• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rocky Road slider questions

H3V8

After doing the daystar body lift, I thought I would have enough room to use the OEM rock sliders as foot steps, but the extra inch between the sliders and the rocker panel isn't enough unfortunately. I was going to remove the rocker panels, but realized that would also be removing the weather stripping on the underside of the doors. Anyway, I was thinking of pulling the trigger on some rocky road sliders, but had a few questions for those of you that have them.

Does anyone happen to have a top-down sort of picture like the one for the kicker sliders? Do the regular sliders stick out as much as the kicker ones do ?(not really interested in the kicker) I'd like to be able to easily access the roof but it would be a major plus if I didn't have to hear from my wife/relatives that I need to get side steps to get in. Anyone use their rocky road sliders to get in and out regularly? Pic for reference:
h3t-kicker-2.JPG

I was also thinking of asking them to offset the sliders up 1 inch so their's no gap because of the 1 inch body lift. Would anyone advise against that? I haven't heard anything about them bending, so I'd assume they would be fine closer to the truck. Chances are 99% that I won't remove the body lift in the future, but on the off-chance I do, how much of a PITA would it be to relocate them 1 inch downwards?

Thanks in advance.

Traxx

These things are usually made on a jig, altering it without a vehicle to confirm fitment is probably not something they are likely to do. If anything I would see if they can just add another kickout under the front doors if you need steps.
I use them for steps to wash the roof just fine. I added some 1.5" grip tape to them though because there's nothing like slipping off and slamming your shins into them to make your day all bright and cheery. Not that I'd know. :)

amrg

Iirc the rocky road sliders do protrude out enough to be used as a step
Why dont you check if the oem sliders can be spaced outwards? With the 1" body lift I guess you have around 2" space between the body and the slider mount truss which could allow you to bring them out abit. It probably wont be too hard to fab some steel plates thick enough to go between the slider mounts and the frame!
Not a good pic but top down of rocky road sliders with the oem nerf bars underneath!
327c8075c07dd67e860e73bfdf564a04.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I use my RR's as a step. It's one of the primary reasons I bought them. If your body is further away from the RR steps, that's actually a good thing as the sliders can hit the body seam. The hits have not been enough to cause any serious damage, but still I'd rather have them not hit.

You can see the small dent here:
i-fcSnpLw-L.jpg

DFW Spartan

Edit - disregard. I miss read your original post.

H3V8 - I don't have a point of reference with regards to the standard RR Super Sliders, but the RR Kicker Sliders do stick out enough to be used as a step up into the T. Here's a top down pic of the RR Kicker Sliders on my T.

uSNqQSW.jpg

Last edited:

4speedfunk

If you have a specific design in mind...it’s often best to make your own. Once you decide to go this route, it doesn’t make much sense to invest in H3 sliders, only to cut them apart. Starting from scratch can also be daunting.

Instead, grab some FJ-Cruiser or Jeep JK sliders (often half the cost) and modify them to fit.

Smarter not harder.

08H3

Short answer is yes, they work fine as a step. And yes, they do flex. I would install them exactly as they are and that extra inch should keep them off your rockers. Mine will flex enough that they actually come up and touch.

Acer4LO

I absolutely love my rock road sliders. Personally they are way better than the OEM. I wouldn’t compare the standard sliders to a step bar however. Reason why is if you try to use them as a step bar it makes it more complicated to get in from my experience. This is how I have gotten in trying to use them:

1.) Put your right foot on the slider.
2.) Grab your roof plastic trim / gobi and pull your other foot up. (You are now standing on your sliders, chest above the roof)
3.) Awkwardly duck down and grab the steering wheel, sliding yourself into the seat.

That being said however I now use them to get into my Alpha. The main reason why is my H3 sits really high and I can’t lift my leg high enough when wearing jeans. I used to be able to stick my foot right into the cab and use the steering wheel to get in. However now I have the Rancho Lift (+ 4”), the Daystar Body Lift (+1”), and 38in Tires (+ 2.50”) the thing is way too high. So what I do now is I lift my knee onto the slider, grab the steering wheel, and push up with my foot that is on the ground to get up. Now I know not everyone is sitting this high, but trust me this technique comes in handy when wheeling and on uneven terrain.

Say for instance you want to try an RTI ramp. You drive up it on the driver side you can see how high you are going. You max out the suspension and now want to get out to take a picture. You are now 2ft to 4ft higher than you normally are since your rig is flexing. You jump down and take a pic. Now you have to get back in the thing. This is where this technique can come in handy.

I had to do this on my old 2006 H3 with no lift and 33s when I went up a RTI Ramp.

i-XSDh7mn-2558x1728.jpg

When you step on the sliders, they do allow you to access your roof pretty easily. They aren’t really that comfortable standing on them and you need to hold on to the roof to stay on, but they do the job. They are really really nice when you sink yourself in 2 or 3 feet of mud and you have to get out. Instead of having to trout through mud, you can stand on the sliders and climb along side of the truck and make your way onto your rear bumper or on your hood to get to your winch.

i-s9PVk8d-2558x1728.jpg

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Took a couple of pics this morning. Note that it may be more significant to have a pic with the door open to see how it works as a step. I haven't been able to step into my H3 yet with the door still closed :giggle:

i-3DfrdBK-L.jpg

i-6KrL65q-L.jpg

H3V8

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Looks like the kicker sliders do stick out a little more because of the kicker part, so I might go with that since getting to the roof without steps can be a hassle. Although the angle of the outer tube looks a bit different on the kicker, it might make the gap due to the body lift a little more noticeable.

EDIT: thanks for that pic alrock, I was wondering how they looked with the door open. That does seem like with some grip tape you'd be able to use them decently to get in and out without trouble. More for me to think about again :)

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I've not used grip tape on them but others have - you have to be careful as the tape tends to grab the back of bare legs.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I had Rocky roads on my previous h3 and am putting them on the current one. They are also useful in pivoting around trees if you have those where you wheel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk