• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 ranch’s lift info

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I figured I would give you guys an update/some info regarding the H3 rancho lift. I stopped by the rancho booth at the off road expo and asked about the lift. I was sent to another guy and he seemed like the head honcho. I didn’t catch his name but he said they have to make 1000 knuckles at a time and that is the issue/expensive part. They did an 1000 unit run and it took them years to blow through the inventory.

He said he loved that kit and he’s always getting people asking about bringing it back. At this point I would say keep bugging rancho. He never said there are no plans to bring it back but not at this moment. I did mention that it took a while to blow through kits due to the fact that the vehicle was new and people weren’t willing to modify them like they do now. He agreed to that point.

While I have no use for a rancho lift at this point since all my factory parts are off in a dumpster somewhere I still loved that kit and have nothing but positive things to say about it. I think it’s a viable option and greatly increases off road prowess. I think it’s possible to see it’s return but it won’t be tomorrow. Keep politely bugging rancho!

Lastly, if they ever do bring it back try to be ready to jump on it! Nothing is more frustrating for a manufacturer to listen to their customers and then they don’t take action when the manufacturer did....

Acer4LO

Thanks for bringing this up! I feel the same way. Even though I have rancho kit now, and will soon be getting rid of it, I still have a large interest in trying to get this kit to return. I know that not everybody has the ability to do what you have done Chris and others like Panzer, 4Speed, Recon, etc have did to their rigs. The rancho kit is just a perfect solution for the guy that wants bigger tires and lift but doesn’t have the money or tools to do a solid axle swap. I just really hate that most people with out the kit are stuck with a max tire size of 35s. Don't get me wrong 35s are okay, but they are still a smaller tire size. I would love to see more people running 37s or even 38s . One idea of I am thinking of is to start some sort of petition or something. If enough people sign it, we can present it to Rancho to show that there is a actual numerical number of people interested in the kit. I do agree with you that not a lot of people were buying the kit back when the H3 first came out because of the higher sticker price. Today however H3s are getting a lot cheaper. I5s can go from 8K to 14K while Alphas can go from 12K to 20k. Right now, I think there is a big group of people that are looking for an offroad SUV that isn’t brand new, but isn’t 20+ years old, and that is daily drivable. I think the obvious choice that most people think of is the Jeep Wrangler but the problem is that prices start a 15K+ because everyone wants them. There is also the FJ cruiser, but some get scared away because it does not the traditional 4 door setup and both of these are still more expensive than an H3. If the kit became available again I am thinking about buying one just to hold onto lol.

woodwardsh3

May be see if there willing to do a group buy if there is enough interest. And take deposits, As far as castings try a different supplier to see if a smaller run is feasible.
Just a thought.

2010H3TAlpha

FYI a buddy of mine built a custom lift for his Colorado to fit 38s. He's using as many off-the-shelf parts as he can, including an upgraded diff, 2500HD axles, H3 lower A-arms, custom upper A-arms, custom oversize tie-rods and even converted it to coilovers. He's kicking around an idea about doing something similar on my truck for a larger production run. Here's the thread on 355 Nation:

https://www.355nation.net/forum/pro...sa-supercharged-6-0-6l80e-build-thread-5.html

Last edited:

Acer4LO

FYI a buddy of mine built a custom lift for his Colorado to fit 38s. He's using as many off-the-shelf parts as he can, including an upgraded diff, 2500HD axles, H3 lower A-arms, custom upper A-arms, custom oversize tie-rods and even converted it to coilovers. He's kicking around an idea about doing something similar on my truck for a larger production run. Here's the thread on 355 Nation:

https://www.355nation.net/forum/pro...sa-supercharged-6-0-6l80e-build-thread-5.html

This is incredible! I would definitely tell him that there is a lot of interest out there for a lift kit on the H3. His Colorado looks awesome too! It almost looks like one of those North Pole Expedition vehicles.

amrg

Been following his build thread for a very long time! Very nice build and extremely involved!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

H3TDave

It would be sweet if they did a limited run on kits for h3/h3t but most likely I would be strapped for cash and miss out. But at the first hint of it possibly happening I would start liquidating stuff to try and make it happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I have been following his thread as well. The problem is for lift it’s still using a rancho lift which is something we don’t have.

