• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Natural gas

deserth3

I was thinking about getting a natural gas fireplace. Though i have had heat I don't really know much about the infrastructure that gets the gas to the house. How long will the had pressure hold out of things went very bad?

Highatop

I think first is, Do you have a gas to your place. It does take a lot of work just to get it there from the street. All underground, alotta digging. Then someone to run the lines in your place and hook it up. $$$ If your worried about things goin bad. A wood burnin stove, I feel is an great option. All you need then is wood and matches. Even when the powers out.Just a thought.
I can say, when they first brought Ngas up here in the mtns. They had a leak in the middle of a cold snap. There was not enough pressure for the homes. Alot of homes waterlines froze. It was a mess and a lot of ticked off people...

deserth3

Aurocorrect at it again. I have gas heat.
I'm just starting looking at this. I have a small house in a Residencial area.

I don't know much on gas fireplaces, but if it works the same way as gas lines being ran for outside gas grills and/or pool gas heaters, which it should be, all you have to worry about is the size of the line that you need run (diameter) which is different depending on the amount of the unit your going to run gas asks for (read the instructions specs sheets on the gas fireplace you want, and it should tell you) I'm pretty sure you can always go bigger on the pipe and then reduce to the size necessary(but the bigger the pipe, the more expensive of course). My second suggestion is if you do run a line for the gas fireplace, you might as well run the line for the outside gas grill! That way you don't have to keep refilling propane tanks if that's the kind of outside grill you have. Hope this helps

Highatop

Again, I'm in the mtns. I have a propane, electric and a wood burnin stove for heat. I have many options and use them all at different times. In your research, check into a wood burner also. The cost for a gas fireplace completely done, would be close to the same as a wood burner. A lot more work to keep it goin but, you will always have heat. If things went bad...If the power ever goes out for any reason, the gas won't work. It all works w/ your electric.
Hope some of this helps. Good luck

Woodtick

You can get a NG fire place that will still work with out power. It's called a power pilot system. The power to open and close the valve comes from the pilot. That flame creates millivolts. Look into one that turns into a convection heater when the blower fails or there is loss of power. Wood burners are great and pellet stoves are another option.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
That depends completely on where its pulling from. As long as there is pressure on the main pipe you're good.

My parents place has their own nat gas well, so it's theoretically not going to stop for a very long time.

Honestly is SHTF and there is no one operating the gas pipelines, they'll run until they have no more gas, could be long or short. Some pipelines have constant pressure, others don't, but there still has to be someone on the end who is opening/closing that valve and suppling the gas. ( Note: i am mainly speaking of main big pipelines that supply power plants not homes)

Woodtick

The pressure at a house is around 5" to 7". ( that's inch pounds ) I have a customer in Gary Ind that has 80 psi service. The most I've seen was a lab in Des plaines Il , at a 120 psi.