• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

M14 vs Mini 14

Ron46

Capt.
Hey guys, I am looking at getting a new rifle, I was looking at either a m14 or mini 14. I was looking to get some input between the two or any other options for a new assault rifle such as ar15, scar, or any others. Keep in mind NJ has stupid and strict gun laws. thanks

Last edited:

Kyle

Hey guys, I am looking at getting a new rifle, I was looking at either a m14 or mini 14. I was looking to get some input between the two or any other options for a new assault rifle. Keep in mind NJ has stupid and strict gun laws. thanks

Are they as strict as california.....? back to guns, i think the m14 would be better, the mini 14 is just small and looks like 10-22 IMHO and the accuracy does suffer. What are you looking to do with the gun?.......long distance target shooting, hunting, etc?

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
M14 shoots the .308 round, is an extremely accurate rifle for a semi-auto and has much longer range and more knockdown power. The Mini-14 shoots the .223 round. The Ruger is accurate out to about 125-150 yards in my experience. The M-14 is accurate out to 1000+ yards with the proper optics. I have never shot at 1000 yards but at 500 yards the M-14 can be a tack driver. I use my Mini-14 and Mini-30 for plinking. For 100 yard and under shooting they can be a good self defense weapon or as Schumer/Bloomberg would say an assault weapon or weapon of mass destruction. .223 ammo is cheaper than .308.
they both are good weapons but I would say they fill totally different roles for me.

Last edited:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
To simplify the answer: the M14 is a precision tool whilst the mini14 is more like a regular discount tool. Caliber is also the big difference as explained by others. The M14 has the potential to be adapted to any form of high level matches/shooting. The mini14 will always be a compromise. Price is also a big factor simply because of the craftsmanship and parts involved in one of the other. It's really up to you to decide how much you want to spend and what you want to use it for. My advice would be the M14 since once you get it, you will probably keep it forever.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

OIF Marinex3

M1S1E-Lg.jpg springfield-armory-socom-ii.jpg personally I would go with the M14 Socom II, a battle rifle is often better than a assault rifle. A good friend of mine who was apart of SOCOM swears by the M14. he was using it in everything from little birds MH-6 to fighting on the ground in Iraq. He told me that the accuracy, reliability, and caliber was F'n great.
he still gives me **** because he was up in a Helo and I was being a ground pounder LOL

Ron46

Capt.
ok thanks guys for the input, I was looking at the m14s, but they are a little out of my price range right now, the couple I was looking at were about 5k. I am going to look for a m4, or a sig556 swat. What would be a good model of the m4 to get? There are a lot of different models from all different companies.

Big2dabank

I have a Windham SRC and have been very impressed with their version of the M4 carbine. It has a flat top rail and same plane gas block rail so you can set it up with the optics and/or back up iron sights of your choice. I replaced the standard M4 hand guard with a Magpul MOE hand guard and hand grip and love the rifle even more. The rifle was just under $800 and with my Reflex sight, back up iron sights, MOE hand guard, I have just under $1,000 into it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk