• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

06 H3's Squeakin H3 Build

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Leaving for hammers in T-minus 4 hours. 6.2 rips!!!!

According to some 0-60 times website a
3.5 0-60 is 10.1
Alphas are 8.8

I was in the 9 second range. So when I say it rips I mean it rips for a 4x4 on 40in tires that weighs over 6k lbs. for it to be faster then my stock 3.5 when I have 40s vs the stock 32s and my front axle alone weighs about 5 times the stock front diff makes it rip in my book.

Runs good, gotta swap my H3 alpha oil pan over or it will hit the caddy one at full bump. Going to do that down south because my buddy has my oil pick up tube.

I’m tired.

owlxxx

You must be volunteering again. I'll be there Friday for sure, I'm hoping I can get there Thursday for the backdoor shenanigans!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
The hummer preran the first desert lap for my buddy’s stock mod car. It was about 100 miles on desert. Whoops, wide open spots, hills, some rocks but no real rock crawling. It was a workout! Then was a recovery vehicle for backdoor on the big race.

I got to my parents house last night around midnight. I’ve put about 850 miles on it so far and have 350 to go. I need a vacation from my vacation

RamRod

The hummer preran the first desert lap for my buddy’s stock mod car. It was about 100 miles on desert. Whoops, wide open spots, hills, some rocks but no real rock crawling. It was a workout! Then was a recovery vehicle for backdoor on the big race.

I got to my parents house last night around midnight. I’ve put about 850 miles on it so far and have 350 to go. I need a vacation from my vacation
Did you see that I tagged you in a video that a guy I know posted on Instagram.. what a small world!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

scoreh3

How long did it take you to get home yesterday? I saw the grapevine was closed most of the day and night. Nothing like a long weekend ending in a closure and detour.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Did you see that I tagged you in a video that a guy I know posted on Instagram.. what a small world!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I did, thanks!

I seen ya hanging out at backdoor.
No other Hummers out there but a lone white h2.

Yep there are less and less every year! :roll:

How long did it take you to get home yesterday? I saw the grapevine was closed most of the day and night. Nothing like a long weekend ending in a closure and detour.

I made it over the grapevine right before the snow started so it didn't take too long and I am glad because of it!

EDIT: This is copy and pasted over from pirate and I know you guys had details they didn't but here's the full recap.
Time for an update! It took a while to get another one because time was limited. I was home for 6 days in January due to craziness with work and travel and had to figure out my motor issue.
So even though I had just pulled my motor to do motor mount reinforcement I was hear doing this again :mad3:

pM76bw3l.jpg

First I pulled the pan and the rod bearings were fine. It was somewhere else even though it sounded like rod knock. Every one talks so highly of these LS motors but my 5.3 that I plucked out of a vehicle with 34k miles on it broke after I put another 20-22k on it! WHAT THE ****! I say Ecoboost for the win :flipoff2:

Anyways knowing I didn't have time to rebuild the motor, mess with machine shops or have the know how I just drove to so cal and back in a day and dropped it off at my buddy's. I was gone for 9 days and got a text with this picture.

FE3U9SFl.jpg

Chipped piston!!!

I needed to have it rebuilt, or get another motor. Since I did it "right" the first time with a low mileage 5.3 that was healthy, had no CEL's and stock I decided to go based on price and size of motor. I wanted price because how many damn times have I heard, "my buddy bought a 6.0 with 180k, threw 18 lbs of boost at it and beat on it for 5 years with no issues." Give me the sludgiest POS you can find then, maybe that will work better!! It did help that I got stuck in an airport for over 13 hours and received a $650 amex gift card from Delta because of it. So I ordered the cheapest 6.2 on ebay with 145k miles on it.

lgInAX1l.jpg

I needed some parts off my old motor so another day trip from norcal to so cal and back. then used my original 5.3 harness (wire lengths are already correct and fit nice) and swapped plucked 2 long wires from the 6.2 harness for VVT.

RtfloDMl.jpg

I wanted VVT so I can get good low end torque. I then finished the swap with less then 16 hours to spare, and gingerly drove to the tuner since it ran like crap with a 5.3 tune.

