• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

pcm removal

chad

hey i'm gonna send in my pcm to pcmofnc this week, so my question is, how and what is it that i am removing to mail to them? i have a 2008/w I5

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I don't know exactly on the 08s as you have the separate modules - ECM and whatever that horizontal computer is called.

The ECM/PCM is on the firewall on the passenger side. It's about 4"x5" with three large data cables going into it. Each cable is secured in a two step process: lift the smaller top clip, which then releases the larger clip that locks the cable onto the computer. When re-installing (or installing the loaner) be sure to carefully seat the cable so that pins are not bent in the process.

Reloader

If the 08 I-5 powered H3s have one, you need to send in both the PCM and the TCM (transmission control module). My 08 Alpha does. The trans module only has one broom style connector hooked to it. I learned the hard way as I only sent in a used PCM and then had to acquire a TCM to send them also. Since I was keeping the oe ones for warranty claims , I wasn't out of service waiting for them to get flashed and sent back to me. To get your speedo right the first time you should use a gps to record indicated and actual speed at 20mph , 40mph, and 60mph before removing processors. Be sure to be running the tyre size you will be using so they can set it correctly. My speedo reads perfectly as tested by a gps and the occasional speed indicating signs. Local PD uses me to accuratize their lazer guns. And double on what Alrock said about not bending the pins when reinstalling processors.
And be sure ignition is off and disconnect neg battery terminal before touching processors. Case relearn can be done with most modern scan tools such as the Snapon Verus , Solus or Modis. GMs Tec 2 not required. You can drive it with the sucks to be me light on till the case relearn is performed. Its all worth it in the end IMHO.

rascole

Remove the plastic over flow tank first. Made removing the ECM easier and reduced the risk of breaking the connectors. I would recommend the level 2 shift for the tranny. I have the level 1 and notice no change from stock.

chad

how does it do the relearn? i got to take it somewhere? or will it do it own its own?

rascole

Took a few minutes idling rough in the driveway, after that it idled smooth, I let it run for about 10 minutes before I drove around the block, no issues. Took it on the freeway for a high speed run, no issues.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Chad, make sure you read up on the options for the PCM swap on the pcmofnc.com site and/or email Kelly with questions. It depends on which version of the swap you go through as to whether you need a CASE relearn. Unless you have the equipment you may have to have a dealer do it. There's also a swap where you just need to do a security relearn which you can do at home without any special equipment.

http://www.pcmofnc.com/index.php/faq/tuning-faq/48-security-and-case-relearns

I really liked my PCM tune. I need to do it again as my PCM was flashed when I got a new transmission.

digglesworth

I've talked to Kelly several times and she cleared up any and all of my questions/concerns... She was very helpful and responded very quickly.... I've decided to send my pcm in and get my pcm back for ease of installation... Like alrock said, make sure you do your research.... On all issues.... Are you gonna have the vats delete done?

rascole

I guess due to my my daughters driving habits and my 1 long trip, I have not noticed any gains in power or MPG. The security delete is my concern and have yet to have that issue resurface. If you have $300 burning a hole in your pocket go for it. But for me I am still on the fence.

chad

yea i backed out today, i called them and dont want to pay $92 to go to the dealership and have the case relearned, but i will be moving there in october and when i do i'll just go in person and have it done at the shop, so that way i dont have to have the case relearned. so now its time to put the cash somewhere else, i'm doing a lift kit on my friends jeep and hes gonna get me something for the hummer for my labor.

telemike

Hummer Enthusiast
I love my pcm tune. Much more responsive, shifts so much better and pulls like crazy above 4k . I had my tune done at the PCM of NC shop and the tech adjusted my tune on the fly during test driving.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

chad

i'll get it when i move, i really want it, just dont like giving cash to stealerships!

digglesworth

Why don't you just send your pcm to them and have them flash that one...? If anything needs to be done on install. They give you instructions how to do it... I talked to Kelly about it but can't recall what needed to be done. It wasn't a dealer only case relearn though.....

chad

i called and talked to marshall, and he said there is a very high chance it might need the dealer to relearn it or someone who as the thing to do it, i was gonna send it today but i guess i can wait a couple more months. i'm kinda big on not spending extra money for no reason if i just got to wait and make sure its done good at the shop.

Kelly@PCMofNC

Hey Chad, thanks for your interest. We do also offer a Dashhawk loaner program so that you can do your own relearn without having to go do the dealership! We send out a handheld scan tool that does it, only takes a couple of moments!

Thanks for the positive feedback from the rest of you, we really appreciate it!