2010H3TAlpha

I have been following his thread as well. The problem is for lift it’s still using a rancho lift which is something we don’t have.

Not sure I follow, which part are you referring to? Let me know and I can ask him his thoughts.

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I believe he runs a rancho lift even with the modifications he has so the rancho lift is still somewhat required for us to do something similar

atvspeed4

I believe he runs a rancho lift even with the modifications he has so the rancho lift is still somewhat required for us to do something similar
He isn't using rancho anymore but I can tell you from an engineer standpoint the geometry is waaaay out of where it needs to be. I've been following the build but we have been tinkering with 2500 knuckles and the h3 suspension in CAD for a couple of years now and know it's not going to work without building custom upper control arm mounts (requires welding) to move the pivot points and also moving the rack. Next issue is width, when you relocate the upper control arm mounts on the H3 which has a totally different frame up front you need to go out wider to clear frame when you lower the arm to try and get the right geometry for the full size knuckle which has very different pivot point locations than stock H3. Don't get me wrong it's a cool setup and totally stick things together but for a company to go through the federal testing for lift kits and go to market things need to be spot on which is why we never went forwards with a kit to do that.

4speedfunk

Regardless of the design, all roads lead to the same outcome. There simply isn’t enough of a market to justify a production run. I know this first hand. I have access to all sorts of resources to build anything you can imagine. I have the training. I have the passion. I have the time. But what I don’t have is profit. No matter how I crunch numbers and cut costs, I cannot make parts for a reasonable cost. And If I cannot do it...Rancho, Smittybilt, etc. certainly cannot.

Take the time you would spend writing letters and begging companies to make parts...and start cutting & fabbing in your own garage. It’s not what we all want to hear but that’s reality.

5gn-h3t

Amen. I have the ability and insanity to make the knuckles from scratch. I do not have the knowledge to make sure that the geometry is correct. If anyone is willing and able, I can make you a set of lift knuckles if you can help me get the geometry correct. I really wanted to get my hands on a set of a Rancho knuckles so I could copy them but so far that has just been a dream.

fanugy

I think the Envoy knuckle may be the way to go- it is 7” taller, but you wouldn’t need the 1-1/2 or 2” body lift to fit 38’s.

I’m buying the AEV 3” lift for my 18 ram 2500. I’m interested in what they have done to keep the geometry and steering where it needs to be (at least that’s the claim at aev-conversions.com). Maybe it transfers to he H3.

Oh, I also bought an Atlas lift...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fanugy

How in-depth did your research go with the envoy knuckle?

Not deep. Bought one off eBay (and a CTS knuckle). Both look like they could work. Held them up when replacing half shafts. I m tracked down another lift and hope to tear into it next few weeks and can photo and hold up differences among each- I need to take things apart to get an idea of what I am looking at. Need to tear that lift apart (think it’s pro comp lift) for better understanding of principles and hope installing a lift from AEV will open my mind a bit.

Anyone in greater Phoenix area is welcome to come around and look and prod when we get going or even beforehand. Just shoot me a message.

Also- on a lift note, bought an 18 2500HD duraMax Denali for guy at work. Anyone know much about these? Can I adjust torsion arms to level? Dealership tried to sell me keys and new torsion bars and I thought how offended this entire group would be... I need to dig into their forums and see what’s there

5gn-h3t

Crank them up and see what you get.

With just a quick look, I think the envoy knuckle will interfere with tire/rim. Ever get a chance to throw a wheel bearing/rotor/rim on it?

fanugy

I have not but will be able to- I held them up to visual check at one point, but it’s been a few months. I will post some photos here soon