• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

From NW Oregon

BobV

Just bought a 2006 lux, really like it.
We needed something that can be flat towed and decent off road. This fit the bill and much cheaper than a Jeep unlimited.
I should have done more research because now I want the adventure pkg too.
Not sure if it is worth modifying this one or just sell and buy another.
I think I would rather stay with the I5 and the lower gears.
From what I read the aluminum front axle center section is a weak point, so might just keep looking.
I did find a 08 Alpha with the off road pkg that would work. But its twice what I paid for the 06

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Welcome to H4O!

Note that the front locker, and cast iron front diff, didn't appear until 08 or 09. I can't recall which year. Earlier Adventure packages only had a rear locker. To put in the two key upgrades - transfer case and rear locker - will set you back about $1900 for a new transfer case (part only) and a rear locker will be $600-$1200 depending on the parts you need (labor only). Not a cheap upgrade especially if you're paying someone for the labor but could be worth it if you got a good enough of a deal. Add another $1200 for a front locker and cast iron diff assembly.

I did my upgrades over the period of several years.

If you're not really doing hard off road I wouldn't worry too much about the aluminum front diff.

adventuredad

I am over there often, do you work at one of the mills?
I work at Wauna
Not specifically at a mill, Advanced Electrical Technologies. We are an electrical and automation contractor that works at several mills and water treatment plants, among other things. I'm the head draftsman so I spend my days sitting in the office.