• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hunter Edition H3 Alpha

Hunner

New tires. 285 Cooper STMAXX with the armor tech carcass.
The 315 Cooper STT that came on the used Hutchinsons I bought have finally mostly worn down. 3 might be ok. They no longer make this tire.
I wanted more rubber on the road with siping and studs if I want and more rubber on slick rock. The Cooper STMAXX does not come in 315. I was going to get Dick Cepek (owned now by Mickey Thompson) and made by cooper 315's FCII. There was at that time a low stock. I got a better deal and decided to go with the "STMAXX" for this winter and drop back to 285 to maybe get better mpg and less stress on other components. I wrote this somewhere else but needs to be in my build. I held out for the 285 for a long time until I had the opportunity to run the ones I got with the wheels.
After a long day, I got to run these tonight and they first are waaaay less loud, I actually turned down the XM on the concrete freeway, not roar. Seems to handle flatter in curves, probably a bit less high center of gravity and of course new soft rubber.
Factoid, my worn down 315's I jacked up just enough to get them off, I had to raise the jack several pumps to get the new 285's on. Lots of tread.
Stacked up it's hard to see the 1.5 inch difference or 3/4 more clearance in the 315. I know it WAS there.
These are not much lighter, I need to check the weight.
DAH_7133.jpg

DAH_7136.jpg

New 285 on top of old worn 315.
It got dark! Pictures on the H3 later.
DAH_7139.jpg

Last edited:

JGBB04

I guess I jumped on your STT band wagon at the end, got mine in May of this year. A friend of mine got Toyo MTs which have the same tread pattern but beefier sidewall & wheigh 10lbs more. After this years Black Mnt trip I'm loving the STT, worked great on the trail & milded manner enough on the road to make up for going to 35s

Last edited:

Hunner

Yep, great tires, can't figure why they would drop those?
I like American made products when I can get what I want.
Somehow I did not want "Toyo" on my tires or "Wrangler" last two sets of those I had on my pickup truck were junk. I finally decided it was faulty workmanship and materials, but they did not see it that way.
I think I like these STMAXX for the driving I will be doing for awhile.

Last edited:

Hunner

A bit of info that might save some one some trouble. When the jerk that whacked an orange barrel that I missed but not the base which must have had a metal ring in it, cut my tire I had to limp to a safe place to change it. In the pouring heavy rainfall no less. One of the spare mounting studs that are only spot welded broke loose. Lots of fun there!
The beadlocks did their job. Glad this was before my new tires.
Did some grinding and welding. Those pincher type welders or robots don't cut it!! It had 3 tiny spots of welds under the head.
I would recommend doing this NOW!
DAH_7132.jpg

Last edited:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
That is some very good advice. I did the same for the same reasons. Fortunately for me it happened in the workshop and not in the boonies. You should post it on its own since not everyone may see this build.

JGBB04

That is some very good advice. I did the same for the same reasons. Fortunately for me it happened in the workshop and not in the boonies. You should post it on its own since not everyone may see this build.

You learn that the hard way after the 40's :)

Hunner

Yea I should have but it was late and I don't want to keep plastering all my paranoid prevention ideas and clogging up the forum.
How big is that cloud server, lol
I usually hit new posts or what's new so I maybe don't miss things. That might not be the case for everyone.
I will stick it in the tech library

Last edited:

Hunner

I could barely lift the 315 up there I can only imagine the 40. I guess I should work out more lifting tires?

Did a little test run photo op with the new tires and rack mod part XXXXXXXIIIIIII lol
Yea Yea I know the cable is loose. I always get back lash after neatly spooling it on. Doesn't matter I pull all of that out down to smooth spool before winching.
I still need to figure out how to make my dual fog light pods. Metal is too high and I have not had time to mold up some carbon fiber.
I'm still in rack mode and other front suspension research so it makes it easy for now to access that.
No mud just loose gravel. I wanted to see how these would dig in. I placed my front end with modded bumper brackets against this log and hit the throttle. I was hoping to just place the front wheels on the log, too far and I would become a teeter totter. The OEM tupperware would have been junk if it still extended down. The left rear dug in. Stuck! Oh no! lol I was in 4 high. I still am not sure about this all wheel drive. The other three did not move me. Same thing happened in sand down in Galveston.
So I go to 4 lock, sort of moved some. So hit 4 lo, I could really dig myself a hole that way. Ok, tired of screwing around I engaged the rear locker and backed up with out spinning a tire. Research successful. I was also going over in my mind how to winch backward with my three turning blocks to a stand of trees before I attempted this without my rear winch in place .
DAH_7168.jpg

