• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Ticking noise at idle (video)

Paranormal

Does the ticking go away after the truck warms up. I had a very similar tick that was only noticeable when the truck was cold and first started. The passenger side, rear most exhaust manifold bolt is known to snap. I had to change mine out and while there, I swapped the manifold. P.I.A.

BlueEngineer

The description said that the ticking noise is not there for cold starts. Only when the engine is warmed up. Is that the same for you?

BlueEngineer

Where do you get the description from? I 'm replying to the question posted here

i should have clarified. I’m sorry. That was directed to the OP. In the description in the YouTube video that he linked it says that the problem can not be heard when it’s a cold start. But when the h3 has been warmed up it is present. I was just wondering if that is the same for the op.

Paranormal

i should have clarified. I’m sorry. That was directed to the OP. In the description in the YouTube video that he linked it says that the problem can not be heard when it’s a cold start. But when the h3 has been warmed up it is present. I was just wondering if that is the same for the op.
No problem. Based my response on my personal experience with a cold motor. Ticking sounded the same, unknown what the circumstances are with the OP.

EndeavoredH3

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5t96mk9lcU8

Not my video but sounds just like mine. Any help would be appreciated. I have searched and found that a lifter may be the issue. Any thoughts?

This is my video, I’ve since put on 2,000 miles since I posted it. I’ve switched to full synthetic motor oil and has done nothing to reduce the noise. Didn’t think it would anyway. I’m taking a trip home this weekend and plan on running seafoam through the crankcase to see if it helps any when I get back. I’ll keep this thread updated.

I’ve had a few people tell me that there’s a partially clogged lifter, others tell me it’s just traditional GM motors reaching old age.

EndeavoredH3

Does the ticking go away after the truck warms up. I had a very similar tick that was only noticeable when the truck was cold and first started. The passenger side, rear most exhaust manifold bolt is known to snap. I had to change mine out and while there, I swapped the manifold. P.I.A.

The ticking is more pronounced when the engine is warm and at idle.

However I do have a noise during a winter cold start, somewhat of a rattling noise. That video is on my same channel if you want to check that one out too.

JPaul

I'd get a mechanic's stethoscope and put it on the valve cover and a few other spots around the engine to see if you can hear where it's coming from. Sounds a bit like lifter tick. Not sure though with the noise from the injectors in there as well. Might also be caused by the camshaft solenoid? Not too sure on that one but there's been a few discussions about that part on here.

EndeavoredH3

Alright quick update:

I added sea foam to the crankcase 171 miles ago to the tee. The can calls for driving for 100-300 miles and then do an oil change. So far I have noticed the engine being a bit quieter, however the tick is still there and still loud enough to notice.

Also, I have an exhaust leak at the manifold. It seems that there are no bolts sheared off and only a crack (Apparently these manifolds are known to be a PITA). I plan on taking it to a shop to see how much they can do it for, currently way too swamped with school to even consider myself replacing the manifold right now. And it's supposed to snow next week :no:. If i decide to take it to a shop I was going to have them give me a professional opinion on the leak, cause why not.

SlcHummer

My 06 has this same noise which I believe to be lifters. I also recently replaced a cracked exhaust manifold and 3 broken bolts, so I'm familiar with that issue and its sounds and this is not that.

I've also have been told frequently by friends that what I'm hearing is lifters and common with age in GM vehicles, although none of them are at all familiar with H3's. If true and nothing to worry about then great, my rig has 154k miles so it would make sense. However if there is anything I can do to help prolong the live of my motor I would love to be educated by someone :).

I should also mention that I have to add about 1/2 quart of oil every oil change / 5k miles. I changed my oil today and collected a sample to send to Blackstone Labs, something I read on Schwarttzy's site (https://schwarttzy.com/h3-hummer/) with hopes it might give me insight on the current state of my engine. I'll provide updates once I get the results from Blackstone Labs.

gamma195

I would eliminate the obvious first. I would change out the exhaust manifold to a non-cast one. That is what I had to do to mine. I have changed several cracked cast manifolds and gaskets on cars throughout the years. Almost all of them had a pronounced "tick" from the valves, either getting by the blown gasket or via a heat-expanded crack. It is also worth mentioning that you should consider an oil pressure gauge install. That way you can see if you have any oil related issues. But to be honest, I would start with the known problem which is the cracked manifold.

ludevick

Sorry for the late response. Personnel shifting at work got me all bogged down and haven’t had time to do much on the Hummer. I had the manifold and gasket replaced a few months ago as it was cracked. The sound isn’t noticeable until it heats up a bit and then it’s the worst right over 2k RPM. I’ll try the sea foam as well as a last ditch effort before taking it back to a shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

If it's cast iron, and you have access to a torch kit, I would drill out the end of the crack with a small drill bit (to prevent the crack from creeping), then Vee out the crack with a grinder and braze it with brass rod. It should hold. I've done other manifolds. When you heat it up the grain in the cast iron opens up and the brass rod flows in. It can be a very strong repair. Save yerself a few bucks. Just a thought.

Perhaps once the exhaust manifold is quieted down you'll be able to hear the lifter better to zero in on where it's coming from (and not piston slap).

Jeepwalker

If you don't have a mechanic's stethescope, a wood dowel works quite well. Up firm against your ear. Should be able to locate the tic...

EndeavoredH3

Was about a quart low 3,000 miles into my current oil change and added the 6cyl bottle of engine restorer. Needless to say I'm surprised with the results, the tick disappeared from idle, has significantly reduced my oil consumption and although this may be a placebo, I feel a bit more power in acceleration from a complete stop (This was before my E-fan conversion). My position with some performance additives has generally been deemed as snake oil, but this product has me impressed.

Guerrero

Was about a quart low 3,000 miles into my current oil change and added the 6cyl bottle of engine restorer. Needless to say I'm surprised with the results, the tick disappeared from idle, has significantly reduced my oil consumption and although this may be a placebo, I feel a bit more power in acceleration from a complete stop (This was before my E-fan conversion). My position with some performance additives has generally been deemed as snake oil, but this product has me impressed.

Hello EnadvoredH3, same problem here with a H3 3.5, exact same noise, did you finally resolved it? Any problem in these months by using Restore, Engine Restorer? What would probably be the cause of the noise?

Thanks you so much!
Guerrero

EndeavoredH3

Hello EnadvoredH3, same problem here with a H3 3.5, exact same noise, did you finally resolved it? Any problem in these months by using Restore, Engine Restorer? What would probably be the cause of the noise?

Thanks you so much!
Guerrero

The tick? Now nonexistent. I’m still burning through oil, but I’m having an oil leak in my rear main seal. Also, I believe my valve cover pcv is clogged which may be another cause of oil consumption.

I’ve had zero issues running the additive, but I’ve added about a quart or two since I did the oil change. (I’m only ~4,500 miles into this one).

The tick can be a lower oil pressure at the valve train, not enough oil, cam/valve clearance/lash, an oil passage block, or just a characteristic of the motor. I’ve heard the 5.3 has the same deal with the ticking and they deemed it a “characteristic”.