• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 07 H3 lux has some noises

rustybacon54

So I recently started paying on my dad's 2007 H3 luxury with 118,000 on her. So far I've cranked the t bars, gotten an alignemt, POR-15 most of the rusty bits (MI rust lol), new CV shafts and seals, outfitter design front diff bushing set (only did the rear bushing), all fluids changed, and small cosmetics. Before I did any of this it's always had a clunk shifting into different gears, or if I'm cruising, let off, and then hit the gas. Since I've done the bushing it has stopoed clunking badily but it still does it and I usually hear/feel it when I let off and roll back on the throttle. Also if my truck is in park on level ground, I can put each hand on the prop shafts (the drive shafts coming out of the tcase) and rotate them in the opposite direction with about an inch of play. Is my tcase chain stretched? (The prop shafts really don't have play in the other directions) And now my final question. Since I've had it I have also noticed a chirping sound that's mostly audible going slower than 20mph ( Still does this too after all the work I've done). If I drive very slowly I can hear it the most, literally sounds like a bird chirping every couple feet my truck moves.

Thanks for the help guys. The knowledge on this site has helped me tremendously, y'all are awesome!

ludevick

I have the exact same clunk you’ve described under the exact conditions so I’m interested in any advice as well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Motor mounts could be a likely culprit. I'd also make sure that your exhaust mounts are all intact and that the exhaust is not hitting a crossmember. You should also inspect the side diff bushings to make sure they are not torn since you have not replaced those yet.

4speedfunk

H3 t-cases are notoriously sloppy. At 130k miles it’s due for a new chain. But even brand new t-cases have a good amount of lash.

Also take a look at the CV joint on the aft end of the front driveshaft. These will certainly “chirp” (among other sounds) when they go bad. Look inside the small cup...there is a rubber boot in there that often rips.

rustybacon54

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm debating on taking it off in the near future and replacing the chain and bearings. Anyone done that job? I know I can do it but the timing part is going to kick my butt. Also there's a good whirling/hum sound that starts to become noticeable after 25mph. I know the O.D. bushing will cause more noise but it seems excessive. I'm thinking it's driveshaft or bearing play.

Is anyone located in south east MI? I'd love some help from someone experienced with these things.

Last edited:

Happy Hummer

I'm confused lol!
And I'm not even a blonde.
The t-case chain and fork, bearings haven't timing dependency.

So, what chain are we referring to????
The chirping is most assuredly front drive shaft nearest t-case. I've rebuilt those a few times and let's just say it was not at all fun.

Traxx

Driveline slop on these seems to be quite a lot compared to other vehicles. I've always eased into the throttle rather than mash the skinny pedal, just a habit I picked up over the last decade of driving them.

Front drive shaft is simple to rebuild. Cut the boot, spread the circlip and pull off the cv joint one one end, standard u joint replacement on the other.

rustybacon54

I was referring to the tcase chain. The tcase output bearings seem worn too. I figured out what the chirping sound is from by having a family member roll forward slowly and I was holdiing onto the front while laying on a creeper lol. Turns out it's the passenger front wheel bearing or something in the brakes which I doubt. I'll have to jack it up and give the tire a good shake.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Driveline slop on these seems to be quite a lot compared to other vehicles. I've always eased into the throttle rather than mash the skinny pedal, just a habit I picked up over the last decade of driving them.

I thought I eased into the throttle to avoid those four wheel burnouts at launch with my I5. :giggle: