• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

My new trail rig

frumaker

1984 jeep cherokee.
Full Exo cage with stinger
2.8 Chevy engine
Stock axles with welded gears
33x12.50/15 tires

It's a little bit of a fixer upper but it's gonna be fun. More to come soon.
d1e33bdf5455215290d78e9293668ac9.jpg

FRU

zackcrum

Yea the excursion is nice for sure. And the jeep looks fun. Around me guys wheel those things until the body is beat to **** then switch the parts to a new body. Must be nice to find something so disposable

frumaker

i want to change the suspension to be able to run 35's at least and to be able to get more flex, etc. something like a 4 link, 3 link, long arm, any help and incite people can give me would be great. just want to be able to get this thing totally reliable and be able to beat the **** out of it

High Five H2

I really like XJs but I can't think of a good excuse to get another one. Rock krawler makes really good suspension for them. They make front 3 and 4 links and a coil spring conversion for the rear. I was *this* close to getting one for my wife and putting a 5.3 in it and rock krawler lift, but I didn't.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I wheel with a ton of XJs you can make your own long arm easy. Start cutting the fenders so make more room. Rubicon express front coils on those seem to be a favorite with the guys I wheel with

frumaker

I'm going to eliminate the front fenders completely and then once I have the suspension and tires I want, I'll build my own. Did some work on it today. Found out that I'm missing a shock completely in the rear and the shock mounts are toast. So I'll have to get shocks and shock mounts. Then I just need to change the rear diff fluid and it'll be ready to play. Big thanks to Solidusj for helping me out. I'm still learning. And Chris, and advise u can give on building a long a would be greatly appreciated.

FRU

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Im here to give advice. Whats nice about the XJ is that you can build your own suspension with "builder brackets" that are designed for the XJ that have the XJ unibody rails in thought or you can use universal brackets. My buddy built his long arm and it came out awesome.

I will see if I can get some pics for you. Ruff stuff is your friend. For an off road only rig, Heim joints may be up your alley. Of the 3 major link ends, bushings are the most street friendly and least off road friendly, then Johnny Joints are in the middle between bushings and heims and Heim Joints are what everyone runs for the off road only type rig. My buddy said they are clunky for a DD but if you dont drive it much you might not care.

If you go heims lmk then we can talk about sizes and misalignment spacers etc.

frumaker

I will only drive this on trails and want it built best for the trails. Heim joints sound good and I will definitely take your advice

FRU

frumaker

Well I got the engine running well on this ugly beast just to learn the tranny has issues. So, I decided to go a different route. Instead of trying to fix and beef up an old ****ty tranny, I'll just upgrade the whole powertrain. Going with v8 swap loaded with torque with a tranny and transfer case to match. Then I'll swap axles to handle the v8 and then on to the suspension. It's always something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

frumaker

It has been little by little. I have other projects I've been doing. Built a 25'x30' deck, built a 2'x4' grill. The cancer stuff laid me up for a few months too. But now, I'm trying to get back in the swing of things.

Dave I really want to go wheeling. Haven't been since I was at moab over a year ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

frumaker

Well, it has been a long time. The XJ is gone. Haven't been offloading except on 4 wheelers. Here is my new rig with camping trailer I'm building. Always a work in progress though. I'll be starting another trailer build soon to match my truck. I have a matching long bed that will be turned into a trailer. Trying to find a frame so I don't have to build it and then need an axle.
193c5e78a165622bff9aabf7101ffdd5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk