• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Fire hose tow strap

spillKill

So one of my friends calls me up and says he got this fire hose and wants to make it into a tow strap.
so the question is how do we go about doing this, he wants to cut the ends and do a loop with a big ol hook on each end but how to we fasten it?
Ive done a little digging online and the most I come across is someone just tying a knot at the end but we want something a little more professional haha
So any suggestions?? :huh:
Thanks!

08H3

That never even crossed my mind. What's a firehose made of? Only reason I ask is that there is one locally on Craigslist for $5! Might be worth the investment.

spillKill

not sure whats its made out of but its def. some heavy duty stuff! also did see that some people take the hose and put their real tow strap inside it as a sleeve to help protect it.

abearden

I wouldn't trust used firehose to have sufficient tensile strength to pull a stuck truck. Don't know exactly how to calculate it, but found a kinked (roughly equating to knotted) rating of 600PSI for new hose online. For a capped 3" hose that equates to roughly 4200 pounds of force, and probably not shock-rated. Keep in mind most knots will reduce tensile strength by at least 20% and most tow straps start at 20k, I don't think they're up to snuff. Not to say it won't work, just be careful with it.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Also, probably a reason why they came across it. Might be outdated. There is a reason why the FD change them out

spillKill

yes it is a used hose and it is 1 1/1" not 3" but I also found that they kind of work like a snatch rope as they have a rubber liner on the inside

abearden

So you're looking at somewhere just north of 1/2 ton of tensile strength if my original calculation was correct. I don't know that it's worth the safety risk of having heavy rubber hose snap and dent your truck (or worse, a living being) when a 2"x20' strap rated at 10 tons can be had for $20 online, and is not only smaller but lighter as well.

With those warnings given, most tow straps use some combo of back weaving, crimping, and sewing to hold the ends together. Due to the rubber interior, back weaving and sewing aren't possible. Attaching a metal crimp to a line of unknown strength is out the window as well. Tying appears to be the only feasible option. Maybe finish it with a webbing sheath to clean it up.

HUMMERDAD

DO NOT USE THAT FIREHOSE FOR THAT PURPOSE You will injure you’re self and others around you a 1" 1/2 fire hose is rated for 3000 psi. The rubber jacket is designed to expand within the outer jacket. They only have a sort use life as they wear out quickly usually about 5 years. Depending on usage that outer jacket is designed to protect the liner from rough objects and heat. Remember fires average 2500 degrees for a full engulfed fire. there are allot of variables here so I not going to go into details so yes fire hoses are strong they have to be. But they are not made to handle weight of something pulling on them they will break.

My job in the Navy was basically a Firefighter so with that said firehouses are just not meant for that they are mostly made with a cotton outer jacket with a neoprene inner liner ranging from 3000 psi to 5000 psi depending on the size of hose you’re using and pump of course. The outer jacket is made to protect the inner liner from protrusions when fighting fires, i.e. fallen derbies, metal, wood, and concrete, anything that could pierce the hose. The end are made of brass couplings or composite materials for corrosion purposes. Now the Fire departments here may use other materials for the fire hose the purpose is still the same as are the restrictions. Remember these things are dragged into very high temperatures when fighting fires. So they are constantly expanding and contracting with the temperature of the surrounding environment but also the water flowing through it. This is why firehouses don't last long they are simply put through hell and have a short life as a result.

Now what I have seen people do with old fire hoses is they cut them up in smaller sizes and use them to cover winch cables over say rock or around a tree so as not to wear out the cable. The firehouse works great for this its extension of its original purpose. to protect what’s inside.

Last edited:

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ant gonna preach on tow strap safety and or your desire to re-purpose a cast-off fire hose.

Go to YouTube and search for "tow strap breaks".

Watch what happens.

Save up your beer money and go buy a quality strap.

You will not regret it.

Pappibri

Yeah, what Gunner just said.. You can get a good one at a reasonable price.. Not worth taking a chance and damaging your rig or hurting somebody...