• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3T Stereo Installation questions/documentation

2010H3TAlpha

Hi Everyone, I am preparing to upgrade my stereo this week and wanted to ask a few questions of others who may have done the same in order to maximize my after-work time. From what I have read, the H3 and H3T are different enough that I think a new thread would help us H3T owners with our unique stereos. My Alpha has the Monsoon stereo but any non-Monsoon owners feel free to share what your experience was if you happened to upgrade the stereo. Here is what I am wondering:

1.) Where is the Monsoon amp located in the H3T? I know it is located near the sub in the regular H3, which doesn't help us H3T owners find our amps :)
2.) Where are the stock tweeters powered from? Directly from the Monsoon amp? Or are they wired in series or parallel with the front woofers? I'd like to mount my new tweeters in the A-pillars if that location ends up sounding better than the kick panel area. I'm actively amplifying them so using the stock wires would be a huge advantage over having to rewire everything.
3.) How much of our Monsoon stereo is the same as a Chevy Colorado's? I bet there is a lot more info on a Colorado available than our trucks, but only helpful if it is the same.

I've found this PDF from Schwartzzy for how to remove the door panels:
http://schwarttzy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Hummer-H3-Interior-Trim-Paneling.pdf

4.) Does anyone have a similar PDF for how to remove the factory interior A-Pillar trim?

This thread on Hummer X Forums also has some helpful information:
http://www.hummerxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14300

Thanks!

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
#3 is a factory manual, some of us have been "blessed" with those.
#4 u need same factory manual.

I guess #1 and#2 can be found there too.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Hi Everyone, I am preparing to upgrade my stereo this week and wanted to ask a few questions of others who may have done the same in order to maximize my after-work time. From what I have read, the H3 and H3T are different enough that I think a new thread would help us H3T owners with our unique stereos. My Alpha has the Monsoon stereo but any non-Monsoon owners feel free to share what your experience was if you happened to upgrade the stereo. Here is what I am wondering:

1.) Where is the Monsoon amp located in the H3T? I know it is located near the sub in the regular H3, which doesn't help us H3T owners find our amps :)

Behind the back panel, behind the rear seat....
h3tamp_zps8e0766c6.jpg

2.) Where are the stock tweeters powered from? Directly from the Monsoon amp? Or are they wired in series or parallel with the front woofers? I'd like to mount my new tweeters in the A-pillars if that location ends up sounding better than the kick panel area. I'm actively amplifying them so using the stock wires would be a huge advantage over having to rewire everything.
Stock tweeters are on separete circuits from the amplifier. I found a pair of tweeters that mount to the dashbaord and mounted them in the corner of the dash. Similar to a Jeep Wrangler.

3.) How much of our Monsoon stereo is the same as a Chevy Colorado's? I bet there is a lot more info on a Colorado available than our trucks, but only helpful if it is the same.

I've found this PDF from Schwartzzy for how to remove the door panels:
http://schwarttzy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Hummer-H3-Interior-Trim-Paneling.pdf

4.) Does anyone have a similar PDF for how to remove the factory interior A-Pillar trim?

A pillar trim is easy to remove. Remove the small cover on the panel, remove the screw under the cover, then grab hold of the trim and pull back. All other fastners are snap in type.

This thread on Hummer X Forums also has some helpful information:
http://www.hummerxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=14300

Thanks!

A pillar trim is easy to remove. Remove the small cover on the panel, remove the screw under the cover, then grab hold of the trim and pull back. All other fastners are snap in type.

h3tapillar_zpsb48cdc99.jpg

Last edited:

2010H3TAlpha

f5moab, you just saved me a world of time, THANK YOU!!! That is great news about the tweeters being on a separate circuit since I am actively amplifying them, separate from my midrange/midbass amp.

Edit: I am an idiot, did not realize the A-pillar removal was in the PDF I linked to above. Whoops!

Last edited:

RamRod

The Monsoon amp is behind the the plastic behind the rear passenger seat, I think to get at it properly you need to pull the rear seat, then pull the whole plastic panel then you'll have all the access you want to the amp because it'll be wide open!

2010H3TAlpha

Looks like the bit needed was a T30. Just finished deadening the inside of the driver's door and about to mount the first Dynaudio driver :)

The Monsoon amp is behind the the plastic behind the rear passenger seat, I think to get at it properly you need to pull the rear seat, then pull the whole plastic panel then you'll have all the access you want to the amp because it'll be wide open!

Cool, thanks!

RamRod

Any one know what size of speaker is in the rear door?

I blew a speaker back there and looking to replace it with an aftermarket set, anything the same size fit or do i have to worry about depth?

Thnx!

2010H3TAlpha

I believe they are 6x9's, not sure about max depth. I might try to fit Dynaudio 8's or 9's back there with a 3/4" MDF baffle so I can go sub-less without sacrificing too much bass.

RamRod

For the T the rear doors are 6x9, I have all my speakers upgraded with sub under the rear seat.

Interesting, I went to a shop tonight with a good rep around town and they sold me some 6.5's for the rear as their comp said it was a 6.5 in there already...

Is there a different speaker depending on if its a alpha or not perhaps?

RamRod

Haha by the looks of that pic it sure makes me think the guy sold me the wrong speaker!

I am going to take a closer look before pulling the door apart!

RamRod

So I picked up a set of these from a local audio shop:
$(KGrHqJHJEEFDOFVQGfiBQ8FCOY6Pw~~60_12.JPG
They installed them for me, but due to the monsoon amp, they were unable to get the low range to come out of the speakers... sounds like crap, anyone know how to wire them properly?