• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

First Aid Kit contents

SuperBuickGuy

It's funny, I've never seen anyone lay out what's in a good first aid kit for a car. I know you can buy kits that are "car" related, or spend a lot of money on professional kits. Both have their place, the first being far better than nothing at all but tends to have cheap stuff in it that works okay, sometimes. The other is a lot of money for a perishable (lasts only 2 years) that doesn't necessarily have what you need in it.

First - this is important, my experience is 1st aid towards what's considered combat first aid - meaning if you're gushing blood, I'll probably have the experience and tools to treat you. It won't be comfortable because I'm not an EMT, but you'll have a better chance of survival due to my training. I'm not an EMT, that means I won't be opening you up for surgery, I won't be dispensing the "good" drugs, and my training includes how to tell someone they're gonna die because I don't have surgery training (including tracheotomy). I am certified to lead outdoor expeditions, that means from burns to bites to breaks to major bleeding... I've the experience and training to treat. That is important because it determines the contents of my kit.

Last night, I finally got organized and redid my kit (I got a shiny new box) - so without further ado, here it is

contents are pretty straight forward:
Asprin
Bandaids
tylenol
benadryl
chapstick
bug spray
sunblock
antiseptic
water purification tablets
various protective bandages like gauze, pads, etc
a couple of different types of tape
ace wrap
triangle bandages
SAM splint
Israeli hemorrhage bandage
gloves
bags
light
knife
scissors
heat packs
emergency blanket
paper
pen
marking pen
stopwatch

always write the date you built the kit on the outside, and rebuild your kit every 2 years or if you take anything out of the kit

Last edited:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
You need to seriously add some CAT Tourniquets and some Celox or Hemcon bandages. Everything else is on point. I also build my own kits. The off the shelf stuff are way too generic and mainly snivel gear.

SuperBuickGuy

You need to seriously add some CAT Tourniquets and some Celox or Hemcon bandages. Everything else is on point. I also build my own kits. The off the shelf stuff are way too generic and mainly snivel gear.

there's a huge debate about the effectiveness of tourniquets - as you can see where I land I'll leave it as is, I'll couldn't begin to give the debate even a nutshell hearing - let alone the nuance of it. Of course, the Israeli bandage, and I have plenty of gear that could build a tourniquet if needed .. you'll also notice I don't have a snake bite kit... (or a stethoscope)
I had to google Hemcon bandages - I'll look to add it. thx

use what you're comfortable with even if it is a snivel kit....

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have several med kits. One I carry when camping, fishing, hunting, a truck mounted kit that is pretty comprehensive and one in my shop. All three are different. I am traveling now but can give a contents description this weekend. Like SBG I won't be doing any surgery or be handing out any of the "good" stuff but my kits are well designed for the application.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
there's a huge debate about the effectiveness of tourniquets - as you can see where I land I'll leave it as is, I'll couldn't begin to give the debate even a nutshell hearing - let alone the nuance of it. Of course, the Israeli bandage, and I have plenty of gear that could build a tourniquet if needed .. you'll also notice I don't have a snake bite kit... (or a stethoscope)
I had to google Hemcon bandages - I'll look to add it. thx

use what you're comfortable with even if it is a snivel kit....

There's been ample data supporting its use after many years of saving lives in the field, but I'm not here to preach. :) Hemcon and Celox are both coagulants. Hemcon is much better and natural than Celox which is chemical and causes a thermal reaction. The problem with Hemcon is you can't use it on people that are allergic to shellfish because it's made of crab shell. Both can be found impregnated in gauze which is excellent for packing in torso wounds.

SuperBuickGuy

FIRST AID CONTENTS
- Stopwatch
- Knife
- Light
- Dressing scissors
- Hemorrhage control bandage (2)
- Self-adhering gauze (2 rolls)
- Plastic bags, gallon
- Medium gauze pads (6)
- Clothe tape
- Exam gloves
- Face shield
- Lip balm
- Insecticide
- Sun screen
- Water pills
- Aspirin
- Tylenol
- Benadryl
- Neosporin
- Antiseptic toilette
- Burn gel
- Benzoin tincture
- Triangle bandage
- Bandaids
- Butterfly bandage
- Thermometer and sleeves
- Triangle bandage, large (2)
- SAM splint
- Emergency blanket
- Ace bandage
- Small Leatherman’s tool
- Moleskin
- Large compress pads
- Hot pads
- Rescue form
- Pen
- Felt tip pen

VITALS TIME taken
Breathing
__________BPM ________:__________
Pulse
__________BPM _________:___________
Cap refill?________________
Temperature?_______________
Pupils?
Take every 15 minutes
INJURIES

Time found? ____/________/_______
Who are you?
Where do you hurt? How did it happen?
What day is it? Time?
When did you get hurt?
Are you married?
Who are you with?
Are you allergic to anything?
RECORD GPS LOCATION OF SUBJECT

CALL 911 GET HELP COMING

Now that help is on its way, record vitals here every 15 minutes for the next link of rescue chain

Your name, phone number

Assisted by

Witnesses

VITALS (and on back)
MAKE PLAN UNTIL ETA OF RESCUE, Is the patient safe? Protected?

SuperBuickGuy

I carry those on 2 3x5, plastic covered cards in my first aid kit..... as I said before, make this your own - and that really means that if you get hurt and I'm there to help, my first question to you will be "do you have a 1st aid kit" - if you answer yes and it's available, I'll be treating you out of YOUR kit. Which, if you need an epi-pen, insulin, or heart medication.... it should be in that kit. If you're unconscious, I will look in your pack for a kit ....