• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Switch cluster for 4wd

Hunner

My disclaimer, I don't claim to know all about this but here at the Hunner Hummer Institute or Arky Tecknolo-G, we are compiling as much common sense deductions of these things as we can.
I have in my possession all three of these clusters.

Just some images and info for reference of the cluster on the dash. On an automatic, engage emergency brake and turn the key on so you can pull the gear shift back away from the dash. I think most know you wet your fingers and stick them in the two 12v outlets, and oh wait that's not it, just stick um in there and sort of lift up and out firmly. STOP when it comes loose and check for plugs so you know where they go before pulling any more if you need to.
I found there are four kinds of clusters, Base with no locker, adventure/offroad with rear locker, and the same only with both lockers. On the one with both the stabiltrac button moves down by the 12v outlets in one of those hole next to them.
Mine is an Alpha Offroad and in the center bigger area it says "Passenger Side Airbag" there are also lighted symbols. Later clusters I have found do not have that writing but do have the lighted symbols.
They all have the wavy lines button for stabiltrac.
There is also a skinny "N" on the divider between 4w hi and 4w lock that indicates the transfer case is in neutral which can be used for towing. You have to use the emergency brake to hold the vehicle stationary in this mode as it will not matter on an auto where the shifter is.
Some one with a manual shift will have to state if that is also the case, but I think that may work the same way?

I see several ways to interpret the "VIN specific" issue. This is what I have concluded, for whatever that is worth?:shifty:
The VIN would reveal what cluster your vehicle would require based on what functions your particular vehicle is capable of.
There is not one cluster for each VIN but rather for each similiar equipped vehicle.

"assembled in China" on the back side, molded into the plastic.
The early ones up to my 2008 at least are 16 pin connections on the back thru one modular plug.
The newer ones with dual lockers that I have for newer units have 18 pins.
The buttons are just buttons, they contact spring loaded rubber coated switches on the circuit board. So they are push once, push again to send a signal voltage for that function to the brain.

My original idea of coming off the correct pins for an added front locker and wiring in a relay to take the load might work but would need a safety switch to allow that to only function when I intend for it to might be doable. But I guess except for cosmetics a protected high quality switch like Eaton includes in aftermarket sales units would be easier for some. I would still want a protection switch to prevent accidental engagement. Wired this way will not include the control device protection of only locking in low and unlocking at speed.
I had one with a red flip up cover on my old Triumph Tr2 because reverse and 1st gear were the same lay gear and could cause tranny failure if the overdrive was engaged while in reverse. I also had a big red light on the dash!
Anyway, I see no IC chips or any programming ability in these clusters. There are tiny led's and larger led's to illuminate the selector symbols.
I bought a single locker cluster at random no vin given and have plugged it into my H3 and all functions work.
Feel free to correct or add any hands on info you may have to this post.

Mine in my 08 Alpha H3
DAH_3401.jpg

spares and research units
3390.jpg

My spare single locker, switch side of circuit board. The tiny white things are led's, the small black round things are the switches. I don't believe these are designed to carry a load just trigger the next thing in line that will. This also shows the 16 pin connector and the different shape and size.
singleswitches.jpg

back side of circuit board with large led's here I used it to support the button panel.
3415.jpg

dual locker cluster showing 18 pin connection. Shape coded so the 16 pin would not fit.
3405.jpg

Last edited:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Great post Hunner. Here's another question slightly off topic. I have an 08 Adventure (rear locker only). Can I use a non adventure switch panel? Are they both 16 pin configuration? I run my lockers off the ARB switches in the center console, so I want to clean up the dash. This is not a priority mod. I really don't want to buy a switch panel, so if anyone wants to trade, I'm game.

Last edited:

Hunner

I don't have one of those so I don't know for sure, yet. Gotta friend I think is making a deal on a non-adventure and if he gets it we will find out.
I think that what the difference on the front will be from pictures I have seen is that the non-adventure without locker will just have a longer air bag indicator panel.
Somebody with one might contribute a picture but I will look for an image I may have.
The next question will be what they did about the plug in the harness and the rear connection on that cluster. Could be like in some other cases it was the same to keep parts inventories more simple but that sounds too smart. Heck I dunno, let's find out. It might just have 14 pins and a shape coded plug on the harness and the cluster.
Found it but no rear shot.
H3basenolocker.jpg

I will look on my maintenance cd when I get time and see if it shows the pin config.

Last edited:

Hunner

I'm not making much interest on what little money I have managed to put back, gold is too heavy and I cannot figure out how to use it on my H3, so investing in H3 parts seems the right way to go. I have informed my daughter that is her inheritance. I told her to search Ebay for the going price in the future, waaay in the future I hope, then give you guys that are still kicking and have a H3/T still going, a chance at what there is in the shop attic or what I call the Hunner Hummer Museum.:shifty:
Might make an episode of Pickers just on that.:giggle:

davidh3

I bought a switch cluster with both lockers button for my 09 h3 lux.After reading this post, I was wondering where I should put the off traction button. Not only that, I think if I just plug the new switch, it definitely will not work. >.

Hunner

The H3's that came with both lockers moved the traction button down to one of those plugged round holes to the left of the 12v plugs, but of course is wired for that.
I have not searched for how that is wired or how it is triggered. It probably has a wire going to the controller.
If your H3 has both lockers now it should work. Not sure what you have or why you got a new cluster from what you said.
What did you mean if you just plug the new switch? The traction switch?
You lost me somewhere.
Need more info. Our source for some of that is no longer on here, unfortunately, but given enough time I might can look for that.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
dual locker cluster showing 18 pin connection. Shape coded so the 16 pin would not fit.
3405.jpg

Hunner,
Do you still have the dual locker switch panel? If so, would you mind checking and posting the GM part # that's on the bar code sticker. Thank you sir.

Hunner

Well I went to the box where I thought they were but only found the single locker one. Hmmm I will look some more.
Don't think I sold it thinking I would use it somehow in the future.

Hunner

Lets try this, the single locker is 301136c80640024

I blew up a file image of the dual and I get 302770a82461256

I googled it and did not get it to pull up. Maybe you can try searching for it.