• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Bro of 06 H3 2008 Jeep JKU X build

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I have posted up some stuff before but seeing I dont have a dedicated thread for the JK I might as well start, especially seeing the H3 would be done by now if I didnt spend so much time working on his heep. Not to sound corny or gay but I will say since we have both got into wheeling and wrenching we have become much closer. Hes kinda like a best friend now...Ok, even of this mushy stuff. On to the jeep.

He started out with a 08 JKU and the X model. Its like a Base package. D30 front, D44 rear, 2.72:1 Low range. Manual windows and locks. Hardtop nothing special...

Here she is next to squeaky back when he got her in 2010 or 2011 (cant rememeber)

The previous owner did add power locks though. Which we had to redo seeing the moron used hanger wire as linkage to the locks. This previous owner really did suck.

First mod done by us was a CB radio install, I got him the CB as a "welcome to the world of 4x4s" gift

After that we bedlined the OEM 16in steelies and painted the taillights with VHT nightshades.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
He wasted no time on lifting the JK because on our first ride out he got stuck on a little fire road, the 29in tires wouldnt cut it!

He got an AEV 4.5in lift with bilstein shocks, progressive springs, draglink flip, bilstein steering stabilizer, 315/75/16 Duratracs (35s and the same ones I run)

The next morning we went down to pick up the 315/75/16 duratracs because the tire shop was closed, thought it was funny with the little tires.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
The main point of this build is to be as unique as possible, its a JK so it wont be the most unique vehicle in the world but doing things differently then the typical JK. Typical as in Hemi, 40s on 17in rims, coilovers etc.

Little things go a long way, 16in rims vs 17s, supercharger instead of Hemi, 38in tires vs the typical 37 or 40in tire.

My brother doesnt go on forums like I do, I go to learn and share info. He goes straight for the for sale section. The JK has a HUGE used parts section. Instead of paying out the ass for ****, he searches for used deals.

So to start was going with a different bumper then most.

We started with a classic POS Smittybilt bumper

No winch mount, no hoop bar nothing, so we cut a hole and recessed a winch mount and went to a buddies house bent up the tube and welded it all together, added some lights and called it good...for now.

I think that looks MUCH better then the smittybilt winch mount bumper with hoop bar done from the factory IMO plus doing it ourselves was half the price and fun.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Some more fab practice I made some windshield light mounts and he got some KC's.

after that he picked up a body armor rear bumper and swing out, DONT BUY IT if you have a JK!!!!

It is horrible, it sags and constantly swung open and almost took out a civic windshield.

I welded an L bracket to the bumper and an L bracket to the swing out, got a bolt drilled a hole through it and got a little pin that way it wont open up anymore.

and he changed antennas.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Added JKS quick disconnects and tested out the flex

After that not much went on....

After a while he picked up EVO weld on sliders

Staying on course with theme, buying used to save money our chromosexual neighbor had this ridiculously chromed out gross jeep and was moving and had to get rid of some stuff, for $250 bucks he got 4 tube doors(new runs 700 bucks) an OEM soft top (used you can sell for 500-600 bucks) and small little crap. He would be an idiot if he didnt go for it! He uses the soft top in the summer and hard top most other times. If he ever decides to sell the soft top he would make money for that kind of deal.

Here are the tube doors

He also ditched the big lights for a set of Rigid Dually D2s and a Rigid 10in bar

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Then it was time to ditch the chrome and plastidip the emblem. It has held up great for years!

Then bought a mount and rigid 40in bar used from Timgco on this forum

and then trim the fenders for some needed clearance when he steps up in tire size.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
A better shot of the trimmed fenders,

After he lifted his he was more capable then me so I lifted mine and then we were even, then I added a rear locker did the spring over and could do more then him so it was back to the used section to find a Dana 44 used.

He ended up getting the Dana 44, OEM locker, TNT truss, C gussets, Axle sleeves so he could build the strongest 44.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums...E-BC62-15568563D531-9156-00000948388ABCC2.jpg

We ran into some complications but got it all taken care of so when it was all said and done he had just about everything you can do the a Dana44. We added synergy ball joints, all thats left for improvement is the OEM locker and stock shafts, which will be upgraded eventually.

At that time we regeared it to 5.13s.

Also added a Daystar switch panel and LED switches

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums...0-B13F-26226F360045-9156-0000094843792070.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums...D-879E-1424662C4015-9156-0000094849629F09.jpg

I also forgot to mention he upgraded the front driveshaft to a double cardan one and ditched the stocker.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
He also added the G2 diff covers seeing he destroyed his stock ones.

After that it was time to look into rear quarter panel armor

Instead of paying to fix it we got a stud welder from harbor freight popped it out as best as we could then got OR-fab body armor with the slider bar to avoid hitting the hardtop

Last edited:

Panzer07

Nice built...maybe a jeep will be In my wife near future...

Sent From Someone Else's iPhone 'Cause I'm Too Broke To Own One.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Instead of running some aftermarket tie rod we made our own because his was bent to hell. Got some 1.5in diameter .25 wall DOM tubing from ruff stuff, some weld in bungs and GM 1 ton tie rod ends.

He also added Safari straps 4dr extended cage

Its a nice setup, keeps everything in when the doors are on and the top is off.

Superchips Trail Dash was added to give more power, adjust idle, read engine codes.

The OEM sound system sucked so he put in a Pioneer head unit and speakers.

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Next up was the rear locker, Its an non rubi 44 so it has 30 spline axle shafts vs the 32 spline, originally he was going to get rubi stuff and put it in his non rubi 44 but the housings are a bit different. The non rubi has the same shafts while the rubi has one longer then the other, personally I like the non rubi to have the same shafts, its one less spare you gotta carry.

