• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Off Road Build

QC_Hummer

I am looking to make my H3 more off road worthy. I know with cars, there have different stages for build-up. What steps or stages should I take (in order) to make my H3 more off road worthy while remaining street ready?

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Well as most people will suggest... crank the torsion bars. And throw some 35's in either an M/T or aggressive A/T tire.

Then slid plate out the entire bottom meaning ucp, rocksliders, hunner leaf spring hanger skids and shock skids or low profile shock plates.

You can then upgrade your shocks.

And the fun goes on and on

Throw a tow strap in there at some point as well. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Pappibri

Mine is my daily driver and I have 265/75/16 and go offroad every chance I get... Have not had any problems yet.. But you definitely want to get some good UCP and Rock sliders first if you do not have none already, then Hunner skids and larger tires will give you a lil more clearance, but if you go up to 315 expect to lose a lil mpg.. I want to get some just for offroad trips, other than that, as long as it is my daily driver I will not go over 265's or 285's.. Just me... Good luck, and enjoy your rig for what it was designed for...:thumbs:

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
I feel insulted Pappibri, I offer a completely perfect alternative to Hunner SKids and no mention, bah!

LOL, I don't really care that much but here is what I would and as soon as I have the cash I'm doing.

1. Rock Sliders
2. H3 Hummer High Clearance Leaf Spring Mount
3. Solid Aluminum skid plate (currently designing it)
4. Extended Shackles (prices are getting high if you ask me so I'll have inexpensive alternative soon), Level out the suspension by cranking the bolts under there, Put some 35 inch tires on, and finish with getting a professional alignment
5. CB Radio - I'm doing a write up in my sponsor section soon on how I think it should be done
6. Solid Axle Diff cover

After that it's really up to you, but I want to get an Warn Winch with wireless controls and put it in a Defelice bumper and make this combination Hi-lift / CB Antenna mount for the rear door.

Last edited:

bebe

Huh - I didn't see that....LOL the front diff is completely protected by skids and the rear diff is a solid axle, maybe he means something else?:corn:

Schwarttzy

Sponsor

It's a super thick differential cover, you could literately swing a sledge hammer at the differential and not have to worry. When you hold one, it makes those differential guards that bolt on the out side of the cover look completely stupid and pointless in comparison.

bebe

I'm still confused....no one makes a straight axle cover for an AAM760 and the AAM860 is a straight axle. So is this Straight Axle cover supposed to be for the front or the rear?

backcountryislife

I'm still confused....no one makes a straight axle cover for an AAM760 and the AAM860 is a straight axle. So is this Straight Axle cover supposed to be for the front or the rear?

It's a cover for the rear diff... the only straight axle we have on the 3.:huh:

Not sure why folks are harassing schwarttzy for such a benign suggestion... it's a cover for the diff that nearly every offroader I know around here has on their vehicles (makes MORE sense on the front IMO, but most guys around here have them on the rear as well) I had a number of people suggest to put one on my H3, just never got around to it. If you back into a rock when re-positioning or backing down an obstacle, you'll be darn glad to have one. Pretty simple protection for $65.

Some examples of rear diff covers for those that are confused.

images

rear%20diff%20cover.JPG

31228d1301367170-best-rear-diff-cover-titan_diff-new1.jpg

images

images

Maybe I missed something here? :whaa:

oh, and after seeing some of the stupid jeep guys guys hammer the he!! out of their diffs I'd agree the purple cranium ones seem kinda silly & pointless.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Thanks - not sure why he didn't just say HD diff cover for the REAR.

Not giving him a bad time, just couldn't decipher his cryptic speak.

Makes sense, I've not needed one, but then again - I'm not normal :)

well SH**... you're running like 74.5" tires, your diff is shoulder height on me!!! :giggle:

It's the interwbz.. you expect clarity?????? PFFFT!!!

bebe

Right?? Sheesh, I was having brain freeeeze over it. I've only been not-stock for a year, and 5 before that :p

Who makes them?

Last edited:

backcountryislife

The ones that seem to be recommended most are G2, riddler, solid & ARB.

Funny, the first week i had the H3 on a trail a buddy gave me crap about not having a diff protector or cover (granted I was backing up at the time & just about smacked a rock!)

Btw, I decided last month that your sawzall theory is bunk... it's not a mod till the GRINDER comes out! :wink:

reaper

Ok, has ANYONE on this forum EVER had a problem with breaking the stock diff cover? Just wondering. A lot of times we like to spend money on things that bolt to the truck just because... :) I'm just wondering if this is justified for the diff. $60 is pretty darn cheap though, sounds like a good idea, just wondering if it's ever been a real issue.

skeptic

Ok, has ANYONE on this forum EVER had a problem with breaking the stock diff cover? Just wondering. A lot of times we like to spend money on things that bolt to the truck just because... :) I'm just wondering if this is justified for the diff. $60 is pretty darn cheap though, sounds like a good idea, just wondering if it's ever been a real issue.
I think a lot of the stuff we buy and install is "just in case". Pretty low on my want list and not something I'm terribly concerned with, but for as cheap and easy as they are I may get around to buying one someday. I personally have never heard of an issue with this on an H3/H3t, but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea.