• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Inner tie rod thread size

atvspeed4

We are working on building custom tierods for my 2006 that use a larger outer tierod that allows a few more degrees of travel and a 3/4" heim inner with a custom clevis mount. Does anyone know off hand what the thread size is for the inner tierod that threads into the steering rack?

Thanks

atvspeed4

That would be great! Our tie rods are getting harder and harder to find and I like the idea of a outer true tierod end to be used for the h3, especially one that uses a larger joint and larger threaded shaft.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Im sure we would all like an upgrade from stock. Hunner has upgraded tie rods and did a lot of research and measuring. From your description yours will be different then his but he should still have answers. Hopefully he will chime in soon.

atvspeed4

His Bullet proof tierods are awesome but just are not the route I want to go. I found out that the colorados came in either a 16mm or 18mm thread size for the rack and pinion.

Hunner

You want the thread size that screws into the rack end?

So you think the trucks had 16 & 18 mm threaded inner ends? Do they use the same rack as the H3? That sounds like there would be two different racks to have enlarged the rack piece to fit a different size threaded rod connection end.
The H3 started with 14mm diameter tie rods and changed to 16mm but that inner connection is the same size so it will fit the one size rack that came on all of them from 06 to end of life for the H3.
You will have to pull them off any way if you are designing a new type of tie rod and check the size and thread pitch of that end then you will know for sure.

Last edited:

atvspeed4

I was reading about the heim conversions guys were doing on the colorados, not sure if it was a year cut off or model change z28 vs z71 etc but they found a different size thread on the part that threads into the rack and also a difference in diameter at the end of the rack that required them to have different heim adapters machined. I was just curious if anyone found a difference in the different years of the H3. I knew of the change from 14mm to 16mm for the thickness of the tierod but was not sure if there were any differences in the rack.

Hunner

I had my BP tie rods on my 06 H3 and the same ones are now on my 08 Alpha H3 if that helps. The custom made, 10.9 grade, same size bolt that holds my clevis was used on both. (and despite some people thinking the Heims would wear out fast I have over 60,00 miles now on mine between the two vehicles and they can be swiveled by hand a little now but still tight.) So using the spherical rod ends from the aerospace industry sees to have worked. It is my understanding when the Alpha was going to come out they started supplying the 16mm for all models, (rather than admit the 14mm were too small?) at one point it was really hard to find any 14mm. Then when there were some tie rods in stock they were 16mm. I have not checked in several years if anyone has any 14mm parts. If they are no longer stocked that would require replacing both inner and outer to change over if either half were damaged.
Thanks I will check out that link, I'm not up to speed on those trucks and what they use.

Last edited:

Hunner

I have posted this before, but even though they are 16mm the inner end is the same size. TINY!
7896.jpg

It may still have both part numbers in the look up but crosses over when they order. I can ask my friendly parts guy to let me look at that. Since he is at a GMC dealer I will also just for grins lookup those racks and see whats up with that. I have my own coffee mug there!
The numbers on our H3 complete rack assembly changed several times also but after they were supplied with 16mm that has been the only change I know of.

Last edited:

Hunner

But, GM is supposed to supply parts for 10 years!!! Uh huh.
I had to pickup some hardware at the nut and bolt place so I took one in for a second opinion on the size you wanted.

The lock nut that goes between the inner and outer will also screw on the inner that connects to the rack on a 16mm.
16 x 1.5 but you should check that as well at some point.

The inner connection to the rack on the 14mm is the same BUT of course the tie rod threads that connect to the outer are 14mm.
So, there you are you see.

In the interest of science if you want some other measurements with scaled pictures post up here so maybe search will lead others willing to contribute to this thread.
You might want to remove one anyway before going forward as there are some other interesting design parameters you may discover.

Last edited:

atvspeed4

Small update, we are making some progress here. I have a company that is willing to make custom inner tie rod end joints that are a similar style to the factory one but are fully rebuildable and use a machined solid 4140 cup and massive 7/8" stud on the adjuster side. Once I get the specifics I can give more details. We will have this joint as the inner pivot and have a option of a heim outer or a off the shelf 98 f250 light duty outer (same taper size already test fit). A custom machined solid bar stock adjuster sleeve will be included.