• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Cliff hanger moab

atvspeed4

Has anyone made it through cliffhanger in a Hummer? We are out in Moab for two weeks and just did half the trail and back due to running out of daylight. On the last obstacle before the road on the way out I snapped a rear axleshaft...fml

atvspeed4

Need to go full float soon...
fbe56476f467b2caa88e85da7d956f9a.jpg
61c3a84a5a57f13a5b7a8ca869105dd6.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Yep, hummers including H3s have done it before.

Been there done that on sledgehammer at the hammer trails. Went to a full float 1 ton rear end and haven’t looked back

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
This year? No but I’ve done it at other KOH’s and luckily for me I live 2 1/2 hours from hammers so I go out there on off weekends frequently. I’ve run

Clawhammer
Sledgehammer
Jackhammer
Sunbonnet
Resolution
Chocolate thunder
Turkeyclaw
Upper big Johnson
Lower big Johnson
Boulderdash
Wrecking ball
We started outer limits until a buddy’s front knuckle broke off the housing when the trunion bearing failed on his yota axle so we will back back for that one and continue to do more.

Sorry for the hijack OP! I know getting c clip axles out suck especially on the trail when you broke it! I spent hours tearing apart the rear end on sledgehammer till 5am.

Did you drive it back to camp and pull it or do it on the trail? Did you have a spare?

atvspeed4

Yep, hummers including H3s have done it before.

Been there done that on sledgehammer at the hammer trails. Went to a full float 1 ton rear end and haven’t looked back
How??? I'm on 37s locked front and rear and was high centered sliding down several of the obstacles? The trail must be much more dug out than before

Acer4LO

Quick newb questions guys. How common is it to snap an h3 rear axleshaft on 35s? Should I buy a spare?

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Quick newb questions guys. How common is it to snap an h3 rear axleshaft on 35s? Should I buy a spare?

Honestly it’s pretty uncommon, especially for 35s. I broke one on 37s, ATV broke one on 37s.

When both ATV and I broke them we weren’t running stock front ends. If your running a stock front end you will probably break that before anything in the rear end.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I've only seen one break with 35s and that took an extraordinary level of stubborn aggression and ignoring his spotter.

atvspeed4

Honestly it’s pretty uncommon, especially for 35s. I broke one on 37s, ATV broke one on 37s.

When both ATV and I broke them we weren’t running stock front ends. If your running a stock front end you will probably break that before anything in the rear end.
Exactly, I was moving so slow locked front and rear climbing large ledges but needed to bump it up the next one when it let go. It was so calm that I thought I bumped the spring hanger. I would have exploded a stock front diff way before the rear axle shaft let go on this obstacle. 37s seems to be the tipping point for a stock 10 bolt but the new front high pinion Dana 44 IFS seems to not care about 37s

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Exactly, I was moving so slow locked front and rear climbing large ledges but needed to bump it up the next one when it let go. It was so calm that I thought I bumped the spring hanger. I would have exploded a stock front diff way before the rear axle shaft let go on this obstacle. 37s seems to be the tipping point for a stock 10 bolt but the new front high pinion Dana 44 IFS seems to not care about 37s

I couldn’t agree more! My ford High pinion 44 that was retubed to pass drop was a great axle. I ran it on 40s and never had an issue. I did have my ox locker lose a bolt, flung up and chipped the gears, even then I ran it till I pulled it with no issues.

The ford HP44 is the best 44 around IMO. It’s the only 44 R&P I’ve seen hold up to the abuse of 40s consistently on other rigs too. I know a guy that had one on 38s (I know not 40s but but was a throttle happy guy. Which more then made up for it.) He would back up and go foot to the floor up backdoor at hammers with no issues spinning the front end like crazy. It was straight up abuse.

The only reason I pulled my HP44 was because it was a concern for Ultimate adventure. When I got the call they asked about 40s on a heavy rig and that 44. Even though I told them it was proven and has lasted years I could still sense the concern and that’s when I told them I had a 70 rear and a pile of 60 outers in the garage. They said your in! Get building on that axle. So I did...that axle will live again under another rig I build in the future. Eventually I would like to get a 3T and keep this one IFS so your 44 and possibly a 60 rear. More mild build for camping and exploring then the SAS and crazy rock crawling I like to do. I figure the truck bed will be needed with a family one day.

Anyways sorry for the long tirade and rabbit hole I went down. Bottom line is the AAM 7 protected the 10 bolt from breaking. Now that there’s a HP44 the 10 bolt is more vulnerable. Wish I could get to Moab. I would love to wheel with you!

atvspeed4

i did a rear axle like that in 06 on golden spike... been to the top of cliffhanger in the 3 and the h1 a couple of times.
Did it involve dragging the 3 with a winch or strap over some of the trail? The obstacle after the stream that is a large step was so dug out that our friend on 42s tapped his rock sliders going up the left side. Only way I could do it was head up the far right straight up the almost verticle rock face

Neo

Badfish
we stacked a $hit load of rocks and it was 8 years ago that i took the 3 up there the trail changes a lot. last time we went about 2 and a half years ago we left an H1 at the tight spot on the cliff just in case we had trouble getting back up. we always climbed those rocks on the right side going up out of the creek.