• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

4l60-e

Chook

Just wondering if our H3 Automatic Transmission is the same as other GM 4L60-E ?? About to do service + mods to mine and wondered do I have to get H3 specific parts or will any GM 4L60-E part fit ??

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I've not heard of any H3 specific parts in the trans, except maybe the trans pan which is clearanced for the prop shaft.

Chook

Thanks Everyone............Upgrades needed mainly for towing.......... Was thinking since I would have to take the pan off I would replace it with a deeper one with a drain plug that way I could change the fluid between filter changes. Sound like the filter is the same for all 4l60E also. I don't know that I would need a pan with cooling since with my new upgraded cooler I need to drive 10 miles before it gets to 150f (with the fan kicking in @ 180f it has never gone above 190f so far).

bebe

Actually the there are two different filters - but, I don't remember which one fits - but they are cheap - buy both and take the other one back....that's what I did.

There are two trans styles too with bell housing or with the bolt on style, Max would know but I think 2004 and up are all the bolt on bell housing style, could have been application based...I can't remember.

Last edited:

LEEEZARD7

i have read some say it has the 60, some say it has the 65. the 65 has hardened shafts and a 5 gear planetary. has anyone here personally been inside of one and know for sure?

Ordieh

The 2009 CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION definitely has the 4L60 E and the pan is not the only unique part! Just try to find a valve body #24237219 . It appears that GM has discontinued the part. Homer has been on the lift for going on two weeks and no solution so far. GM get in gear and make the part available!

Ordieh

Forgot to mention.......there is a difference from '08 to 'o9. The valve body is different.......'09 doesn't have external manifold valve!

MaxPF

AGNTSA
The 2009 CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION definitely has the 4L60 E and the pan is not the only unique part! Just try to find a valve body #24237219 . It appears that GM has discontinued the part. Homer has been on the lift for going on two weeks and no solution so far. GM get in gear and make the part available!

What is wrong with the VB that was in the trans? I have completely rebuilt 60e valve bodies, including sleeving all the worn spool valve bores. Unless the VB is broken in half or something it should be rebuildable.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
U guys know tread is 5 years old?

Saying that I upgraded mine about a year ago and didn't have any issues getting parts.