• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

READ THIS if your transfer case is noisy/whining in 4low

2010H3TAlpha

Just a quick heads up if you have noticed your transfer case is louder than normal in 4 low. Also if you have noticed silver in your transfer case fluid after your most recent flush. About two years ago my transfer case developed a very loud whining and I took it to the dealer for a fluid change. They found that the fluid was very dark with a silver consistency which means there is "light rubbing" of metal parts somewhere. They said it was normal for these cases and they put it back together. Just recently my transmission suffered a sprag failure and the rebuild shop noticed that my transfer case was also very noisy. They also noticed the fluid was yet again very dark with a silver consistency, barely a year after my 50k tcase service. I authorized them to pull it apart and we found something that is likely a common issue with all H3 cases.

There is a chain guard in place to keep the chains in our transfer cases from making contact with the inside of the case and potentially damaging the case. My builder found that one of the bolts that holds the chain guard to the case had backed out and not only was it flying around inside the transfer case, the guard itself was riding directly on the chain. Luckily there was no damage to the chain, gears, etc. I lucked out BIG TIME. My $660 reseal could have been a $1600 rebuild or worse if the case had been damaged. Now, on to the pics:

Spot in the case where the bolt holds the chain guard that had backed out:

NZ1aKN1.jpg

This bolt lived a very free life until a couple weeks ago. Looks at those tooth marks, I must have been so close to catastrophic failure:

2ul3AXC.jpg

Chain guard that was resting directly on the chain:

nOXYB4P.jpg

H8K0eFM.jpg

My builder said he's never seen one of these guards do what it is supposed to, even with a stretched chain, so we rebuilt the transfer case without the guard. I just did a little off-roading in my lower yard and WOW, it is as quiet as the day I brought it home, and 4low shifting is so much faster. Learn from me and get your transfer case checked out if it doesn't sound quite right.

08H3

Been there, done that. It's common, and I think you probably made the right choice not reinstalling it.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

650Hawk

Wow, that bolt was really close to grenading your whole TC! I don't know, I think I'd be more comfortable cleaning the threads out well, using some red locktite, and re-installing the chain guide, but that's just me.