• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Fit in the Parking Garage!

joe380

My daily driver went to the shop for scheduled maintenance today so I drove my H3 to work. I was a little worried about it making it in the parking garage because the clearance is 6 feet 6 inches. Last night I checked with a tape measure and saw that it would be really close, I also checked online for stock specs before I made the drive.

Well this morning I made it to work and I made it in the garage! I have about an inch or two to spare on the roof racks but the antenna hits the cement beams so every couple of feet you hear a clanking noise. I got some weird looks while headed to my parking spot :shifty: but made it.

(just wanted to post this just in case anyone else was questioning the height of their rig)

bendyprissy

I had the exact same issue yesterday with my new job & their parking garage. I am about 4-5 inches from the beams but was nerve-wracking nonetheless. My antenna hits too. And then they have speed bumps in the parking garage; that made me nervous. :whaa:

joe380

I had the exact same issue yesterday with my new job & their parking garage. I am about 4-5 inches from the beams but was nerve-wracking nonetheless. My antenna hits too. And then they have speed bumps in the parking garage; that made me nervous. :whaa:

cool thanks for the reply, it's good to hear that I'm not the only one nervous about this. I don't plan on driving my h3 to work everyday but it's nice to know that I can if I need to.

ArtHummer

I've been parking in the garage for a year and finely the antenna gave out. It broke right at the base. So you might want to think about getting a shorter antenna or bend your and tight it to your roof rack. Or another option is to cut a bit of the top.

SuperBuickGuy

I have 1/4" clearance according to the sign at the parking garage (6'8").... they hung the sign at 6-6 :huh:I moved it up to 6-8 :mock:
But I went one step further, I measured the low points and found why they say 6-8 (there's a duct hanging over the end of a parking spot)... the rest of the garage is at least 7-0

That said, I ting the stuff at 7-0 with my antennas - be careful, it'll knock the end off the antenna (the round bit).... don't ask me how I know this

As for staring - I live near Seattle, if I don't get cut off by some sanctimonious b***h on my way to work - it's just not a normal day. :wink:

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is that exact same ****ing scenario that has my Gobi sitting in the garage out at the house instead of on top of my truck.

I have MAYBE an inch of clearance in the parking structure for my condo.

Did not realize how close I was till after I put the new 35’s on and snagged a low hanging pipe with back crossbar.

(just some minor scuffing on the crossbar, no damage to the rails fortunately)

Just another reason I am so ready to move out of down town into my house in the country.

joe380

I've been parking in the garage for a year and finely the antenna gave out. It broke right at the base. So you might want to think about getting a shorter antenna or bend your and tight it to your roof rack. Or another option is to cut a bit of the top.

I might unscrew it when I leave and then put it back on when I get back outside. i'll look into a shorter antenna as well thanks

I have 1/4" clearance according to the sign at the parking garage (6'8").... they hung the sign at 6-6 :huh:I moved it up to 6-8 :mock:
But I went one step further, I measured the low points and found why they say 6-8 (there's a duct hanging over the end of a parking spot)... the rest of the garage is at least 7-0

That said, I ting the stuff at 7-0 with my antennas - be careful, it'll knock the end off the antenna (the round bit).... don't ask me how I know this

As for staring - I live near Seattle, if I don't get cut off by some sanctimonious b***h on my way to work - it's just not a normal day. :wink:

I heard a story about my boss not being able to get in the garage with his new car (this was years ago) because the speed bumps were too high at the entrance. Well he sent an email to building management stating that the speed bumps were too high and that they were liable for any damages to his car and to remove them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and not to tow his new red ferrari parked out front. :) The speed bumps were lowered lol

and yeah i know what you mean about mean looks, older women mostly. whats up with that

joe380

It is that exact same ****ing scenario that has my Gobi sitting in the garage out at the house instead of on top of my truck.

I have MAYBE an inch of clearance in the parking structure for my condo.

Did not realize how close I was till after I put the new 35’s on and snagged a low hanging pipe with back crossbar.

