• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Functional DIY Crossbars for the H3

Zerreitug

Post #9 Shows the updated bracket design.
Below is the original post w/ images.

Hey Everyone,

I just thought i would share my latest project with you all. I made a set of crossbars that I consider to be more functional than the OEM/Aftermarket options at less than half the cost.

The seed for this project started when I first bought my H3 and got rid of my truck, which was my main lumber hauler. I ignored the idea & the inability to transport large lumber until my wife and I decided we wanted to take a road trip but we wanted the back of the H3 to be a flat platform where we can have a small bed, and a little fridge/cooler for our food. With this new requirement, i decided it was time to make the H3 more functional and ended up with this DIY Crossbars that I think are superior to anything that can be purchased readily for the H3.

Because of the strength these bars offer, i can use them to carry lumber and equipment. I plan to find some type of storage solution for our clothes and stuff regarding the road trip which can be fastened to the crossbars directly.

Materials used:
1x 12 Gauge superstrut - 10ft
4x 1/2" zinc plated carriage bolt - 2-1/2"
4x 1/2" zinc cut washers
4x 1/2" zinc nuts
1x can of spray can bedliner
4x custom designed & 3D printed crossbar mounting brackets (my friend 3D printed them for me).

Total cost was approx $40 in materials
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.jpg

7.jpg

image4188.jpg

image4199.jpg

image4221.jpg

image4232.jpg

16.jpg

image4254.jpg

18.jpg

Last edited:

Zerreitug

I like it!

I have had bad experience with printed parts, but for this applicable with a primary compression load it should work great!

Thanks mdocod, I dont have much reservations with 3D printed parts. I think it is just a matter of the material used to create the part. My friend gave a suggestion to modify the 3D model to accept a bushing of equal height to the printed part that serves as the load bearing portion. Its a good idea so i may do a redesign in the near future. I am always up to improving the design. Now i just need to test it and put it through its paces.

JPaul

Neat, but personally I'd get some aluminum bar to use for the spacers, the roof channels are level with each other so that's not an issue. I used some 1" tall x 1.25" wide bar for spacers for my roof basket and it works great.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Zerreitug

Neat, but personally I'd get some aluminum bar to use for the spacers, the roof channels are level with each other so that's not an issue. I used some 1" tall x 1.25" wide bar for spacers for my roof basket and it works great.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thats cool JPaul, do you have any pictures you can share?

Zerreitug

UPDATED!!!! Mounting Brackets Re-design

Well after a month of testing my crossbars, i will say that they are performing exceptionally well. I love the strength of the superstrut. I ended up re-designing the mounting brackets for ease of adjustment. Before i had to loosen up a (mostly inaccessible) bolt and the whole crossbar would be susceptible to shifting off. With my new design, the crossbars stay firmly attached to the mounting bracket, but the bracket itself is easily able to be loosened & adjusted to a desired length.

I changed the material used as well because the old ones suffered some deformation due to high heat. This material is a carbon fiber reinforced plastic with a rubber gasket making contact between the mounting bracket and the mounting rails. The finish is also much better with these.

20180805_142913.jpg20180805_142909.jpg

Traxx

There is nothing to prevent a side load shift? Without even a lock washer, If they loosened a tad the whole rail appears to be able to slide right off either side.

Zerreitug

Traxx, Thanks for the perspective. Although I have driven 300 miles with the new brackets, there has been no signs of the nuts loosening up with normal vibrations. I think the rubber pad i have under the brackets are helping with that.
However, that is a valid concern and I will definitely look into a solution for that. Thanks for the input.

There is nothing to prevent a side load shift? Without even a lock washer, If they loosened a tad the whole rail appears to be able to slide right off either side.

Happy Hummer

Nicely executed. I do agree that the side loading could be an issue. A simple fix would be to use a nyloc nut or a castle nut with cotter pin. I like the second try a lot better.

CaseyS

I'll throw this out there.

Www.mcmaster.com

33085T78. this same unistrut in stainless to the nearest ft

3230T26. Aluminum unistrut.

3312T63. Plastic end covers in selectable colors to keep from shredding your forearms on the cut ends

Pick your stainless hardware to match your application.

Last edited:

Zerreitug

Thats a good suggestion Happy. Im liking the castle nut & cotter pin more as it seems like a better way to ensure the nut doesnt vibrate loose. I also like the second version better.

Nicely executed. I do agree that the side loading could be an issue. A simple fix would be to use a nyloc nut or a castle nut with cotter pin. I like the second try a lot better.

Last edited:

Zerreitug

Mr_Rich & DJinCO
Thanks for your interest. I will be continuing to test my design and improve as necessary. Ill get back with you guys about production when I'm satisfied that the brackets are performing well.

Also I assume your interest is in the mounting plates and not the whole assembly with the superstrut and paint job and all that. Thats why I posted my process in here, so others could do the same - if they liked the idea.
But the mounting brackets are custom so that's what i assume you are interested in. If you guys are interested in the whole assembly, let me know because i don't mind putting together a kit for sale, but then ill really need to put mine through its paces so I don't sell something that wont perform. And shipping would be super pricey i'd imagine.

I think you've built up an interest in this design; including me.

Very nice. I am interested in these. When will you start production?

Mr_Rich

I think the mounting brackets are the important part of this design. It looks like they make a solid footprint for any kind of rack that someone would like to use. That's the part I could get interested in if it became available.

Zerreitug

Posting an update to those who are interested in the crossbars mounting plates. After evaluating the options to have these fabricated for me, the cost would be too great for either machining or for production runs of 3D printing by any company (around $30-$50 per plate 3D printing & $100+ for CNC machining). This defeats the purpose of me doing a budget build of a DIY crossbars.
Im currently in the process of rebuilding my 3D printer which can print in nylon & reinforced plastics so when/if I do begin to sell these, I will be doing it from home on the side. Once I finish the rebuilding of my equipment, I will begin comparing & testing different materials for a good balance of strength and heat deflection.