• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Off road parks

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
So I am spending about a week here in NC (Raleigh area) is there any decent off-road places?

Everything that google gives me is kinda far away and seems to be open on weekends only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MilamJR

So I am spending about a week here in NC (Raleigh area) is there any decent off-road places?

Everything that google gives me is kinda far away and seems to be open on weekends only.

Unwarrie National Forest. Was there in December and you can get plenty of hard wheeling there.
0936c1b4e72e0608b28cb6aada3e0a7d.jpg

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Iwillnc

Not as extreme as Uwharrie but the Northern OuterBanks has a lot of off-road coast you can drive on, a couple trails, the most “extreme” I did there was driving through a “puddle” in a residential area (no paved roads to the houses - must have 4x4) where the water came above my tires. Didn’t expect that hole to be that deep where the average vehicle is a 4x4 pickup that could easily have sucked in water.

It’s a fun trip.

Last edited:

08H3

Carova will disappoint you if you are going there for anything technical, but it's still worth the trip for sure. Very few places left wou can drive for miles on the beach.

Iwillnc

Carova will disappoint you if you are going there for anything technical, but it's still worth the trip for sure. Very few places left wou can drive for miles on the beach.

For sure, any beach is purely pleasure, supposably the southern end below nagshead and rodanthe is a little deeper and tricker but by no means technical. I’m as you mentioned more familiar with Carova. Plus always good idea to stop at the Carova fire station and pick up a t shirt.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Thanks
Looks like I am ~100 mil away
Maybe I can get away and run some trails there

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Out of luck, looks like trails won’t open till April 1st

Iwillnc

You need a permit to park on the beach now. Did you get a permit to park your boat there?! :giggle:

It’s pretty dumb; not that you would want to be there in the cold (other than fishing) but you don’t need a permit off season.