• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 flip key fob.... What a pain in the $$$

Happy Hummer

:)
So, I decided to purchase the key fob switch blade style found here....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...T+USA+MODEL+CLICKER+FOB+TRANSMITTER+&_sacat=0

Let me start by saying the overall fit, finish, look and quality for the product are there but what a pain the Hummer this turned out to be.

So, today I head to dealer (last place I wanna go lol) and as pleasant as they are/were they wanted ( $61 to program) (+ shop fees + $25 for each of the other oem fob's) (+ 1hr. In shop to program+ cost to cut key).
I pleasantly thanked them and said goodbye... Hahahaha

Ace hardware will not cut the key due to liability... Handy Andy, hardware Hank no bueno!!! Got alot of run around and b.s.
I can tell ya now this is a pain in the a$$ and not at all a joyous experience.

Is it the sellers fault of course not. I must say though it is a waste of precious time and resources. I'm now forced to go to a friggin lock and key Smith expert for a key lol. It is a bone head simple plain key just like I use for my locks at home but very few if any local shops want to touch it.
$15+ to cut a key is just crazy. If it were the regular key it's a $1.49+ tax...lol...:sigh:

If I could get a full refund on this fob I'd send it back in a heartbeat. I just don't want or need it that bad.

As of now $35.99 + couple hours wasted. Ugh!!!:no:

Anyone got any better ideas I'm all ears. If you've contemplated getting this fob I'll sell ya this one for cost I paid lol.
Seriously, I want to be able to use it and enjoy it but wow.... Oh well rant off!!

On a positive note the dealer programmed my oem key fobs (both of em) for $20.
I'm grateful I chose to purchase an exact replacement one at the same time I ordered the switch blade fob.:wink:

lowtrac

Do you have a Home Depot near you? I had three aftermarket keys cut there. They didn’t charge me anything because I brought my own blanks. Not sure if that’s their store policy, but it’s how it worked for me. Of course, I verbally released them from liability and I got one cut to test before doing the other two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atvspeed4

The problem is everyone you dealt with is a moron. There is nothing different to program the flip key verse the stock fob. Dealer tried telling me the same B.S so I went and bought a tech 2 to do them myself since we have a fleet of hummers now unfortunately lol. It legit takes me under 3 minutes to program the flip keys

As for cutting them, the ace hardware cuts them for free by us since we bring our own key with us. I was told the liability thing was a way for them to opt out because they cannot charge you due to their pricing being linked to the barcode for buying a new key. Easier for them to say it's "dangerous" and not do it.

They need to push the rollpin out and remove the key to cut properly at Ace. Make sure to put a dab of super glue in there when you put together as I've lost a rollpin which you cant find anywhere.

Happy Hummer

After watching videos on YouTube last night I realize that this is possible. The pin and key blanks can actually be gotten from GM.
That biggest laugh was that Ace hardware store was going to charge me the $1.49+ tax even with my own key lol!

BW_Hummer H3

Yeah I got mine cut and programmed for $50. I would avoid a dealership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Hummer

Wanted to give an update to this thread.

Sunday 09/23/18 went to Home Depot (your guys suggestion) and had a first test key cut on normal blank.
Tuesday 09/25/18 got switch blade key fob cut...

I can tell you all now they have the sweetest new key cutting machine at the one near me. It takes all the guess work out of it and all the mishaps seemed to be greatly diminished. The associate puts the key straight into one opening (as if you were starting your car) the computer analyzes the key and then reports all pertinent stats on screen. Then the clerk puts the blank into the machine (as if you were starting your car) . Couple minutes later done. It truly was that quick and concise. Really cool.
The new key fob switch blade key cut exact first time.

Now, only if programming the fob was this easy lol!