• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Moab: Prichett Canyon

LagunaH1

I have heard from several of you that Prichett Canyon is *very* difficult, highly technical.

So, I'm of course curious about it and wanting to learn more. I have found a few videos on youtube. I realize that videos, like photos, tame obstacles rather a lot.

Has anyone here run Prichett Canyon?
What are your thoughts on it?
Has anyone here run an H1 through the canyon?

I'm thinking that the H1's longer and wider wheel base might make "rocker knocker" easier?

[video=youtube;waLpC1UjL_c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waLpC1UjL_c[/video]

[video=youtube;Eu_xSkqwmMU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu_xSkqwmMU[/video]

[video=youtube;qo6YbRjaPYI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo6YbRjaPYI[/video]

This video seems to show a squeeze that might be tough for an H1 at 1:08:
[video=youtube;ah77shOPER4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah77shOPER4[/video]

Other than that, some of the ledges and climbs do seem very tall.

Edit:

Here's what NOT to do:
[video=youtube;29NUl2m4WKM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29NUl2m4WKM[/video]

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I will search for the thread of the Hummer guys running pritchett. They were from HXC. I want to get out to moab and check it out. I of course would never run it my first time out in moab or be even capable of running it now but hope to build up to a trail like that one day

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
[video=youtube;2l0sMg8MH4M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l0sMg8MH4M[/video]

[video=youtube;vhV3RCALfY8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhV3RCALfY8[/video]

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I just watched those videos, when you stated it might be tight for an H1 at 1:08 I think the same spot is in the first video.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
exactly! So if I make it out there in april and a few H1's wanna give it a shot I will gladly go passenger and film/take pictures.

Behind the Rocks looks like another challenging trail too.

Ron B

I think there were 6 or 7 trucks and three spots that required some rigging/winching. It made us feel better to see buggies winching themselves up at least two of them. It was a gnarly long day. You will get rock rash and will need to winch. I think we bypassed Rocker knocker (the bypass was harder than John Bull)

I thought some HXC guys might have done/attempted it once, I just posted some pics on HXC. It was the Psychos (hence the name)

Last edited:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
During Jeep safari, at least a half dozen crawlers roll, and a whole bunch get towed out due to blow trans/t/cases/axles.

I think, but could be mistaken, but Alec ran it in his Jeep. But, could be wrong.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
So damage is almost a given. Ron I would be thrilled and feel accomplished just finishing that trail. Seeing your winch spots were in the same spots as the buggies id feel pretty good about myself. Those must of been some capable H1s and good drivers

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Kurt

I think H1's with diesels would have an easier time, most of the rollerovers is due to the driver not exercising proper control and hammering the skinny peddle. On a diesel truck you don't need to do that, you'll have max torque at low rpm so you should be able to ease yourself over many obsticles without trying to "give it hell" like the guy said before that silver jeep rolled over. Lol.

Neo

Badfish
when i ran with the x club about 4 years ago a group went in about a half mile and wussed out , they came back out the front. i was running with a group on poison spider but got the story back at the Gonzo . i know a few guys that run it and have finished it with h1's . it's very doable with a good team and expierience . it's just not a trail to take a bunch of city slickin newbies on because they want braggin rights . the bypasses are worse than alot of stuff most people wheel regularly . RonB is spot on with his expierience and trucks ability . it's not for your average weekend wheeler that thinks their truck can go anywhere because they made it thru a hummer happening once . hope i dont seem too harsh , but it is a trail that people can die on ...

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Neo you arent being harsh. Reality is that this trail isnt for everyone. It is tough enough to destroy high modified rigs and custom built buggies. Seeing Ron said the bypass is tougher then john bull it is flashing red lights in my head! I never ran john bull but I know the struggle they had and saw the gatekeeper of john bull in person and its tough! I want to conquer it one day though, and I know I will in an H3. Its a goal of mine but if anyone that wants to run it needs to prepare accordingly. You must know what your getting into, understand the consquences and properly build your rigs overtime. Non of those guys that have succesfully completed pritchett have built those rigs overnight. For me personally I still need to improve driving skills, modify the H3 some more, run the rest of moab first, run the rubicon, john bull and other tough trails to prepare myself. Any hummer guys that run it before this I would love to go passenger and see this trail before I attempt it one day.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have talked about Pritchett Canyon. I did not run it with the Psychos. Neo has said he would do it once he got his UCP and RPP. He has UCP now so we are only some RPP away from doing it.:)

Ron B

Neo is right on (miss you buddy!). The hummers the Psychos wheel are all stock, most have lockers or 38's, one, maybe two of the trucks that day were old school btm'ing it. Full disclosure -- I did not drive my truck. It was in the shop getting airbags put in and wasn't done in time. I rode mostly with Gil in his truck but jumped back and forth between trucks on the trail and helped with spotting. It is impressive to drive 800 miles, do a trail like that then drive home! The trucks did well, a tone of serious rocker and bumper banging/belly dragging. I think we lost a winch and one halfshaft on that trail. There were some serious spooky spots where you'd be sideways leaning toward a serious drop off. A lot of butt-pucker. Pictures don't reveal how gnarly it is. All that being said I would love to run it in my own truck! All I can say is plan on a super long day and carnage. Bring lots of spare ****, a sat phone and tent!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Ron B;16255 I rode mostly with Gil in his truck but jumped back and forth between trucks on the trail and helped with spotting. It is impressive to drive 800 miles said:
I give that gil guy major props for having the confidence in his rig to drive it there, do an extreme trail like pritchett, and drive home! Thats just badass.

Ron B

We had an 8 or 9 truck convoy from LA. Turns heads, fun! The next day a few changed out idlers and pitmans, but all was well. No mechanical issues.

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
This IS one of those trails you need to be very experienced ALONG WITH having your rig up for the task. This truley is a trail for the hard core rigs with experienced drivers only!!

I have not driven on this trail, but have been on it. I have no intention of ever driving on it either. I do think there are 3 or 4 guys in our BSHS group that have enough experience to run it, I just see this as a trail that can quickly kill your trip if you mess up. There are a couple spots you have to winch!! At that point, I see no reason for me to run it.

Something to keep in mind: The trails we have run to date are all trails one more in each group have run before, know the lines on the obstacles, and know how to spot on those obstacles. Pritchett is a trail that even with knowing the lines, is still a bitch..even with having spotters that know the drivers and know their lines to put them on.

Quite a bit of risk! Don't get me wrong, if someone wants to run it, I'm not one to say not to. If you don't know what you're getting into nor have the ability/ skill to drive it, you have a very good chance of wrecking your rig and others if they have to try and get you out of there.

Zach

Mall Crawler
I would like to run this trail, but only as a passenger! This trail is way above me and my truck from what I have seen of the videos from it

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want to drive Pritchett Canyon. I want to plan for it before the trip to Moab though. The truck will be mechanically perfect before the trip and I will trailer it to Moab.

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
Well after hearing Tim, I better just stick out until I have some different experiance in moab. Id definetaly do it as a passenger and so would my pop. Maybe we can run along with 3hummers?:huh::wink:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Best way to do this trail if you are not actually driving it is to walk and take tons of videos and photos. The actual trail is only 3 miles long, but there is about 15 miles of nasty dirt road to get out of the trail and back to 191.