(just some minor scuffing on the crossbar, no damage to the rails fortunately)

Just another reason I am so ready to move out of down town into my house in the country.

get a commuter car and make the drive each day, truthfully i hate it but it's worth having my kids in the suburbs and quiet weekends.

SuperBuickGuy

and yeah i know what you mean about mean looks, older women mostly. whats up with that

they're in heifer carriers - and their husbands have been looking longingly at getting something that restores their manhood. After all, she clipped his manhood with the purchase of that cow carrier, so she's got a personal interest in keeping his manhood on shelf in the pantry. Of course, the cows don't want their men looking at H3s because, if the guy grew a pair and bought an H3, they'd leave her mooing, cud-chewing posterior and get something in a size 2. But maybe I'm just bitter..... :)

joe380

they're in heifer carriers - and their husbands have been looking longingly at getting something that restores their manhood. After all, she clipped his manhood with the purchase of that cow carrier, so she's got a personal interest in keeping his manhood on shelf in the pantry. Of course, the cows don't want their men looking at H3s because, if the guy grew a pair and bought an H3, they'd leave her mooing, cud-chewing posterior and get something in a size 2. But maybe I'm just bitter..... :)

LOL well said,, it all makes sense now ...

Spectre

Nice! I miss parking garages.

With my antennas down I can make it most places, with them up I need to consider what I hit. I installed eye hooks for them to tuck into for when I plan to drive where there maybe wires or bridges. With them up I need about 12 ft clearance so that's hopeless in most places. I just whack the living daylights out of trees.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

joe380

Nice! I miss parking garages.

With my antennas down I can make it most places, with them up I need to consider what I hit. I installed eye hooks for them to tuck into for when I plan to drive where there maybe wires or bridges. With them up I need about 12 ft clearance so that's hopeless in most places. I just whack the living daylights out of trees.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

12ft!? Are they CB antennas and what kind of range do you have?

Big2dabank

Most parking garages I go in here in Central Florida thankfully have a spot for oversized vehicles so I usually get to park with the delivery trucks right on the first floor/ground level.

joe380

Most parking garages I go in here in Central Florida thankfully have a spot for oversized vehicles so I usually get to park with the delivery trucks right on the first floor/ground level.

Now that you mention it, I've seen a back entrance to the parking garage with a higher clearance and I bet it's for oversized vehicles. Problem is, I don't know how many parking spots they have available or if they are reserved or what. I'll go scout it out one day.

Spectre

12ft!? Are they CB antennas and what kind of range do you have?

Dual 5 ft antennas mounted on the roof rack. I had them on my van before the H3. I still haven't had a real road trip with the hummer yet, but my max range in the van was about 10 miles in Illinois (flat land not many obstacles). I've had longer when going through the smokey mountains and sitting up on a ridge over a valley. I think the average on my last trip was around 8 miles depending on trees or other things that got in the way. Plenty of time to slow down for cops.

Last edited:

Chook

A big part of the reason I mount my CB Aerial up front so I can use it as a feeler gauge . At work I used to park on the lowest level of the underground garage but after the Gobi & 35" tyres I can't fit down there anymore. The height was Ok but the last ramp angle meant I would catch the back of the roof rack. So be careful around ramps in carparks as the angle will decrease your clearance.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I remember the days when I could fit in a 6' 6" parking garage...lol

I need to go measure the highest point of my truck but I know its well over 7ft. A stock H3 with a spare tire gobi rack is 6'11" I have 35s so that brings me up to 7'1" and a 4in lift brings me up to 7'5"

I would keep that in mind when doing modifications, for me I havent had issues with my local garages but if I went to the city I would have to be out on the street.

SuperBuickGuy

With my H3 - it needs to fit through a car wash, otherwise, I'd have no time to do SAR 4x4 work... which is why it's not lifted and on 36, bias ply Gumbo mudders.... that said, either the C3 gets more reliable or it's going to be upgraded to something a bit better for DD. That said, there's a part of me that wonders if an S-10 Blazer with a V-8 would fit the bill (2wd)