VUlsKv0l.jpg

Got it tuned, went home, packed the hummer and left for my parents house for so cal the next morning...but not before I added my important sticker..

LS fragile POS :flipoff2:

81PAHpll.jpg

Drove 350 miles after literally putting 12 miles on the thing, no real issues and I must say the added low end grunt was welcomed with the 6.2! I like to drive fast on the highway, at 80+ mph the 5.3 would only be in OD, with the TC locked on flat ground. Now it didn't seem to care...80+ it had the TC locked in OD up until the grapevine (steep grade)

Made it to my parents house!

ZLCgCgKl.jpg

Saturday I took off to Simi Valley to my buddy's house because I forgot the oil pan when I picked up the rest of the stuff. on road the existing pan was fine but off road at full compression it would hit so we swapped an oil pan in the pouring rain.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I forgot to mention while I had the motor out I added a suck down winch and ran a pulley off the axle.

pYdKIn8l.jpg

Saturday night we were off to KOH!

We made it, got settled in....then sunday we were off to tech with my buddy who was racing.

fzf0OGml.jpg

While he had passed everything from a structural standpoint we had a little list of stupid crap like locking dipsticks, secondary door latches, etc. so we rushed back to camp and checked
off each item.

Monday morning we headed back to tech and he got his car tagged and ready to race!!

Then we all took off and we ran 100 dirt miles with about 70 of it being the race course. We had the hummer and a few other rigs and we had someone taking course notes every 1/4 mile or so. Since were rock crawlers and know the hammer trails he felt our time was best spent in the desert. The hummer did awesome! The added uptravel, accutune tuned shocks, air bumps and all kicked ass. The rear was now the limiting factor, where as the front was before. So I will do the rear soon. Only complaint was I switched from full doors to half doors and froze my ass off.

Day 2 of prerunning we got to main pit and knocked off the first 92 miles of the race course and took more notes while the driver and co driver were off at contingency. I broke a CV driveline, the damn pin failed. Thanks to 4speedfunk for the help and chat from the lakebed!

pqoDO9Rl.jpg

I may have over drooped it now with the t case clocked but anyways we found parts and got it fixed in Yucca Valley. We cruised over in my buddy's Comanche.

Ce6cnl3l.jpg

Of course my spare I carried for YEARS was too short as I made changes over the years and I didn't lengthen or shorten it :mad3::mad3: so shout out to all state driveline in Yucca Valley!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
We made it back in time for the racer's meeting.

sP9CZial.jpg

Time for bed and an early start to the morning....

So my buddy took off at 8:22AM and for being in a 4.0L TJ with a full dash and body in the 4500 class he was hauling the mail! He made it to main pit (92 miles) where I was at with no real issues by 11:45.

7HoTwDfl.jpg

We then took off to pit 2A/B. Since he made it through the desert we were stoked because we have run all the rock trails multiple times and know them well! As we were driving to Pit 2A/B we saw 2 guys walking and sure enough it was them, they made it to mile 109 or so on boulderdash when his drag link sheered in half. They walked to the pit found a guy to weld
it and went off again. What sucks is that he has had that drag link for years and never had an issue.

Here's a picture of his jeep on the shirt...had to add a pic because I am typing too much. :D

W2O0GLhl.jpg

They went a little ways and the drag link sheered past the weld and lost all strength at that point. They were out, we found them off the course and drove them to ruffstuff to get a draglink made so they can get the jeep off the course since they were in the way.

Thursday we re-cooped and had some fun....

ftsvK1tl.jpg

and Friday it was back to work. I was an anchor for the top of backdoor.

018X2Bbl.jpg

It was fun but tiring, I will be honest, it was scary watching the hummer getting winched off of at times, most of the time it was fine but when I had multiple vehicles winching off of me at the same time I was worried...but no bumpers ripped off or frame cracks so that's a plus :D

VSsoFeNl.jpg

Afterwords, I helped two broken U4 cars up the sandhill and then got to camp very tired. It was cool to winch all the big names up backdoor though, Campbell, Wayes, Gomez, Gittin Jr., rolled Herschel back over...all racers were cool but one towards the end of the day, my gut feeling was a total rich snob who's probably never wheeled as he yelled at us and his co driver for not rolling him over quick enough and asked for "spectator assistance" to speed up the process :confused:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
On Thursday we also ran turkey claw and off your rocker or blueberry, not sure which one. Saturday we wheeled wrecking ball. That was a **** show, I broke my driveshaft again! Different part and I have a feeling all of it was wasted but they only repaired the one piece.

