• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Transmission Pan question & fluid question

rollerlocked

I am looking to do get some maintenance caught up on a new vehicle ( I have no idea if anything has been done with it in the past) .

The vehicle is a 2007 hummer h3 3.7 with the 4l60e .

1. I want replace the transmission pan with one that has a drain plug, and in the process replace the transmission fluid and filter . I am looking at the below pan and have read about clearance issues with any extended capacity pans, the pan below is listed as a standard depth 2 quart pan , has anyone on here used this pan or have any recommendations on which pan to buy .

hughes performance HP3782e
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hup-hp3782e

2. Next up is fluid for the transmission, I am looking at the RedLine D6 fluid, does anyone run it, or is there a special fluid you guys would recommend for the transmission.

Redline D6
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/red-30704/overview/

Mr_Rich

The ad says the actual part may vary; realize that the trans pan in the picture is for a T350 trans. I installed a B&M deep pan with a drain plug on my K1500 and that 700R4 trans lasted 225K miles. I think I would recommend a steel pan over cast aluminum. If you bang it on a rock it will crack and possibly lose a chunk. A steel pan will bend and possible tear but is repairable out in the field easier than a cast pan would be.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I haven't seen an aftermarket pan that works on the H3. Crawl under there and take a look and you'll see that the pan is formed around the front propshaft. It's unique to the H3. You'll have better results installing a trans cooler in series with the radiator or, better yet, installing an oversize transmission cooler and bypassing the radiator to get additional cooling.

I like Red Line fluids. As long as you feel comfortable that it meets the Dex VI requirements, go for it. I find it interesting how they say "designed to meet" the Dex VI requirements. They apparently haven't been certified (perhaps didn't want to pay) so I think you take a bit of risk going with Red Line in this application. Probably is fine but that's a decision you'll have to make. I'm sure others will have input too.

Best4x4

Yeah I doubt that pan is going to work. It must have the one side of the pan formed to clear the drive shaft. I haven't heard of any aftermarket pans designed specifically for our H3's.

I just used some Castrol Dex VI in my wife's 07 Adventure. It was cheap, full synthetic and available anywhere.

Last edited:

rollerlocked

Alright so to make it a 1 weekend project , I ordered a factory replacement acdelco 24240206 transmission pan, and a weld in steel bung , when the parts arrive the modification will begin , anyone got any ideas on best placement for the bung to not interfere with internals of the transmission?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Here are a couple of pictures for you.

Lower left is front of truck, upper right is to the rear
i-jfvdxfX-L.jpg

The pan. The rocks in the upper right came free of charge. Those were in my pan when I dropped it
i-d5nWq6D-L.jpg

I think your best spot might be facing the front, towards the driver's side.
i-CTndNsj-L.jpg

Attachments

• i-CTndNsj-L.jpg
    i-CTndNsj-L.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,298

rollerlocked

Here it is installed...
I also replaced transmission fluid , transmission filter , rear diff , front diff, and transfer case fluid. I had a question is my transfer case drain plug affected by the fill plug issue? I found a tag on it labeling it as 4493 11/10/2006 13:09 60GE C016865 , an I read somewhere that 06 had transfer case fill plug in the wrong location.

rollerlocked

This is pretty sweet guy, I highly recommend swapping out your fluid for redline fluids , I am now making 15mpg, before changing fluid i was making 13.5-13.9mpg . My hummer is an 07 h3 with the 3.7 i5.

rollerlocked

285/65/18 tires everything else looks entirely factory to me mileage odometer is at 112940 , from what I read online people get 13 to 16 mpg , I figured my results were normal.

abearden

MUCH EASIER!!! I want to do that but cant weld aluminum.
They sell kits at AutoZone and the like that bolt in. I've got one on my transmission (4L80E has a nice mini-sump the bolt fits perfectly). If you're worried about the security you can braze the lock bolt to the pan.

abearden

The one I got is a straight thread with an o-ring. The kit came with plastic lock washers for the pan connection, but I swapped them with copper.

rollerlocked

I used a mild steel weld in o2 bung and bolt , I was going to use a copper crusher with it but didn't have one at the time of install , so I continued without and I have no leak...

4speedfunk

GM doesn't put drain plugs on trannies because they want you to change the filter. I guess the thinking is that if you drop the pan to drain it...you might as well change the filter. Otherwise, people might be inclined to just drain & re-fill the fluid, and ignore the filter inside.

19mpg? Not around here. I never got more than 17, and that was with stock Bridgestone Duellers. I get 13 now and consider this to be very good for 5.13 gears, 37" tires, and the aerodynamics of a concrete block.

abearden

GM doesn't put drain plugs on trannies because they want you to change the filter. I guess the thinking is that if you drop the pan to drain it...you might as well change the filter. Otherwise, people might be inclined to just drain & re-fill the fluid, and ignore the filter inside.
Great logic...except lowering that pan can be very messy.

4speedfunk

Yeah. Its a GM thang...and they've been that way forever. I've always left one bolt installed on one of the corners of the pan. Then get a big drain pan under it...stand back...pop the tranny pan loose from the gasket (at the corner opposite of the bolt)...and try to get most of it in the drain pan. This technique allows the tranny pan to drop one corner, and "pour" the fluid...rather than dumping it all over you and your garage. It works...but, not near as good as a plug.

MaxPF

AGNTSA

They do it because it saves 20 cents on each vehicle they manufacture.

I have never read a GM service manual on the 4L60 or 4L80, so I wonder that their official position is on changing the internal filter. After all, the filter is there just to catch big crap. It doesn't really "filter" the oil. I have read Allison service manuals and their position was clear: the internal filter only needed to be changed during overhaul of the transmission. Allys also have a drain plug in the pan, which eliminates the need to drop the pan to change fluid.