• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Turbo..?

Somethingbigandorange

I read a lot of stuff about the gutless 3.5, and the more I drive it the more I agree. I love everything else about this rig, though, so I understand the ‘search for more power’. My question is: why not turbocharge? You don’t have to get crazy with the boost or make significant mods to make respectable power. I’m not talking hot rod time so much as not being a lead-ass. Are emissions a problem?

DFW Spartan

Just my opinion, but If you intend to wheel your rig, a supercharger would be a better option, due to the boost lag (the time it takes the engines exhaust gases to spool up the turbine to provide the forced air) associated with the turbo. A supercharger is belt driven, which means that it spools up with your engine revving, giving you instant boost.

That said, neither of the above options are going to be cheap ($3000 - $6000+). Trading up to an Alpha would probably be more cost effective and reliable. If it were me, I'd do an air intake, CAT back exhaust, PCM Tune, and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

amrg

DFW Spartan is right on the money!
Plus, the 3.5L doesn't handle boost well and an engine rebuild will become necessary!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

EndeavoredH3

Over the past couple of months I’ve added an Air doc intake, PCM tune, and deleted the stock muffler. Very noticeable Increase in performance. With all 3

Somethingbigandorange

I found a kit for the Colorado 3.5. Does anyone know the emissions rules (I’m in Phoenix)?

As as for the other suggestions, Do the PCM tunes affect ability to pass emissions? I already have exhaust mods.

amrg

Depends on how you tune the truck but realistically speaking a pcm tune shouldnt hurt emissions by much. You would need to add alot of fueling to get the truck to run really rich at idle before you would hit emissions threshold
Deleting a cat converter will have a huge effect on emissions though

rascole

V8 power from an I5? Not worth the hassle or money. I have the 3.5 and it gets me where I want to go, a little slower than a V8 but we don't drive 1/4 mile at a time. If more is what you want take the $6000 sell your 3 and buy a Alpha. Headache free HP.

amrg

Rascole is right on the money!
V8 Power and torque and if you're not happy there are a million 6.0 litre engines laying around you can swap in for minimal cost (to the alpha)

JPaul

I know the 355Nation guys have done turbo's and superchargers (there used to be a kit for the H3), but when it came to the H3's themselves, everyone that I have seen turbo or supercharge ends up blowing the motor several times. Probably why the supercharger kit died out, not many people could keep the motor alive for very long. Our trucks are just a good deal heavier than a Colorado or Canyon, and that puts additional strain on everything. It's probably why the 355 guys can get theirs tuned and working, while the H3's end up throwing a rod or something.

If you want reliable power, just work towards a V8 swap or find an Alpha, they're starting to come down in price and deals can be found. That's what I did anyway.