• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Newbie, SoCal Alpha owner in South OC

bigtuna

My wife kept complaining that my 2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 duramax was too high even though I adding running boards ...well it does have a 6" lift and 315's toyos ATs.. so I started looking around for a something that could pull my boat and be a famiy car the wife would enjoy. Then I came across the H3s and when I found out there was a V8 version....the hunt began.
So I figured the alphas were in the $11k+ range... most I came across where closer to $14k... Well I considered it and would eventually just sell the duramax and have the alpha. Then luck came my way... I was able to pickup a very clean alpha for $6600. Its in very good shape but it does have high miles 200k. Im ok with the miles...it runs amazingly well...and you know the trans and engine are easier to rebuild and get parts for.... I did all the oil changes.. diffs, trans service and transfer case..and engine..put some bilsteins 5100 all around. It has some very good front tires Hankook dynapros ATs in 285's but the rears are some off brand and need replacement.
I like this truck... just ordered a Superchip Flashpaq and it arrives Tuesday...hehehe and the fun begins.
image1.jpeg

Last edited:

bigtuna

Thanks for the warm welcome, Zach from Tustin … we are neighbors... just down the road from you. Schwarttzy, I already came across your website.. some great info there and I plan to buy a few things from you...did you ever upgrade the radio... I was watching the video of the 10mm adaptor and you mentioned you were going to upgrade... Ied like to put in a touch screen but haven't researched which one to do.. that's going on "the list" thx again all

bigtuna

Welcome! Good price for an alpha, does it happen to have the adventures package/rear locker?
Hello slchummer, it does have a rear locker, not the front locker tho...not sure on what packages its has.. it has heated seats and the thumping
monsoon radio and lots of chrome..how do I find out the "packages it has"...VIN is 5GTEN13L288119094, any help with what it came with OEM would be appreciated.

rascole

Welcome from just North of you. What a find for $6600. If your going to replace the 285's, upgrade to the 315's and we'll see you on the next trail ride.

SlcHummer

My understanding is that the luxury package gives you heated leather seats and the monsoon sound system. The adventure/off road package gives you the rear locker and 4:1 transfer case, so if you've got the rear locker button you've got the adventure package. Sounds like you've got the best of both worlds :). They didn't add front OEM lockers until 09, however you might have a cast iron front differential rather than aluminum since I believe some later 08 alpha's came with cast iron front diff's. First upgrade in my opinion should be removing all that chrome...personal opinion of course ;) lol.

bigtuna

My understanding is that the luxury package gives you heated leather seats and the monsoon sound system. The adventure/off road package gives you the rear locker and 4:1 transfer case, so if you've got the rear locker button you've got the adventure package. Sounds like you've got the best of both worlds :). They didn't add front OEM lockers until 09, however you might have a cast iron front differential rather than aluminum since I believe some later 08 alpha's came with cast iron front diff's. First upgrade in my opinion should be removing all that chrome...personal opinion of course ;) lol.
Hello Rascole...Im very tempted to throw a set of Toyos ATs 315's on .. for now Im gonna run with these until I can justify buying tires... the rears are nearly worn but up front the Hankooks Dyapros in 285 are like new... and I like them... so may buy a set for there rear and next set when these wear down the alpha will get the 315 upgrade.

SLCHmmer… it does have a cast iron diff up front. spent some time under her this weekend with the fluid changes I did noticed the front diff was not silver in color but black.....man I got drenched in automatic transfluid taking off the trans pan to replace the filter... im glad it was cooled down so as not to burn...

Last edited:

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Thanks for the warm welcome, Zach from Tustin … we are neighbors... just down the road from you. Schwarttzy, I already came across your website.. some great info there and I plan to buy a few things from you...did you ever upgrade the radio... I was watching the video of the 10mm adaptor and you mentioned you were going to upgrade... Ied like to put in a touch screen but haven't researched which one to do.. that's going on "the list" thx again all

I have upgraded the radio, loving Android Auto. I got few things to finish up, getting the back up camera mount and on-star microphone work with the aftermarket radio.

rascole

Hello Rascole...Im very tempted to throw a set of Toyos ATs 315's on .. for now Im gonna run with these until I can justify buying tires... the rears are nearly worn but up front the Hankooks Dyapros in 285 are like new... and I like them... so may buy a set for there rear and next set when these wear down the alpha will get the 315 upgrade.

SLCHmmer… it does have a cast iron diff up front. spent some time under her this weekend with the fluid changes I did noticed the front diff was not silver in color but black.....man I got drenched in automatic transfluid taking off the trans pan to replace the filter... im glad it was cooled down so as not to burn...

If money is tight that is a good plan, spend the money on servicing the 200k wear and tear items. You'll find nearly all the wear items are relatively easy to do in the driveway with the right tools and lots of help here on the forum. You're local enough to several members here that we/I can give you a hand.

SlcHummer

If money is tight that is a good plan, spend the money on servicing the 200k wear and tear items. You'll find nearly all the wear items are relatively easy to do in the driveway with the right tools and lots of help here on the forum. You're local enough to several members here that we/I can give you a hand.

Why can't you all live in UT lol. I agree with rascole, focus on the wear and tear items first. Most of them aren't difficult, this comes from a guy who before I bought my H3 in 2015 only worked on computers and my home. Btw you'd think with all the home repair tools you have that you could repair a vehicle...not exactly true lol.

bigtuna

Why can't you all live in UT lol. I agree with rascole, focus on the wear and tear items first. Most of them aren't difficult, this comes from a guy who before I bought my H3 in 2015 only worked on computers and my home. Btw you'd think with all the home repair tools you have that you could repair a vehicle...not exactly true lol.
Good advice and that's exactly what Im going to do … for now...I did get my Superchips Flashpaq and placed the 87 tune on it and certainly improved the performance some... I have the tools and knowhow to do just about any repair at home..Im a airline mechanic 30yrs now...next on the list is spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap...tires.. then just enjoy the truck for a while... I do like driving her. It really is hard to believe she has 200k miles because she rides so smooth.. only problem is Im getting the B2AAA code thrown every 120miles or so... will be cleaning the O2 sensors, and if that doesn't do it .. well then I probably cahnage them out and go with high flow catalytic converters … Ill just take it to a muffler guy I know in Santa Ana and have a custom exhaust done up