Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Low Profile
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 80 Times in 37 Posts

    Oil pressure light

    I've read a bunch of stuff on this, but wanted to see if there was any new wisdom.

    2006 H3. I've had the issue before where you drive for a while (like on the highway) and when you exit and stop you get the oil light. I swapped out the oil pressure sender almost a year ago and that problem went away. Recently I've started getting the light coming on at random times, not just while coming to a stop. I changed the oil this past weekend and it's still doing it. I'm using Valvoline high mileage 5w30 and a PurolatorONE filter. Do you think the sender may be bad again? The replacement I used was an ACDelco. I've read about maybe going with a higher weight oil as well. Any thoughts on this? Everything else seems normal. No new noises, temp is good, etc.

  2. #2
    Mud Terrain
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    960
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 185 Times in 129 Posts
    I'd try a new sensor first since you're not having any other issues.

  3. #3
    Bogger
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Qatar
    Posts
    1,751
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked 291 Times in 246 Posts
    If you already changed the sensor, have you changed the oil and filter?
    If yes try an engine oil flush, if lt doesnt work, try seafoam
    I had a similar issue, whenever oil would get hot enough the light comes on. Had the Engine out and opened and turned out there is a small bypass valve inside it that is clogged. Its job was to let oil bypass something when its cold and once the engine oil was hot it wasnt doing its job anymore.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    06 H3, Birch White, Lux , Cooper AT3 35s, Borla Performance Cat-back, Bilsteins front w/ 1/2" extended stops, Hunner sleeve, Air Doc w/ K&N filter, Oem Roof lights, 55W HID Headlights and 35W Fog lights.

    09 H3 V8, LS376/480 Conversion, 3000 stall, Arctic Silver, 35s, XD Rockstar Wheels 17x8 Front 17x9 Rear, OEM Sliders, 40K External Trans Cooler, Bilstein 5160s front 5100 rear, O.D. Steering Bracket, Daystar 1" Body Lift, Borla Performance Cat-Back, custom intake pipe & K&N filter, Custom PCM tune, Pioneer DVD unit, Aurora 40" LED Light Bar, 50 W HID Headlights

  4. #4
    Low Profile
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 80 Times in 37 Posts
    I went ahead and ordered a new sensor this morning.

    I did just change the oil and filter three days ago. I'm familiar with seafoam, but have never used it.

  5. #5
    Bald Tire
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I used sea foam on my last oil change and it reduced some valve train noise. Thought that perhaps the hydraulic lifters were a little gunked up and they were. When I drained the oil after running the motor with the sea foam for a while there was noticible amount of carbon deposits and stuff that were on the bottom of my drain pan. Currently have 160,000 miles on the motor.

    Also, Iíve been running full synthetic for the past few months and that is a decent cleaner in itself. I would try sea foam and see if that helps the valve that amrg is talking about.

  6. #6
    Bogger
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bellflower, CA
    Posts
    1,781
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked 377 Times in 265 Posts
    Before you spend money on products, first find out what your oil pressure is. If it is low then no off the shelf product is going to fix it (except a bad-aid fix using higher wieght oil).
    There is a plug located next to the sending unit that you can plumb up a pressure gauge to. I don't know the thread size, or you can use the sending unit tap.
    2006 H3 Adventure & modified Rancho with SOA

  7. #7
    Bogger
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Qatar
    Posts
    1,751
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked 291 Times in 246 Posts
    I used full synthetic since day one and did oil change every 6K but the oil always turned very dark. Those engines seem to run hot oil wise.

    I forgot to add, check the oil pickup screen, some gunk on it can easily block it and give pressure issues.

    Btw with the engine out and opened, the bearings where still in great condition and so was the oil pump (was expecting to rebuild it)

    Gd luck
    06 H3, Birch White, Lux , Cooper AT3 35s, Borla Performance Cat-back, Bilsteins front w/ 1/2" extended stops, Hunner sleeve, Air Doc w/ K&N filter, Oem Roof lights, 55W HID Headlights and 35W Fog lights.

    09 H3 V8, LS376/480 Conversion, 3000 stall, Arctic Silver, 35s, XD Rockstar Wheels 17x8 Front 17x9 Rear, OEM Sliders, 40K External Trans Cooler, Bilstein 5160s front 5100 rear, O.D. Steering Bracket, Daystar 1" Body Lift, Borla Performance Cat-Back, custom intake pipe & K&N filter, Custom PCM tune, Pioneer DVD unit, Aurora 40" LED Light Bar, 50 W HID Headlights

  8. #8
    Low Profile
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 80 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rascole View Post
    Before you spend money on products, first find out what your oil pressure is. If it is low then no off the shelf product is going to fix it (except a bad-aid fix using higher wieght oil).
    There is a plug located next to the sending unit that you can plumb up a pressure gauge to. I don't know the thread size, or you can use the sending unit tap.
    I want to figure this out too. I see references to it, but I haven't seen where someone was actually able to accomplish installing a mechanical gauge. I'll report back what I find.

