• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

06 H3 Trans, Xfer Case and Diff fluid service...TSB?

SedonaBound

Can anyone provide a copy of the GM TSB on filling the transfer case on early 06s s I can can take it along when I take her to the Chevy dealer for service? I assume the automatic trans and diffs will be familiar from their own trucks.

MTUH3

I think there is a sticker on the bottom of the t-case that explains it.

From the service manual

If the VIN is 56TDN13E778100102 or prior proceed to the next step, if not proceed to step

Remove the speed sensor from the transfer case. Refer to Transfer Case Speed Sensor
Replacement.

Add 250 ml (8.45 oz.) of manual transmission and transfer case fluid, GM P/N 88861800, (Canadian P/N 88861801), to the transfer case via the speed sensor hole.
IMPORTANT: A hand pump or equivalent, will be required to perform step

Install the speed sensor to the top of the transfer case and connect the electrical connector.
Tighten: Tighten the speed sensor to 17 N.m (13 lb ft).

I have done this a couple times, no big deal.

cbetts

NERD!!!
This got me thinking a bit. My t-case was replaced with the new model back in 2008. Would the dealerships still add the additional oil? Reason I ask is I have seen the runs in Bishop take out t-cases (my self twice, JRH3T, Portager). I suspect it may have to do with the long, steep climb (20 degrees) up Silver Canyon and not enough oil. Ever since my t-case was replaced, I have not had issues, maybe due to having extra oil inside.

Opinions?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I believe the difference is the fill hole was relocated on newer transfer cases thus removing the need to do the special fill procedure on earlier cases. Considering Portager and JR3T have 2009 or 2010 trucks they have the "extra oil" aka the right amount of oil in the transfer cases. Guess I don't understand the question.

cbetts

NERD!!!
I believe the difference is the fill hole was relocated on newer transfer cases thus removing the need to do the special fill procedure on earlier cases. Considering Portager and JR3T have 2009 or 2010 trucks they have the "extra oil" aka the right amount of oil in the transfer cases. Guess I don't understand the question.

I am thinking that since I have the newer model t-case, it has the correct amount of oil. However, since the "add extra" procedure is based on VIN, the mechanics may be adding additional oil to mine on top of the correct amount, thus making it slightly overfilled.

MTUH3

Possible, but I also wonder how many techs read the service procedure after doing a few. They might just know by inspection if they need to add the extra or not.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Maybe the procedure helped but I suspect it would be more about overheating and eventual failure than lubrication. Extra oil will help a bit with that but I doubt it would be enough to really cool the case and its internals more than the fluid contained in the correct fill.

SedonaBound

Possible, but I also wonder how many techs read the service procedure after doing a few. They might just know by inspection if they need to add the extra or not.
I wonder how many techs actually work on enough early H3s to be aware of the problem. My original Hummer/Cadillac dealer no longer services the trucks they sold. They send them to their co-owned Chevy counterpart. No more white glove Hummer treatment...we're cast into the huddled masses with Colorados and Silverados. We are orphans.

D

Dennis

Can anyone provide a copy of the GM TSB on filling the transfer case on early 06s s I can can take it along when I take her to the Chevy dealer for service? I assume the automatic trans and diffs will be familiar from their own trucks.

Is this what you are looking for?

img001.jpg

D

Dennis

But since Dexron III is no longer available...This is a suitable fluid,

I have it in mine..

MVC-002F-9.jpg

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
The bulletin in question informed the dealer to have the techs check for a green sticker on the t/case of all 2006 H3s. If there was no green sticker, the tech was to add the extra fluid prior to delivering the vehicle. If the t/case had a green sticker, then the case had the extra fluid from the factory. (After the problem was discovered, GM started shipping the H3s with the correct fill level in the t/case.)

The service procedure for ALL 2006 H3s with the original t/case is as shown by MTUH3; except for the VIN breakpoint. The VIN breakpoint is for 07 vehicles since the new design t/case did not hit the vehicles until after 07 production started.

There is a noticeable difference between the two t-cases so an experienced tech will know if extra fluid is required. If the t/case was replaced after the new cases went into production vehicles, it will have the new design case; thus no need for the extra fluid. If t-case replaced prior to the new cases being in production, the H3 will have the old style case and require the extra fluid.

The sticker (or errata sheet) added to the owner's manual may or may not be in it. My 06 did not have the errata sheet and the dealer had not checked the fluid level; basically ignoring the bulletin. And even though I added the errata sheet to the owner's manual, I had a new case put in at the GM tech center so I pulled the sheet.

As for fluid; it requires Dexron III or Dexron IV. There was a mistake in one of the earlier GM service manuals, that made it to the print stage that stated for the use of the manual trans/t-case fluid; however, that was incorrect. AND I AM NOT GOING TO DEBATE IT WITH A CERTAIN SOMEONE. I worked on that project, the information in the service manual and the VIN break for 07 vehicles was due to my work and the work of another service engineer in powertrain for the H3. So I do kind of know what the F I am talking about when it comes to this t/case fluid required. I am also not going to discuss any BS on whether or not Dexron is a good or bad fluid with any backyard mechanics who spread BS around the forums.

You can take the information I am going to show as good information or not, but I have had the dealer drain and fill my t-case twice now and both times the filled it with Dexron VI, so I guess the dealer and I are on the same wave length.

I am adding this information just to help those who would like help. Personally, I could care less if someone wants to fill the t-case with Crisco!

Please note the year of vehicle, the type of fluid stated and don't forget to view the 2012 copyright date on the information. This is cut and pasted from the latest GM DVD service information available.

Forgot to add. The bulletin is no longer available for publication since it pertained to 06 vehicles only. Also, the failure with a t-case not filled to the correct level was a fork problem with the vehicle was driven in 4-wheel low. If the H3 is (was) never driven, or rarely driven in 4-low, chances are no failures would occur. The failures that sparked the re-design of the case and the additional fluid was from failures in the original H3 test fleet vehicles. Very few customer vehicles were ever affected.

tcasefluid.jpg

Last edited:

MTUH3

F5, good to hear from you again. I have been away from the forum for a while.

I was told, correctly or incorrectly, that it is always OK to put a higher Dextron level into a vehicle that was speced for a lower level. For example, if a vehicle was built for / with Dextron 3, it is ok to put Dextron 4, 5 or 6 in.

What are your thoughts?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
That was one of the best explanations of the MT fluid vs. Dex that I've seen in this debate, whether here or on any other forum. Maybe it existed before but I've not seen such an indepth review as to why MT appeared in some owners manuals. As always, its up to the reader to choose his own direction from what he reads.