• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

mapping software

digglesworth

So I'm researching using my google nexus tablet for navigation purposes. Found an awesome mount on amazon and been reading through some posts on expedition portal about using tablets and some different apps out there. Wanted to see what you guys thought and were using.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Expo is definitely the place for that info. I'm a believer of having a true dedicated GPS from Garmin. I then use my iPad/iPhone as an alternative that I can download different types of maps depending on the need (road, trail, topo, etc.). Important thing is that it be a program that functions without Internet/3G. You download the maps at home and then use them even if there is no Internet.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Last edited:

Peep

Just looked at the app Memory map. Says it's for New Zeeland. Does it have more maps and does it do Belize?

Big2dabank

I believe memory map has world wide support. I have the pro version and use it on the PC, iPhone, and Ipad. I can source maps from anywhere and bring them into memory map. Very versatile but a little pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

digglesworth

I've been reading a lot on expo. I do have a Garmin but want a secondary map source with more detailed maps. I have a basic Garmin nuvi so I'm not sure exactly what I can and can't do with it.

benlaud87

Everytime I ever leave the pavement I somehow magically have no cell reception. That's why I bought a garmin handheld unit, the oregon 550t. Also comes in handy for work when I have to write reports since it has a camera and tells me the coordinates the pictures were taken at.

SuperBuickGuy

I've been reading a lot on expo. I do have a Garmin but want a secondary map source with more detailed maps. I have a basic Garmin nuvi so I'm not sure exactly what I can and can't do with it.

Your choices:
1) GM Navigation - which is pretty much useless off-road (though, occasionally even a blind squirrel finds a nut). Worst part about GM navigation is gm-only software so you can't download maps
2) dashtop navigation - includes any of the ones you see in cars on the street. You can download offroad maps then make the unit use that software, but it requires programming and is not user friendly (I've done this with my garmins, but I don't use other gps units mostly because I can only really afford just one platform
3) handheld - in my opinion the best option because getting software for wherever you're going is pretty easy, down side is most of them operate off batteries and will not allow you to plug into your car... this is true with most, if not all Garmin handhelds (I have at least a dozen of different makes). One of the other reasons, if you need the GPS outside of the car, having a portable one is a nice option.
4) aftermarket radio navigation - my Kenwood stereo allows the use of memory cards and mapping software, it works okay, but at this point, it's not been reliable - so I'm not ready to recommend it to anyone
5) professional navigation like Loran - of course, these units start at $2500 - so cost may be an issue along with where to mount it... GM felt we needed passenger air bags (but my wife is already there - haha), so that nice location to put it has some issues (you'd break the navigation is the air bag went off :) - which of course won't go off unless someone is in the seat, or some dog)

I don't add phones, I've used everything suggested and more - and the biggest liability is the battery. They last maybe 40 minutes before going completely dead. Worse, their antennas are designed for more populous places - trees affect them way too much, and too often you don't even notice that it's location is plus or minus several miles...

Last edited:

digglesworth

I'm looking for something I can use off-line. Download what I need before I head out. I have issues with my Garmin not recognizing where I'm at, even with the current downloads. I've heard good things about backcountry navigator. The only bad thing I've heard is the space it takes up. People try and download whole states instead of only the sections they need.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
The only one I use on my iPad/iPhone is called PDF Maps. Some maps are free and some you have to pay for. It's not some supper app but it does the job. I've used it even when I was in Estonia, since my GPS didn't have any secondary roads.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

SuperBuickGuy

Probably more of an issue with the Garmin's antenna than one with the software. I'm using National Geographic software, so perhaps data is more robust? dunno. I use Garmin because it's what I have, though it's not necessarily the best... though, with that said, I think they all suck equally - so YMMV

digglesworth

Downloaded backcountry navigator. It's not too bad. But some of the map sources are free and others you have to pay for. I may download Gaia and play around with that one too.

RamRod

I use Motion GPX on my Ipad, the only trick is to have a changing cord (that's plugged in and charging) for any time you want to use it over an hour.

What I like about it is you can record a track, then send it to a friend via email you can also download from a friend if they send you one, plus you can pre-download an area you know your going to before heading out when you have wi-fi and then you have a bunch of extra info but you haven't filled you device's memory up with areas you know you wont be in

owlxxx

Ive recently staryed using onXhunt. Works without cell service and you can download maps and you can track your routes and times.

MilamJR

I use the Magellan TRX. You can track your route, uses GPS so no cell signal needed and you can connect it to your computer to add maps. Can also use it as an on road GPS as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk