of room in the tent and packs up easy.

I probably worded it wrong. I'm not concerned with room in the tent, the wife and I have a 6 person (more like a 4/5 person) tent to ourselves now that we've kicked the boys out to their own tent. My space concerns are how small it packs up.

skeptic

Outside, in their own tent, in a hammock, sleep in the back of the H2.. I don't care, just not in the tent with the wife and I.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Check out the Kamp Rite tent cot. If interested in them, I have 2 almost new ones that I'd sell for less than half of retail price.

skeptic

I'm interested in a cot for inside my existing tent, not a cot that is a tent. I've done some poking around but haven't bought anything yet.

whiteflamingo

I think hammocks are the best, but they're not necessarily tent friendly. I got mine and my wife's from grandtrunkgoods.com. I've slept a good amount on army cots and while they're comfy I've never woke up feeling bad out of my hammock (hangovers aside haha). I know you can get hammock stands so that you can use them just about anywhere and not rely on what's in your environment, so maybe you could make it fit in a tent. It doesn't sound like a hammock would be your thing, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents.

Panzer07

This is how I usually camp. Light, cheap, and efficient. Just out in the open...the closer to nature the better, as it was intended.
22a85dfd5d2118356f484652475b6fa2.jpg

7960e03da4e7e68485ea3935ab9bfa7d.jpg

Torres

skeptic

Hammocks and half shelters sleeping on the ground is all well and good, but but I'm talking about car camping with my wife. We have both done our fair share of walking into the wilderness with just a pack on our backs in our younger years. Now I'm more interested in being comfortable when out in the woods. A tent trailer isn't completely off the table, and I'd be willing to try sleeping in a hammock on a trip with just me and my boys, but my bad back would not take sleeping on just a ground pad and I don't think the wife would be comfortable without at least a tent.

jakesz28

If you car camping it is hard to not have a decent cheap aluminum army style cot. Being higher off the ground and not sleeping on a rock is nice. The lower end cots will weigh about 20 lbs. So they are for camping by your vehicle. I recently bought some Alps mountaineering lightweight cots. These are about 10 lbs but only 4 to 5 inches off the ground. Helinox cots are about 5 lbs but also quite pricy.