Then my buddy broke an axle shaft, another buddy a drag link, my brother ripped a ball joint off his SD60 but we all got off the trail, packed up and drove 130 miles back to my parents house.

Rb5IFW6l.jpg

This was well after midnight, my fiancé and I (center) were on the lake bed for 8 days and I needed a shower bad!!! Next year RV rental will probably happen. I love camping and have always done it for KOH but I usually was out for 3-4 days not 8! I got one shower during the trip and needed many more! My brother wasn't as bad since he was out for 3 or 4.
The following morning we drove 350 miles back to Sacramento. Squeaky drove to KOH, preran a ton of miles, winched cars up backdoor, ran rock trails, pulled out stuck motorhomes, and drove back home. I couldn't ask it to do anything else. the 6.2 is a badass motor but I am still and probably will continue to be butthurt about LS's and everyone who loves them for a while. :flipoff2:

It was definitely a long fun trip but was the most work and intense trip I had, it was go go go with less wheeling then usual but I guess that's what racing is all about.

JPaul

Looks like tons of fun. Did you go with a CI 6.2? Btw, everyone knows that if your 5.3 doesn't last at least 250k you obviously must have not taken care of it or got suckered. [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Looks like tons of fun. Did you go with a CI 6.2? Btw, everyone knows that if your 5.3 doesn't last at least 250k you obviously must have not taken care of it or got suckered. [emoji849]

Does the 6.2 come in cast iron? I thought they were all aluminium block. The 6.0 is cast iron.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
All 6.2s are aluminum to my knowledge and this one is.

I don’t think I got suckered or not take care of the motor. Even if it wasn’t taken care of at 34k miles (which it wasn’t) how much damage can you do. I got crap for not beating on it more. Guys literally abuse these motors to no end with triple the mileage.

Psychotic, yes! A little too psychotic. I’m ready for some laid back wheeling

JPaul

All 6.2s are aluminum to my knowledge and this one is.

I don’t think I got suckered or not take care of the motor. Even if it wasn’t taken care of at 34k miles (which it wasn’t) how much damage can you do. I got crap for not beating on it more. Guys literally abuse these motors to no end with triple the mileage.

Psychotic, yes! A little too psychotic. I’m ready for some laid back wheeling
I did not know the 6.2's were all aluminum, guess that will be my next major project for my Alpha once we are in our new place possibly later this year and I have room.

I don't think you got suckered or neglected either, that's just the response I got when my motor died as well, even after it already had 150k on it. Some people just can't accept the fact that just because word of mouth says those engines never die unless you were an idiot doesn't mean it is actually true.

Mr_Rich

Did anyone suggest that you might've had a pre-ignition or knocking problem on your 5.3 engine? It seems like the white area on the edge of the piston might suggest that. The fuel mapping is so complicated on comp-controlled engines I'm wondering if somewhere along the rev range you were too lean and that led to engine damage. Considering the way you use your truck you probably need an engine custom built for your particular use rather than a stock engine.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Is it the white spot your talking about? That’s a piece of the piston but someone did mention that.

What I don’t understand though is how that would happen with a stock tune?

Mr_Rich

Is it the white spot your talking about? That’s a piece of the piston but someone did mention that.

What I don’t understand though is how that would happen with a stock tune?
I think the stock tune is fine for the average driver but I think you've proven that you need a tune way beyond average because it looks like you're pushing your engine and chassis of your truck way beyond what most of us do. What I'm saying is that a stock tune is fine for "grocery getters" but you're on the other end of that spectrum. I bought a video, "Calibrated Success" and realized programming ECM's is an art. They have a FB presence and they advertise classes in Texas to attend for training. Not that you're going to do that yourself but perhaps understand who you can go to verify the fuel mapping at the rev range that you're operating at and that you don't run momentarily lean when you step on the throttle.