7169.jpg

DAH_7170.jpg

DAH_7175.jpg

DAH_7176.jpg

DAH_7182.jpg

7180.jpg

DAH_7189.jpg

Last edited:

Hunner

Did some more mod testing on the steering rack sleeves and heck while I was out I did some posed shots and tried out the ST/MAXX in the gumbo clay.
Looks like I'm on safari in the bush of Arkansas.
e7329.jpg

con7327mid150.jpg

7326.jpg

7328midcon.jpg

7325.jpg

and now I remember why I hate mud. In this sticky stuff the tires loaded up just like my MTZ and STT. Maybe Boggers would have been the tire for this!!
However this kept from digging me down to the axles.
Might have to start carrying the anchors?
A little extra throttle and they cleaned out.
This is where I take people that say, "I nver ben stuk" you can get stuck on top of this stuff.
DAH_7334.jpg

DAH_7335.jpg

by the way I'm sitting here by the home computer and I did not walk home! lol

Last edited:

Hunner

I have wanted to do this since 06, never got the nerve, then on the 08 as it also has the "frog eyes" OEM lights. They glare on my hood and may need a glare shield under the front edge.
I have been following the use and application of the Plasticoat (says it's rubber) for awhile now and thought rather than commit to a full out paint scheme I would try that. I never allowed GM to glue my fake hood louvers down, just for this project at some point. I used some handles and thru bolted them back when they announced the recall. I found some surface rust on the paint from some metal particles that found their way under there. I washed it good and used a paint prep cleaner on it. I masked under the edge all around so I could fold this stuff under so the edges of white would not show. With the spray cans it was hard to wet it out but I wanted a matte finish anyway. The new has worn off the Alpha and this will be functional now, and I could peel it off. I have been having a great time running Forest Service roads at night and needed to give this a try.
I'm working on setting up some ralley's for offroad vehicles and part of it will be at night.
I followed the videos they have online and it came out fairly well. I have 6 thin coats.
I will see if it holds up to the rigors of dirt and mud.

DAH_7501.jpg

DAH_7502_zps035780c4.jpg

DAH_7505-1.jpg

DAH_7507-1.jpg

DAH_7508.jpg

Before
_DSC3303.jpg

Attempt before with magnetic shields
re4462ex.jpg

Now, I may have to spray the vent/wiper grill piece and there is still a halo on the windshield so I still need to try the plastic shields under the roof lights. Sort of like on a traffic light only on the bottom but a great deal better in real life.
7514.jpg

temp black shields on lights and without remote side spots on.
DAH_7515-1.jpg

Some OUTSIDE images of the hood experiment.
7596_zpsdc8d725d.jpg

DAH_7592_zpsd1e0874b.jpg

Did I mention I hate mud? This may be red cement.
7587_zpsd32fe9be.jpg

and just to show stock droop in the rear and running Bilsteins with the tire almost even with my rock rails should be enough in most cases.
DAH_7594_zps6d35583b.jpg

Last edited:

Hunner

Yeah that was it. I did not have the can in here when I wrote that. PlastiKote is another product for spraying vinyl vents and scoops on boats. I did use the Plastidip on the hood.
I applied it as per the instructions and researched it online.
I will see in the real world application if it stays together.
I chose not to run it thru my good guns or buy a Wagoner as I was not impressed the time I tried one of those.
This is my normal canvas so to speak, a little different application using PPG Concept acrylic urethane.
_DSC7084_resize.jpg

Last edited:

ArtHummer

Looks very nice. How many cans of a plasti dip you had to use to cover it?
Also, from what I see, it looks like the plasti dip preaty durable. Shouldn't it also protect the original paint from small scratches, like from brushes and staff. Mine is black and I want to keep it this way but, I was thinking on covering the fenders with it, so it won't be all scratched up after getting in to the bushes.

P.S. Do you have a picture of the can that you used?

Hunner

Looks very nice. How many cans of a plasti dip you had to use to cover it?
Also, from what I see, it looks like the plasti dip preaty durable. Shouldn't it also protect the original paint from small scratches, like from brushes and staff. Mine is black and I want to keep it this way but, I was thinking on covering the fenders with it, so it won't be all scratched up after getting in to the bushes.

P.S. Do you have a picture of the can that you used?

