• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H2 Desert race truck

autumn walker

Excellent description to start the build thread. I will be following this one. Very interested in how you design the roll cage. These are great reference pics for a stripped interior - pretty basic with all the components out.

MTUH3

Awesome! Looking forward to this.

Are your from SSM MI or Canada? I wouldn't mind an opportunity to come and check it out or lend a hand some time. My wife travels up there for work from time to time.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Very interesting build.

I'm surprised you aren't going larger than 37" wheels.

I think you're wise to not put the spares on a roof rack. Better to keep the weight low and easier to access.

Keep us informed.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Going over 37s isnt necessary for racing in high speed desert only style stuff. For rocks go bigger...but in the desert and high speed the less unsprung weight you have the better and a bigger heavier tire will do the opposite of that.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't the whole race be tackled in 2wd? Baja bugs to trophy trucks and everything in between does. I've never been out there so I don't know the terrain well. I still see a benefit in 4wd in case you stop in a silt bed you have the 4wd to pull you out where I would assume momentum is key in the big silt beds.

Anyways you don't even need to pull the diff. In a racing situation where time is key pull both halfshafts and driveshaft and put it in 4hi locked with the vehicle off (computer wont interfere when it's off. If its on the computer won't engage into 4 hi locked and in 4hi unlocked it will send the power to the front end.) also the way the H2 diff is setup the stub shafts will contain all fluid and broken parts so you don't have to pull the whole thing.

I would be more concerned on steering. It's a heavy truck and pounding down on that front end may put the steering to its breaking point. Is stock steering required? Can u just put beefier tie rods and idler arms on?

I also hear H2 steering systems get hot so a cooler may be necessary.

Lastly, good luck! I'm glad to see HUMMER being used in racing situations

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
so im assuming its going to look something like this?
hummer_h2_racing_dust-1920x1200.jpg

Zach

Mall Crawler
If you are running stock set up. I would recommend a few sets of inner and outer tie rods. Sometimes you can't get the outer apart from the inner depending in where it bends or breaks. Idler and pitman arm. And you already said a steering gear. Might want to throw a pump in with the tires you will be running. And the lines. Most of this doesn't take up much space. The gear is heavy though. And throw in at least one hub and bearing.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Almost forgot, halfshafts too. Looking forward to this and the build. Best of all good luck!