• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Squeaky Leaves

Lauren

Hey everyone,

So my leaf suspension just loves to squeak.. however I don't love it so much.. :)

I know it's just sand etc that makes it squeak because once I've power sprayed in between all the plates and launched a can of WD40 at them, they're as quiet as a mouse.. but this lasts for like 2 days and the squeaking begins again

Don't get me wrong, I love washing my car and spending all my money on WD40 but can anyone suggest a longer term fix?
Does anyone else have squeaky leaves or is it just me? :giggle:

SolidusJ

Hey everyone,

So my leaf suspension just loves to squeak.. however I don't love it so much.. :)

I know it's just sand etc that makes it squeak because once I've power sprayed in between all the plates and launched a can of WD40 at them, they're as quiet as a mouse.. but this lasts for like 2 days and the squeaking begins again

Don't get me wrong, I love washing my car and spending all my money on WD40 but can anyone suggest a longer term fix?
Does anyone else have squeaky leaves or is it just me? :giggle:

Do you have any means of removing the springs and unpacking them to clean? That and maybe check all the bushing to see if there serviceable, wouldn't hurt to maybe grease them.

JPaul

WD-40 doesn't last. I don't even buy the stuff anymore, I use PB-Blaster instead for rusted parts since it works better. Use an actual lubricating oil or silicone lube for longer effect. Lanolin works really well and is also great at protecting from rust (though in the UAE you probably don't have that as much of an issue). Not sure what options you have there for lanolin based sprays but in Australia they use Lanotec, and here in the states I've only been able to find Fluid Film (without having to order online). Fluid Film is a bit thick going on, but seems to work pretty well.

I first learned about the lanolin based sprays while watching John Rooth's Youtube videos. He'll spray down the undercarriage (after cleaning it) with the stuff to help protect against rust and make it easier to clean up next time. It also has the benefit of getting rid of random squeaks and groans.

lowtrac

A few of the plastic puck slider things have broken and shifted around in mine. If I pry the leaf apart and slide the plastic back in place it’ll be quiet. I bought a new set but haven’t put them in yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amrg

My leaf springs used to squeak like hell until I powerwashed them a couple of times and they stopped. I used grease/silicome lubricant before and tbh they endup attracting more dirt and squeak again

Happy Hummer

I use an air compressor (21 gal) with an air paint sprayer from hf to spray on mineral oil or soy oil to the leaf springs. Only the leaves as the rodents will eat plastic or wires if they get the taste for oil.
Everything else gets a different type of synthetic oil sprayed.
Leaves are wisper quiet for weeks after spray down.

Lauren

Do you have any means of removing the springs and unpacking them to clean? That and maybe check all the bushing to see if there serviceable, wouldn't hurt to maybe grease them.

no I don't.. :( But I'm sure I can find somewhere that does..

You know, now that you mention the bushings, the last time I got my oil changed I was walking around underneath my car and I think I saw one that was starting to crack... !! That will add to the squeak, right?

Lauren

WD-40 doesn't last. I don't even buy the stuff anymore, I use PB-Blaster instead for rusted parts since it works better. Use an actual lubricating oil or silicone lube for longer effect. Lanolin works really well and is also great at protecting from rust (though in the UAE you probably don't have that as much of an issue). Not sure what options you have there for lanolin based sprays but in Australia they use Lanotec, and here in the states I've only been able to find Fluid Film (without having to order online). Fluid Film is a bit thick going on, but seems to work pretty well.

I first learned about the lanolin based sprays while watching John Rooth's Youtube videos. He'll spray down the undercarriage (after cleaning it) with the stuff to help protect against rust and make it easier to clean up next time. It also has the benefit of getting rid of random squeaks and groans.

Yeah rust isn't much of an issue over here as we just have torrential rain for like 2 weeks out of the year and that's it!
But that's good to know, I'll see what I can find for lanolin based sprays!

Lauren

A few of the plastic puck slider things have broken and shifted around in mine. If I pry the leaf apart and slide the plastic back in place it’ll be quiet. I bought a new set but haven’t put them in yet.

Oh! These go in between the leaves? :O
Are they super small? I haven't notice them on mine!

Lauren

My leaf springs used to squeak like hell until I powerwashed them a couple of times and they stopped. I used grease/silicome lubricant before and tbh they endup attracting more dirt and squeak again

Yeah I know right! The sand just kind of sticks to it.

Yours have completely stopped squeaking?
As I said, I power wash mine but literally 2 or 3 days later they're squeaking again.. if I wash them and then empty a can of WD40 on each side then they stay quiet for around a week..

Saw a video of a dude in Saudi that cut a tyre into pieces and slid it in between the plates.. 1) he did an awful job and it looked like a disaster. 2) it made it louder.. 3) my friend told me that he later went into the desert and now his leaves are no more.. :roll:

lowtrac

Oh! These go in between the leaves? :O
Are they super small? I haven't notice them on mine!

Maybe 2.5”-3” diameter. There are holes in the leaves that these sit in. The piece that sticks through the hole can break off and the pad can slip out from between them.

Their real name is Leaf Spring Insert.

70f9c7aa72d8be1429fa9cb2f193d624.jpg

Lauren

Maybe 2.5”-3” diameter. There are holes in the leaves that these sit in. The piece that sticks through the hole can break off and the pad can slip out from between them.

Their real name is Leaf Spring Insert.

70f9c7aa72d8be1429fa9cb2f193d624.jpg

I see! That's so useful, thank you so much lowtrac!!

As soon as I finish work I'll go have a look :D

DJB

Many miles ago we would lift the back of the truck so that the axle was hanging, then drive a wedge (big screwdriver) between the leaves and push some lawn chair webbing in there. Lasted a couple of years. Don't see to many of those old style fold-up chairs any more. God, I'm old...