I used two cans until they were almost empty and stopped in case they started spewing chunks lol. I then did some touch up with a third can. I got 6 just in case. I may do some other ideas I have.
It's this stuff in the spray can. I got mine at Lowe's. It's hard to control overspray and still do light coats like they suggest, so it can get a rough finish. The HVLP gun may have worked better. I think I could wipe it with xylol lightly and then recoat to smooth it. I really don't mind it a bit rough to help cut glare. I noticed the light still reflects off of it some. It is a lot better though. I will roll it out in the heavy overcast sky to day and see what it looks like after curing overnight with some heat on in the shop.
I'm used to keeping a wet edge and laying on paint just short or getting runs. Then fix any I do get as I have to paint outside most of the time. I did this in the shop because it was windy but wore my full face mask forced filtered air. I don't think you want this in your lungs.
http://www.plastidip.com/

Last edited:

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
God I guess I have never seen photo do those deadlocks justice... they are freaking sweet!

(Just wish I wheeled enough to justify buying them and the extra rim weight)

Last edited:

4speedfunk

Hunner...you should photo-shop a tiger into the weeds on a couple of those pics.

Also...why don't you meet me in Ft. Myers with that boat? I'll bring you some bumpers.

We can run that leaner down to the Dry Tortugas...stop in Key West for a few days (beer & oysters)...sail a beat back to Charlotte Harbor.

Hunner

Hunner...you should photo-shop a tiger into the weeds on a couple of those pics.

"I thought that too. Interesting type of brush"

Also...why don't you meet me in Ft. Myers with that boat? I'll bring you some bumpers.

"My boats a bit more involved than packing up a bass boat lol" but I have done it several times."
DSC_0022.jpg

We can run that leaner down to the Dry Tortugas...stop in Key West for a few days (beer & oysters)...sail a beat back to Charlotte Harbor.

"Been there done that too but will probably just charter in the future. Gotta head out to Smith Shoals from FT. Myers and hang a left into Key West then out to the Tortugas. Lots of reefs and lots of open water for about 50 hours, no bars along the way"
I sailed into Key West for a couple of days and lost a month of my life! There is a time warp down there and just on the edge of the Bermuda Triangle!
This was on the last leg back from down there when we headed across the Gulf of America from Key West to Panama City and then back to Biloxi.
I think I emailed you some of these but for the those wanting a glimpse of the adventure,,,,,,,,,,
It can go from mild to wild and you can't just pull off the trail!
SWOctoffshore2.jpg

nineknots.jpg

This is just before the "green flash" 100 miles out near the horizon, I hoped Columbus was right! See that face in the sky!
WOWORANGE.jpg

Last edited:

4speedfunk

Yeah bro...wife & I just got back from St.Pete. We bareboated a Catalina-35...did some gunkin between the Skyway Bridge and Venice. Sandy came along and gave us some 30-knot winds and 6-foot waves! Sunsets...dolphins on the bow...grillin fresh Mahi... (heavy sigh)...

DSC_0045.JPG DSC_0101.JPG DSC_0178.JPG DSC_0041.JPG

p.s. Now THATS a hi-jack!

Hunner

Hey it's MY build thread we can Hi-jack it if we want! lol It just shows the diversity of the people in this forum.

You sound like the skipper of the Bounty, going out in a hurricane?? that is for large NAVY ships to go out to sea!
I'm hoping you meant days before even on the other coast?
Nice boat. I see they moved things to the binnacle,
I built my own, I call it my I-Pod (instrument pod) Back in 83 Watkins did not include much and I am now on the second or third generation of GPS mapplotters and radar and autopilot.
cutout.jpg

wiring.jpg

Ipodlll.jpg

Night.jpg

DCP_0434.jpg

Glad to see you made that trip. Your preaching to the choir ya know ha ha

Last edited:

4speedfunk

Sailing is worse than Meth! I'm hopelessly addicted to it.

We didn't really "go out in a hurricane". It sort of expanded to where we were. Hell, we were 600 miles from the hurricane...I thought we would be safe on the gulf side. Wrong! It blew like hell for three-days and we had to hole up in a cove, double-anchored, with a bunch of other suckers. It was still sunny, warm, and beautiful...just blowin like mad. Finally caught a clear window and made the run back up to St. Pete. We hit hull speed tacking upwind with reefed main and a 60% jib...pinch & fall-off...pinch & fall-off. It was a great sail. We got into port on Wednesday 10-28, and immediately heard the news about the Bounty. That was a big deal there because St. Pete Pier was her winter home and she was sort of a local attraction down there. Sad news to hear she went down.

Anytime you need a mate...just look me up. I'll fly into wherever and we can hit it!

Hunner

Sailing is a way of life. I planned and dreamed of my retirement starting in 1983 based on taking my boat down to the Gulf in 1998. It kept me alive! Big day was hauling it myself and left it there for 8 years. Awesome memories and many new friends with a common goal, or none! ha ha
Margaritaville is any place you want it to be!