He went with a 35 spline (dana 60 spline count) OX locker and 35 spline chromoly axle shafts to help make it stronger.

I love the OX locker, the cover and the locking mechanism helps with deflection too, which will help keep parts from flying.

Here is the rear locker shifter.

Only picture I have...I recommend the OX unit to everyone though.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Other little things were moving the CB to above the rear view mirror, adding rock lights, picking up used rigids from Kyle after he totaled his Hummer (still uninstalled)

He also destroyed his stock control arm off roading, His lower control arm was bent in half so he upgraded to the clayton long arm kit.

He wanted to upgrade the suspension a bit so he ditched the AEV coils for synergy suspension coil springs (ride much better!) and he bought 4 used King 2.5 Remote resi shocks, they kick ass!

He also added JKS ACOS (adjustable coil spring spacers) to adjust ride height up front due to added weight or sagging.

A future mod is to modify the front and rear shock mounts move them up for more down travel and the front mounts out also because under full droop they hit the frame.

Added 6+ longer then stock stainless steel crown brakelines, I jokingly said order purple and he did.

We also added an adjustable teraflex front track bar

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
37+ in tires are WAY cheaper for 16in rims then 17s. Everyone on a JK runs 17s so he went 16.

Painted black and the caps purple (look much darker and less girly in person)

And got 345/75/16 KM2s (37s) He wanted 365s (38s) but they were out of stock so 38s are for next time.

These are bad pics but the 37s are huge compared to the 35in duratracs.

We also trimmed the pinch seam.

Other things we recently did was notch the truss to avoid hitting the oil pan at full bump and an EVO oil pan skid

He is running 4.5in rims and 1.5in spacers Total being 3.0 in backspacing. hes 81 in wide outside tire to outside tire he may ditch the spacers to get rid of stress on the axles and bring him in to 78in wide.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
The last mod we did and just finished today was the rubicrawler, PURE BADASS! Its a doubler and avoids drivetrain mods, driveshaft mods and crossmember mods.

Advance Adapters takes a JK auto tranny empty tailhousing and puts a planetary gearbox for 1:1 and 2.72:1 ratio.

So he now has a 3 speed t case... 1:1, 2.72:1 and 7.4:1 If he buys a used rubi t case (4:1) in the future it will be a 4 speed t case, having 1:1, 2:72:1, 4:1, and 10.88:1.

I think its great for different types of terrain, mud and snow 2.72:1 and rocks 7.4:1.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
A total mod list

2008 Silver JKU X model

Dana44 Front with TNT truss, EVO sleeves, TNT gussets, Synergy beefed up shock mounts and control arm mounts, OEM locker, OEM axle shafts, G2 diff cover 5.13 gears
Dana 44 Rear 35 spline OX locker, 35 spline Nitro chromoly shafts 5.13 gears
King 2.5 remote resi shocks front and rear
4.5in Synergy coil springs
Front ACOS spacers
Ruff stuff tie rod
Cobra CB and antenna
Rigid 40in light bar
Rigid 10 in light bar
Rigid Dually D2s
OR FAB rear corner armor
Modified smittybilt front bumper w/ hoop bar
Smittybilt XRC 10 winch
Body Armor rear bumper with swing out (L brackets to prevent swing out and killing someone)
Daystar switch panel
Pioneer radio and speakers
Superchips trail dash
345/75/16 KM2s
4.5in backspaced Pro comp rims
spidertrax 1.5in spacers
Safari Straps Extended Cage
Quadratec Grab Handles
EVO sliders
Teraflex Monster Track bar
Rubicrawler
Power locks
EVO oil pan skid
Rubicon Express Front driveshaft
Clayton rear long arm
Winshield light brackets with KCs
Walmart rock lights

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
After getting home I crashed and slept (total hours still did not add up to the naps my brother took in moab :) )

At times in so cal the wheelbase he had was a bit too long, he sat a tad too low and got hung up when crawling on tougher rock trails but in moab his setup seemed perfect. The lower and longer you are the better, of course to an extent)

I went back and saw what he started at and remember when I took him wheeling for the first time down a fireroad and he got stuck because the 27in tires and 3-4 in of ground clearance were just pathetic.

So whats next?
The 3.8 makes the 3.5 look powerful and to stick with the theme of getting great deals and buying used he had bought a used supercharger over a year ago which we never installed, while wheeling and around town the 3.8, 5.13 gears and superchips make it decent when climbing hills at higher elevation with freeway speeds we had to either sit at 5k to maintain 60 or slow down to 45 mph so the supercharger is more for drivability on freeways not wheeling.

His steering is pitiful. It would lock up on the street when trying to park. DIY ram assist is can be done for under 500 bucks while PSCs kit is 1500 bucks and the JK guys seem to really like it, it will give him the power to turn on and off road with the front locker on or off.

Caster, my SAS steers great and much like a factory H3 minus a tad bit of play on a 150k mile box. His steering is very flighty and its due to the lack of caster he has. His front control arms are fixed and are not adjustable which leaves the caster non adjustable. He could buy short arms but for not much more I can build him a long arm kit which will handle nicer and allow me to adjust things to get some good caster back.

He wants a roll cage, while it wont be like a scorpion roll cage where you can roll the thing down a mountain, flip it back over, start it up and keep going his will be able to handle a little flop on the trail and keep the passengers safe.

When his small 37s (more like 36s) need to be replaced he will probably go to 38s and stop there. Anything bigger would probably start breaking axles.

Added to the list above are All4offroad rock lights, 2 sets of 2 and the rear tire basket and rear rigid lights.

This is a long list that will be done over a long period of time but it atleast keeps me busy when I dont have the funds to mod my own rig :)