Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23
  1. #16
    Bald Tire
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LagunaH1 View Post
    In that case, check your battery terminals and if they are good, then I think the alternator is the prime suspect despite having been tested.
    Roger that


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  2. #17
    Bald Tire
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Changing stock alternator to higher output one

    So then my original question comes back around. Can I use a 200a alternator as a replacement or will it muck up the electronics.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  3. #18
    Super Swamper
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA
    Posts
    3,365
    Thanks
    791
    Thanked 443 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denisegold View Post
    So then my original question comes back around. Can I use a 200a alternator as a replacement or will it muck up the electronics.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thatís a good question, one Iím not sure I can answer completely.

    I *think* the answer is yes, but Iíd be curious what 3Hummers and Hummech have to say on this topic

    I do know that you will want to make sure which ever alternator you choose, will produce enough amps at idle speed. The max rating will be at a certain RPM, just like the trucks engine has itís max torque. And HP at set RPMS


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon
    1995 Jeep ZJ V8


    NR6E

  4. #19
    Bald Tire
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LagunaH1 View Post
    Thatís a good question, one Iím not sure I can answer completely.

    I *think* the answer is yes, but Iíd be curious what 3Hummers and Hummech have to say on this topic

    I do know that you will want to make sure which ever alternator you choose, will produce enough amps at idle speed. The max rating will be at a certain RPM, just like the trucks engine has itís max torque. And HP at set RPMS


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Used my multimeter on battery 12.5 and when engine at idle ticked up to 14.56. Interesting thing is my gauge still does not show needle above 13? Maybe a bad gauge.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  5. #20
    Super Swamper
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA
    Posts
    3,365
    Thanks
    791
    Thanked 443 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denisegold View Post
    Used my multimeter on battery 12.5 and when engine at idle ticked up to 14.56. Interesting thing is my gauge still does not show needle above 13? Maybe a bad gauge.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That may be part of the issue right there. If your batteries show 12.5 volts when the truck is off, then that's good.

    14.56 volts is a good charge voltage.

    It COULD be just a not-so-accurage gauge in the dash, but that doesn't explain why your truck has a hard time starting sometimes....
    2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon
    1995 Jeep ZJ V8


    NR6E

  6. #21
    Bald Tire
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LagunaH1 View Post
    That may be part of the issue right there. If your batteries show 12.5 volts when the truck is off, then that's good.

    14.56 volts is a good charge voltage.

    It COULD be just a not-so-accurage gauge in the dash, but that doesn't explain why your truck has a hard time starting sometimes....
    Iím thinking it could be glow plug controller. But will be checking battery leads today.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  7. #22
    Super Swamper
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA
    Posts
    3,365
    Thanks
    791
    Thanked 443 Times in 309 Posts
    Tell us a bit more about what happens when your truck is having a hard time starting:

    Does the engine crank, but not fire?

    Does it crank slowly?

    What happens when out finally DOES fire? Does it sputter? Does it idle rough?
    2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon
    1995 Jeep ZJ V8


    NR6E

  8. #23
    Bald Tire
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Cables? or engine ground?

    Sounds like you are eliminating possible suspects. Best of skill/luck.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Question About Higher Mileage H3s
    By Acer4LO in forum HUMMER H3 2006-2010; H3T 2009-2010
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-29-2017, 12:08 PM
  2. Best high output alternator for I5 3.5 engine
    By Can007 in forum HUMMER H3 2006-2010; H3T 2009-2010
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-03-2017, 08:30 PM
  3. H3 Humming noise, front CV driveshaft bad, and play in front output shaft of TC..
    By Guerrero in forum HUMMER H3 2006-2010; H3T 2009-2010
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-19-2014, 10:10 AM
  4. changing out stock radio finally!!!!!
    By JonBishop in forum HUMMER H3 2006-2010; H3T 2009-2010
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 01:45 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Logout