  9. #9
    El Diablo
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Scottsdale
    Posts
    8,748
    Thanks
    499
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,547 Posts
    I had the same issue and for some reason the second sensor, one year later, resolved the issue. Haven't had the light come back on.

  10. #10
    Bald Tire
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I case you want to do the oil pressure gauge installed, I just did mine this winter. Not sure if my new status (low posts) on this forum will allow me to post links yet, but Ill post the descriptions.

    Its not that hard to install an oil pressure gauge in the H3 I5, easier than I thought it would actually. There is a plug (with a torx or allen head) just above the oil filter on the front of the engine. That plug is threaded and it it is in the oil pressure channel. You just need a gauge and adapter. I got mine on Amazon

    1. Plug: LS Engine Swap M16 1.5 Adapter to 1/8 NPT Oil Pressure Sensor LS1 LSX LS3 Gauge 551172

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    2. Gauge. You can use what you want, but this worked for me.
    GlowShift Tinted 7 Color 100 PSI Oil Pressure Gauge Kit - Includes Electronic Sensor - Black Dial - Smoked Lens - For Car & Truck - 2-1/16" 52mm

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    3. A holder that fits the gauge.

    All you have to do is remove the plug, install the adapter (with a little silicone), screw in the sensor that comes with the gauge into the adapter, route your wires, add power, and profit.

    Its been working well for me for about 6 months. This picture is from another forum (so whoever made it you get credit) The sensor with the blue coiled wire is an aftermarket oil pressure sensor. the torx bolt is where the brass 90 degree elbow is. You do not need the elbow if you use the gauge i linked, its sits low enough in that it doesnt rub against anything.

    Name:  capture_e5b009de22f729fa865a350bace936380f918f9a (1).png
Views: 55
Size:  598.3 KB
    Last edited by gamma195; 11-02-2018 at 08:45 AM.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to gamma195 For This Useful Post:

    lowtrac (11-02-2018)

  12. #11
    Low Profile
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 80 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alrock View Post
    I had the same issue and for some reason the second sensor, one year later, resolved the issue. Haven't had the light come back on.
    The new sensor came in yesterday, but I havenít had the light come on since Wednesday morning. Iím going to hold off on replacing it for now. Weíll see how it goes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #12
    Low Profile
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 80 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gamma195 View Post
    I case you want to do the oil pressure gauge installed, I just did mine this winter. Not sure if my new status (low posts) on this forum will allow me to post links yet, but Ill post the descriptions.

    Its not that hard to install an oil pressure gauge in the H3 I5, easier than I thought it would actually. There is a plug (with a torx or allen head) just above the oil filter on the front of the engine. That plug is threaded and it it is in the oil pressure channel. You just need a gauge and adapter. I got mine on Amazon

    1. Plug: LS Engine Swap M16 1.5 Adapter to 1/8 NPT Oil Pressure Sensor LS1 LSX LS3 Gauge 551172

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    2. Gauge. You can use what you want, but this worked for me.
    GlowShift Tinted 7 Color 100 PSI Oil Pressure Gauge Kit - Includes Electronic Sensor - Black Dial - Smoked Lens - For Car & Truck - 2-1/16" 52mm

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    3. A holder that fits the gauge.

    All you have to do is remove the plug, install the adapter (with a little silicone), screw in the sensor that comes with the gauge into the adapter, route your wires, add power, and profit.

    Its been working well for me for about 6 months. This picture is from another forum (so whoever made it you get credit) The sensor with the blue coiled wire is an aftermarket oil pressure sensor. the torx bolt is where the brass 90 degree elbow is. You do not need the elbow if you use the gauge i linked, its sits low enough in that it doesnt rub against anything.

    Name:  capture_e5b009de22f729fa865a350bace936380f918f9a (1).png
Views: 55
Size:  598.3 KB
    This is great info. I appreciate you sharing it.

    Iíll definitely do that if/when the issue comes up again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


 

Similar Threads

  1. Low oil pressure h2 05
    By maurizio86 in forum HUMMER H2 2003-2009
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2018, 02:55 AM
  2. H3 Oil Pressure Switch
    By the_real_hacksaw in forum HUMMER H3 2006-2010; H3T 2009-2010
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-04-2018, 10:40 AM
  3. Oil filter pressure release valve/Low oil pressure light
    By GossamerH2 in forum HUMMER H3 2006-2010; H3T 2009-2010
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-10-2016, 01:15 AM
  4. OIL pressure gauge
    By woodwardsh3 in forum HUMMER H3 2006-2010; H3T 2009-2010
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2016, 10:40 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Logout