• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Spring big bend trip - March 14-15

High Five H2

Alright, we've been doing some talking about a big bend trip in March before it gets unbearably hot. It looks like a weekend that coincides with some of our spring breaks is going to be best. I suggested March 14-15. Anyone else? Also, big bend is really close to New Mexico and may be not too far from Arizona, for those members.

Who's been down there on good trails who can act as guide? I've been to the park but didn't do any off roading. I know a few people here that may be interested in going too. My dad has a stock 4runner, the year with the 3.4L. It's got lockers and it's probably pretty capable. I know another guy with an Xterra with a spacer lift. My brother is building a monster 70's ford and if there is some kind of divine intervention, or west texas based "pimp my ride" type show that does off road builds, he'll finish it in the next 10 years... so that's doubtful. I'll bug him though.

So how about it?!?

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Made this a sticky thread so it stays on top of the pile.
Will un-stick when trip is over and trail reports posted.

High Five H2

So it looks like all my classes are going to be online, so my schedule is way more open than I thought. As long as the trip is before things get too hot, I can go just about any time in March.

bendyprissy

I put in my time off request for March 9-15. Don't know if it will be approved or not but hubby & I are in if they do. He's hoping to have his blazer ready by then.

rsc

I forget to look at anything other than the H3 page for a week or two and look what happens. :D I'm not sure if I will have my transmission fixed by then or I'll have to take the wife's truck again but I'll see if she is able to get away. Are we looking at going to the National Park or the State Park? There's a big difference in trails and I would rather stay at BBSP if we are wheeling there as it's about a 1.5 hour drive between the two points and another 3 hours from the front (and the only) gate of BBSP around to the Ranger Station.

prc

Fly in the ointment
Needing a full day to get there and a full day to return (Houston), I had one good day in the park. All roads were listed as open, but I went out Glenn Springs to get to Black Gap, but Black Gap was blocked off :( Glenn Springs was a bit of fun, as was Grape Vine and Old Maverick (great for getting some speed on!). Drove down to the hot springs for a bit too. Since I was a solo occupant of a solo vehicle, I wasn't going to try the full River Road (would have taken all day anyway). Nothing technical, nothing too challenging, but beautiful views everywhere you turned.

Any first timers to the park should drive down Ross Maxwell (paved). The vistas are spectacular!

Personal observation: The Lodge employees (light blue shirts) are great. The Ranger volunteers (gray shirts) are great. The Rangers them selves (green shirts) are a little quieter but great. The Border Patrol (green but playing soldier) who are EVERYWHERE... are a$$ cracks for the most part. YMMV.

rsc

Its 12-13 hours of straight driving for me to get there and we always want to stop and visit family on the way so we make a week of it. I would say that if you haven't been, the BBNP is a good starting point. I really enjoyed getting back into the areas of the park you can normally only see from far away that most never see and just walking down into a canyon. However, I think that for actually wheeling and not just driving a trail and having a picnic, you will want to plan for at least 2 days at the SP. Going from BBNP to BBSP to wheel kills a whole day just to hit the first trail inside the gate and go back. There are other roads outside the park, most are private and a few are public but I don't want to pay the ridiculous prices they are asking to get guided around (and then feed the guy lunch from your own pocket and add a tip on top of it all as is the suggested way, I'm too stingey for that.)

At the moment, my wife keeps reminding me of being responsible and spending money on other things than a 4wd vacation again so I'll have to see how things are as we get farther along through February before making a final decision.

bendyprissy

I have a change of plans to my dates. I will be going to the BBRSP area during the week of May 10-17. There is a star party going on that week at Prude Ranch, which is 1 mile away from the Davis Mountains State Park. That is 2.5 hours away from BBRSP. I will be at the star party the whole week so if anyone wants to go to the BBRSP during that time then I would love to join them. If anyone wants to go to the star party, the more the merrier!

High Five H2

that works out, i think... right? I think it was going to be there 14-16 or something like that.

more info on the star party? that sounds cool. that whole region is supposed to have the least amount of light pollution in the US or something like that. i suppose you know that, being as how you're going to a star party, though.

bendyprissy

I am talking May, not March. Here's a link to the Star Party:https://texasstarparty.org/. I am a noob but have always been fascinated with astronomy. I am looking forward to going to this star party to learn a thing or two & meet some like-minded people. I figure why not take advantage of the breath-taking scenery to get some off-roading in while I'm at it and take tons of pics. Not sure yet if I will camp at the ranch or state park but will figure out soon as the spots will probably fill up quick at the state park, if not already full. I can start a new thread if y'all think I should? I figure it's a good enough time away that more people could plan.

And yes, they do have the darkest skies in all of North America! Pretty cool, huh.

High Five H2

ok, it looks like march may suck for me too. my wife is due in february and a month after my son is born may be too early. we have other family stuff going on in March, also. May might be better for me too. Who else is planning on going so far?

High Five H2

How is the weekend of May 13-15? We should probably put a list together of who is going. Me for sure. Bendy? Hummer louis? how about it?

High Five H2

anyone? bueller?

there's a local group called west texas crawlers that does a trip every 3rd weekend and I may just join them. I'm sure they wouldn't mind some more people.

rsc

I'm not going to be able to make it, I think. I've got other stuff going on locally at the moment.